What we packed and how we fared

I think we did pretty well! We had one large and one small suitcase, plus one carryon each, and still had plenty of room to bring home lots of souvenirs.

Things we were glad to have brought with us:

- Bonine, Immodium, Excedrin, Imitrex, Sudafed, Tums

- Bandaids and alcohol wipes (major stingray hickey, hee)

- full-size bottle of conditioner (no way the travel sizes would have been enough for a week)

- nail clippers

- scissors

- small notebook and a few pens

- lots of $1- and $5- bills

Things we wished we'd had brought:

- Scotch tape

- refillable water bottles

- cord to hang wet clothing

- extra bathing suit (suits took forever to dry in the room)

- packets of Crystal Light or iced tea (punch and iced tea on the Lido weren't very good)

- small shower puff

- one more disposable camera than we thought we'd need (they're pricey and not great quality on the ship)

- everyone's addresses for postcards! So obvious that we completely forgot!

- more than one card that could be used for the safe (shopping cards etc). The one we brought got demagnetized and we weren't able to use the safe for the rest of our trip.

Brought, didn't need to use, but would bring again anyway:

- aloe

- power strip

- rain ponchos

- towelettes (ended up just using Purell)

- socks

- extra sweaters for inside the ship (was never cold)

- large clips

Common "must have" items that we didn't bring and wouldn't have had a use for if we had:

- duct tape (though I might bring it in the future)

- highlighters

- garment steamer

- alarm clock

- bungee cord

Best buys that we made specifically for this cruise:

- snorkels and masks

- water shoes

- expandable water-sport zippered tote that doubled as airline carryon

- disposable water cameras (much cheaper than on ship)

- waterproof neck case and silk money belt

Oh, and the week's largest expenditure: photos and photo developing, followed by bar bill (and we don't even drink that much!)

I hope this is useful to someone! :)

This type of list is good for a first timer to see. Although I do question why you would bring something along again that you packed and had no use for.

After numerous cruises we are getting it down to a science. We take no more than we need, no "extra" choices, nothing that is already provided by the cruiseline. Although we do bring along our own toiletries. Being a former hiar stylist I cannot bring myself to use any old shampoo and conditioner, I can tell the difference!

Your packing space is best used for items that are actually of use, rather than "what ifs". A first aid kit is essential, a highlighter pen can be left home. They do have pens in the cabins for your use. Many people bring along insulated mugs, we don't want the bother of packing them, nor washing them out. We have travel alarm clocks, haven't packed them since the one time I forgot and found we didn't really need it after all.

Every trip, our packing list gets shorter. However, bathing suits are essential. Since we spend several days in them on a cruise, I usually take 4 or more. We wear those more than casual clothing for daytime use.

My comment on photos is that, for $20 or so, you can have a nice professional portrait done. Try doing that at a decent photo studio at home (Sears, JCPenney doesn't count, I'm talking professional), you will spend probably $300 or more. Drink prices, just part of the vacation budget, we plan and save for that so it's no surprise. We're not big drinkers, either, a bottle of wine with dinner, a cocktail or two every day, our bar tab comes to around $300-400 for the week. It makes me wonder how much the people who get blasted must be spending :eek: !

This type of list is good for a first timer to see. Although I do question why you would bring something along again that you packed and had no use for.

We take no more than we need, no "extra" choices, nothing that is already provided by the cruiseline.

I make a distinction between "having no use for" and "didn't use but glad to have anyway," in the sense that if we'd needed them and not had them, I'd have kicked myself. For instance, it was simple luck that we didn't need the rain ponchos - the local forecasts for the ports had all predicted clouds or rain before we left home, but it was gorgeous every day. :) But I don't think they were a useless item to bring; if we had needed them, the inconvenience of finding and paying too much for them outweighed the couple of bucks and couple of inches of luggage space. So I'd bring them on a future trip and hope that they'd be unecessary again. :D

My comment on photos is that, for $20 or so, you can have a nice professional portrait done. Try doing that at a decent photo studio at home (Sears, JCPenney doesn't count, I'm talking professional), you will spend probably $300 or more. Drink prices, just part of the vacation budget, we plan and save for that so it's no surprise. We're not big drinkers, either, a bottle of wine with dinner, a cocktail or two every day, our bar tab comes to around $300-400 for the week. It makes me wonder how much the people who get blasted must be spending :eek: !

The photos are definitely a good value; I didn't think we'd buy so many but it just sort of happened! So that's how it ended up being the largest expenditure (not counting shore excursions or souvenirs here). Worth it! I'd tell people to plan on spending more on photos than you think you will.

And yes, getting drunk on a cruise must be a seriously pricey activity! :p

• 1 month later...
I think we did pretty well! We had one large and one small suitcase, plus one carryon each, and still had plenty of room to bring home lots of souvenirs.

Things we were glad to have brought with us:

- Bonine, Immodium, Excedrin, Imitrex, Sudafed, Tums

- Bandaids and alcohol wipes (major stingray hickey, hee)

- full-size bottle of conditioner (no way the travel sizes would have been enough for a week)

- nail clippers

- scissors

- small notebook and a few pens

- lots of $1- and $5- bills

Things we wished we'd had brought:

- Scotch tape

- refillable water bottles

- cord to hang wet clothing

- extra bathing suit (suits took forever to dry in the room)

- packets of Crystal Light or iced tea (punch and iced tea on the Lido weren't very good)

- small shower puff

- one more disposable camera than we thought we'd need (they're pricey and not great quality on the ship)

- everyone's addresses for postcards! So obvious that we completely forgot!

- more than one card that could be used for the safe (shopping cards etc). The one we brought got demagnetized and we weren't able to use the safe for the rest of our trip.

Brought, didn't need to use, but would bring again anyway:

- aloe

- power strip

- rain ponchos

- towelettes (ended up just using Purell)

- socks

- extra sweaters for inside the ship (was never cold)

- large clips

Common "must have" items that we didn't bring and wouldn't have had a use for if we had:

- duct tape (though I might bring it in the future)

- highlighters

- garment steamer

- alarm clock

- bungee cord

Best buys that we made specifically for this cruise:

- snorkels and masks

- water shoes

- expandable water-sport zippered tote that doubled as airline carryon

- disposable water cameras (much cheaper than on ship)

- waterproof neck case and silk money belt

Oh, and the week's largest expenditure: photos and photo developing, followed by bar bill (and we don't even drink that much!)

I hope this is useful to someone! :)

What is the duct tape for??

Were their enough place to see things snorkeling being you brought your own?? If so where did you go??

You can leave them out the next time because if you are in port and it is raining the cruise company will hand them out when you are leaving the ship. We were in port and when getting off it started to rain and they gave out thin but useable ponchos and the Disney ship which was next to us gave them out to. Each ship had a different color.

I get ponchos at the dollar store-2/$1 and they take up no room at all. Haven't used them (knock on wood) but will toss them if I do.

We always take a power strip--great for charging camera batteries, DH cell phone,heating my curling iron etc. Since there are only 2 outlets at the desk we think it works.

We also take a rechargeable flashlight--great to leave on in the bathroom at night (I always forget to flip the switch first!) so that the other party doesn't wake up.

I know what you mean about needing a "credit card" for the safe. Ireally like the lines thast have a safe where you create a numeric code instead.

misfit cruiser - - - I very much appreciate your list. We're leaving this weekend on our 1st - - just wanted to say thanks.

Happy ks - - - you said, "After numerous cruises we are getting it down to a science" Do you have a list that you'd be willing to share ?

cruisin' kathy - - - Thanks for mentioning the power strip, I'll need this because of all the things that I'll have to charge - - 1 or 2 outlets wouldn't "get-r-done"

Cox9000, I don't have a list per se, because most of my carryon toiletry kit is always packed, I just refill when I get home, or right before we leave again. I can list the things I've found most usefull for me, but your circumstance may be different. I do make a general list for clothing that I keep on my computer, changing the clothing items for each trip.

For her:

Makeup (minimal)

Skin care products in sample sizes

shampoo, conditioner, mousse, hairspray

body wash (I don't like their soap, except for hand washing and a little in-sink laundry)

hairbrushes,I use a lot of these, 4 or 5 when I travel (round brushes instead of curling iron)

deodorant

toothpaste/brush

contact lens kit

reading glasses

jewelry (always in my carry on or purse)

For him:

shave gear

toothbrush

deodorant

reading glasses

Clothes for her:

2 pair black pants for dinner, with 4 different tops for casual nights (wearing same outfit on first and last nights) one pair of shoes for these nights

1 long formal dress, one shorter formal dress (or pants) one pair of dressy heels

an evening bag

3 pair shorts

3 tank tops (or T's)

1 sundress

3-4 bathing suits (I'm wearing these more than anything else and don't want the same 2 all week)

1 pareo to use as a cover-up

one pair pool shoes

a (small) beach bag, mine is a duffel he will carry

one pair comfortable walking shoes (sandals or sneakers)

one walking outfit (we walk in the am or pm on the top deck) I sometimes re-wear a shorts outfit for this

6 pair underwear

3 bras

robe & pjs

1 pair pantyhose (depending on what I'm wearing, sometimes I don't need them)

I also wear the same outfit to disembark as I did to embark

Clothes for him:

2 pair slacks for casual nights, with 4 different shirts, same wearings as her above, one pair shoes for all

1 black suit, 2 shirts, 2 ties, i pair black socks, shoes for formal evenings

3 pair shorts

3 T's

running shorts (can be rinsed out in sink)

3 T's for running (these have to go to the laundry :eek: )

4 pair running socks

6 pair underwear

robe & slippers

3 bathing suits

sandals

running shoes

He does the same thing, re-wearing the same clothes for disembark as embark

A small first aid kit, containing a pain killer, stomache aid, cold meds, antibiotic ointment and a few bandaids. Also contains our prescription meds and vitamins.

Our camera, memory card and battery charger

reading light

a couple magazines

a couple bottles of water

a matchbook sized sewing kit

one cell phone, turned off

I may have missed a few items I just can't think of, some things are just always in my carry on and I don't recall at the moment. We use travel wallets (mine has a detachable "string") and I carry a large purse, only taking what's absolutely necessary. When we get to our destination, the purse is packed away with the luggage and I only use my wallet. We each take one credit card, our health insurance card, AAA card (if we are going to rent a vehicle), drivers license, our passports and any important telephone numbers.

Our travel documents are only the pages we need and the confirmation numbers of hotels, rental cars, air travel and travel insurance numbers.

We leave behind anything that we've found is already provided by the cruise line, such as pens, note paper, cups, music, books. We have been lucky and have never needed duct tape, I'm the type who would probably ditch a badly torn suitcase and buy a new one at the airport or ship. However, it may be because we don't pack them to the bursting point and use luggage straps, both things help alleviate stress on the zippers.

We use the ships laundry/dry cleaning service and consider it just part of the vacation budget. It's actually a lot cheaper than buying more clothes.

I've found that, in the long run, just keeping the toiletry kit packed up all the time works best for us. It always takes the longest to organize, so over the span of a few years I've purchased doubles of what we always use at home and leave them in there. I can pull it out and be ready with my clothes in an hour or so, to go almost anywhere.

I truly think that the more you travel, the more you realize what is important to you and what can be successfully left behind. On a recent cruise, we met an older, retired couple who travel a lot, they were cruising for nearly 30 consistent days on 3 different ships, returning home in between each cruise. She told me she had them packed in 3 sets of carry ons before they first left. They only travelled with carryons, no matter how many days they were gone.

Depending on how many are in our cabin (we do have 2 teens) we sometimes pack along an over the door shoe holder. While it isn't a big deal for 2 in the cabin, it can make or break your week if you have the family in such a small space. We hang it on the outside of the bathroom door and use it for sunglasses, sunscreen, keycards, hairbrushes, hats, papers etc... We also have found the sweater type closet hangers invaluable to keep all the shoes off the floor. Both of these organizers are cheap, fold flat, weigh almost nothing and actually make the bottom of your suitcase flatter and easier to pack your other stuff. We're ones who don't deal well with clutter and get easily frustrated by not being able to locate important things, like the keycards. Anyone who has teens, or had teens at one time will completely understand.

I have 2 luggage tags fastened to the outside of each suitcase (I now fasten with cable ties, discarding the leather strap). I place a copy of our itinerary and a card with our address inside each piece of luggage, even in our carry on luggage, camera bag and my purse.

I hope this helps :)

We were glad we brought large cold drink cups and also hot ones.

WE would fill the large cups with ice and then add lemonade or iced tea and we sat out on the decks without having to get up for a cold drink....instead we sat and read for longer stints- it also diluted the drinks....more water/ less sugar.

so many people complimented us on them and were wishful they had thought of it.

They were plastic but had two layers so they stayed cold for a long time.

Got them in Marshalls or a TJ Maxx.

We do not drink a small 6 ounce serving of coffee or tea in the morning...

so...our thermal hot cups were used and the lids kept us safe from crazy people

banging into our trays at the buffet area....

and it was nice to stroll with. Made taking the stairs always an option because you didn't have to worry about spilling.

We least used the Brita water bottles with filters (we did not need to use) we had brought. We would leave them home next time and take extra bottles of the sports drink for walking excursions.

We brought a full bottle of aloe and had to use it alot and also shared with our tablemates.

Brought gallon size zip-loc bags. I used these in my carry-on for fluids like shampoo, conditioner, VERY small container of clothing detergent, and small plastic bottle 1/4 full of dish detergent for my cups....also handy for thowing digital camera into in the rain, and for collecting sea glass or seashells..

Put medication in one- to keep it sorted and easily reachable in the drawers.

Used another for the what-if items- Immodium, band-aids, Benadryl cream and pills, hydrocortisone, bug spray, thermal heat pack for back.needle and thread, seam ripper (my formal gown strings might have needed to be removed prior to dinner as they kept popping out.)

This was all in my carry-on. This way if scanner securtiy people asked you to open case, it was easy to pull out and sort thru.

If I was going to a sunny area, I would never leave aloe at home.

Sometimes hard to find a pure aloe....best to bring what you use...

I had a highligher- never used it....

Brought sticky notes, & they were used as bookmarks, and to share e-mails with others...

Had an extension cord- never used it. WISHED I had brought a hairdryer!!!

Knew the Zenith ones were not supposed to be great...the postings on this site were correct.

Used my curling iron.

Had a water-tight case for money/keys- never used it.

Took over 800 pics and had digital camera, extra battery, charger, and 2 gigs of memory....

Took my Ipod shuffle fully charged.

Only used it a little last days of cruise- but I was glad I had taken it. Otherwise it was in the safe.

The rental fee on one of them is 10$ a day.

A heavily used item was individual packages of eyeglass cleaner. I wear glasses as does my husband for reading. We also wore sunglasses daily- so we were constantly using a packet to clean glasses. We usually used one for both our glasses. Sea spray needs to be cleaned off....

We both had small bottles of cleaner, but both of us forgot them at work...so we used the packets.

We got caught in rain twice (I had meant to buy dollar store ponchos) AFTER we got off the ship- so no free handouts...

I had bought over the door holder- left it HOME and was glad I did- if I had a 3rd or 4th person in room- I would have brought it- no need for just two people.

I had bought instant individual packets of iced tea and punch- they got left home and were never missed. Ships iced tea and lemonade, and punch were fine.

Our shower had a clothesline in the wall, and we each had taken 2 bathing suits and they dried fine.

We each brought a book we had been meaning to read. When I looked over the ship's library- I couldn't find anything I had not read.

In one week, we only had time to read twice....so althought I read seriously fast, I did not finish the book. Few more pages to go...

Bernadette

The cure for coffee (bumped at the buffet) is to order it from room service, drink a couple of cups there before going to the dining room, no one bumps you while carrying your own tray around! We just don't do the buffet at breakfast, too crowded, yucky food, have to carry your own tray, the dining room is far more civilised. It really doesn't take any longer than the buffet, unless you care to linger.

For lemonade (or other cold beverage like iced tea at the pool) get two cups, keep one under the lounge, out of the sun.

Blow dryers are a toss-up. I've not taken mine and missed it, taken it and not unpacked it.

I'm with ya, happyks.....no matter where I am going or how long I am going to be gone, I pack in a 24 inch roll-on-board and a small Travelpro carryon.... I travel a lot and know exactly what I will be taking, depending upon where I am going. I pack the morning I am going to the airport - takes about 15 minutes. And, takes about the same time to unpack when I arrive at my cabin. I don't take any "what if" things at all. My "medical kit" is 3 bandaids, small tube of Neosporin, ibuprofen and Imodium. I wear 1 pair of shoes and pack 2 others; nice flat heeled black dress shoes which can be worn on the formal nights and also other evenings in the dining room and one pair of sandals. I usually wear the sneakers. I don't take an "evening bag". Nor would I think of lugging bungee cords, power strips and etc....I have lived out of my little roll-on-board for up to three weeks with a couple of trips to a laundry....

I love to travel and do so frequently. I wish there was a way to go without luggage at all - wouldn't that be nice?:p

What is the duct tape for??

Were their enough place to see things snorkeling being you brought your own?? If so where did you go??

Duct Tape - great for luggage with broken latches, holding up sheets of paper on walls, repairing garment tears (from the inside of course.) Here's a longer list...101 Uses for duct tape. (#65 is my favorite)

Snorkle gear - most Caribbean ports offer some form of water sport activities that almost always include snorkling. We always bring our own tubes (squeamish about renting one used by someone else) but leave the masks and fins at home to save space and weight. We tried just the mouthpiece once but it didn't work on the tubes provided.)

but next cruise I will take my own coffee and coffee pot.

Ship coffee was way strong and no matter how much I diluted it with milk or 1/2 and 1/2- it was still not like the lightly roasted I drink.

Yes we could have ordered room service everyday, we tried to be out of the cabin as much as possible, as soon as possible- except for the last morning.

We had it delivered for 6/630 and it came at 615.

Three cabins I know of never got their wake up call that last morning....

Our buffet had a made to order omelets area and also freshly made pancakes and Belgian waffles to order.

I had the Belgian waffles a few times that week. Added fresh fruit and I was set.

The last morning was the ONLY morning the buffet was really crazy & crowded.

We made sure to get to at least one breakfast and one lunch in the restaraunt area and next time will try to do it more....

I can see why someone would bring a fan, but although we use one

also nightly- I never considered bringing one.

These boards offer up a lot of great suggestions and each traveler looks at ideas and mulls over whether it might be a right choice for them.

When we take car trips, we never bring coffee cups or drink cups....

Regarding the hair dryer. I was the only woman at our table with longer hair. I was envious of those with short cuts- easy to air dry. If there weren't 2 formal nights- a hair dryer would not have mattered as much to me....I usually don't travel with a hair dryer.

We had scotch tape, but only because I chose to decorate our cabin door.

We had the luxury of overpacking as much as we wanted

this trip.

Since we left the kids home, we didn't have to jettison our stuff to cut down on room in suitcases to make room for their stuff.

I definitely learned so much from these boards....and the many people willing to share their lists and also share why.

I will make much better clothing choices for next trip. I had taken a few pairs of summer weight slacks- never wore them. The dining room was never as cold as people had reported it to be, so I wore skirts instead.

Wish I had taken more shorts...they take up so little space.

Bernadette

>>>>What is the duct tape for??

Duct tape is an extremely tough, clothed backed adhesive tape. Very sticky and as strong as thin rope. As far as cruising, it can be used to repair luggage (or used as a safe guard for that over stuffed bag), clothing (from the inside). If needed, drapes can be held back, clothes line fabricated, closet door held shut (rough seas) and the old home made lint roller are a few.

Two cruises ago, came in handy when my wife’s roll along self-destructed in mid airport.

This stuff comes in large industrial rolls (about three pounds, to big for cruising) and a small three inch roll that can be stepped on to become flat(perfect to pack).

Anything that doesn't kill you, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

We were on the Mariner 2006 and she had a small clothes line in the shower and it worked well!!!

As for items to bring or not to bring, and as a firstimer last time.....I packed like I had access to a Wal-Mart, I didn't go crazy with "what-if's" We were gone a total of 13 days and for those 13 days if I needed something that badly I bought it no matter the expensive cost or lived with out it??!!

I got all 4 of us (husband-13yo-10yo and myself) into 2 large checked bags and we each had a school sized back pack as a carry-on!!

I think too many people view it as if they are moving onto the ship......I hate to break it to them but the ship does kick you off at the end and you do have to go home!!!!

I wanted to make a list to campare when we returned home as to what came with and was used or not used but I was having too much fun to think about that stuff......don't panic, stress or get worried about having that one special something or another....you can buy it or live without it for that all mighty 7 day period!!! Now if you are doing one of those 45 nighters around the world cruises, by all means panic and stress and worry about the contents of your luggage.....that would surely get costly to buy the things forgoten!!!

Cruising is to be laid back-lazy, don't fret, be happy vacation!!!! Kick back smile and when you go home you will have all the things you wanted, wished you had, or should have brought with you back!!!:D

WOW, what a great resource this website is. First-time cruiser, so all suggestions are making the jitters go away. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

One thing I have on my list that I haven't seen yet is.........massage oil/lotion. Granted, we'll be on our honeymoon, so maybe my motives are somewhat selfish. :-)

Happy cruising! I cannot wait!!

Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/2006

Archived