Wine - Is this right?

Astronomer

From the Carnival website - Things you should know

----------------------------

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board.

Fine wine or champagne may be brought on board during embarkation only. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the Dining room for consumption, a $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged to the guest; otherwise, the guest may only drink the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of a stateroom. The wine and/or champagne may NOT be brought into any other public lounge or area.

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or the embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and discarded.

---------------------------------------

If I read that right, I can bring wine on board to my stateroom, openly no smuggeling. I realize there is a $10 corkage fee in the dining room, no problem I understand and will gladly pay that.

But I was surprised to see I can bring wine on board, Is that right or has it changed?

Question? Are wine coolers wine or beer? Most are labeled as flavored malt beverages? What catagory do they fall in? Not that I drink the stuff:eek:, but I do have a DD that does.

Budlight, beer in a wine bottle sounds awful. I'm thinking flat, hot. Kinda like keg beer in college:)

Question? Are wine coolers wine or beer? Most are labeled as flavored malt beverages? What catagory do they fall in? Not that I drink the stuff:eek:, but I do have a DD that does.

Budlight, beer in a wine bottle sounds awful. I'm thinking flat, hot. Kinda like keg beer in college:)

I don't think it matters, because I am pretty sure they don't fall under the definition of "fine wine" anyway. :cool:

Officially - I don’t know

In reality, as you said, if you look closely at the label it will say Malt beverage. 95% of all Wine coolers sold in the US don’t have any wine in them at all, it is basically flavored beer. Not that it is a bad thing, the company I work for makes a ton of money selling these "Wine Coolers".

I wonder if they would allow me to bring a 6 bottle carrying case of fine wine on a 7 day cruise.

After the TSA confisated my booze that I had placed in other bottles before my flight to miami, I learned a lesson. Leave booze in original bottles when you fly, then transfer them to plastic before you board. (the plastic is so that it wont leak or look like booze :) )

Also I found out before we boarded the boat and managed to get to a liquor store and score some merlot and cabernet for spritzers. I carried 3 bottles in my carry on luggage and my wife had 3 in hers. So this year I am considering asking my local vintner if he would bottle me up some morgan and good vodka :) then I can take my fine wine on in my carry on!

this is only a thought not that I will ever try it :)

We have a couple of local vinyards. I like the idea of bottling your own. I carried on wine on our last cruise. But they did stop me before we embarked and checked my carry on. Out of 4 adults and 4 kids, I was the only one toting the booze. Had vodka in water bottles. They took everyone of them:mad: Let me keep the wine though. DH did have backup in his suitcase - but it was bourbon, which I don't drink.:rolleyes:

A few odd and meaningless notes on wine

There are currently 4 specific SKU's of Boons Farm that is wine based, sort of, but they are fairly rare. Again 95% of them are not.

Box wine can be fine wine, the box is just packaging, depends on what you buy. In some other countries the newest thing is that some of the best wine has twist off caps. This has not been largely introduced in the US yet because of the stigma of twist off caps.

Some 33% of the corks in the US are not cork anymore, they are synthetic, and with the growing wine market this is going to increase swiftly. For safety reasons twist off caps are likely to be a growing factor, it is too easy to inject something through a cork. They are still doing trials in some areas.

Australian wine is the fastest growing new winemakers, some really good wine is starting to come from down under. They are the first wines to actually rival California wines in competition since we passed the best French wines in the dust some 20 years ago.

A few odd and meaningless notes on wine

There are currently 4 specific SKU's of Boons Farm that is wine based, sort of, but they are fairly rare. Again 95% of them are not.

Box wine can be fine wine, the box is just packaging, depends on what you buy. In some other countries the newest thing is that some of the best wine has twist off caps. This has not been largely introduced in the US yet because of the stigma of twist off caps.

Some 33% of the corks in the US are not cork anymore, they are synthetic, and with the growing wine market this is going to increase swiftly. For safety reasons twist off caps are likely to be a growing factor, it is too easy to inject something through a cork. They are still doing trials in some areas.

Australian wine is the fastest growing new winemakers, some really good wine is starting to come from down under. They are the first wines to actually rival California wines in competition since we passed the best French wines in the dust some 20 years ago.

remonortsA, Where do you work and can I get a job there?!?!?!:D

I understand that not only did califronia wine surpass french wine, but I understand that a blight destroyed almost all fof the french grapes, it was only after the california vintners send cutting to franch that they were able to somwhat begin a recovery. Not entirely sure just someting I believe I read somewhere....er um...never mind....

Astronomer, I had a decent Australian Shirez the other day. It was Thirsty Lizard. Went back to store to get more and they had sold out. It was cheap or inexpensive if you don't want anyone to think you (me) drinks cheap:) wine.

I have found several bottles of wine recently that have synthetic corks.

I didn’t know that about French wines and a blight, I will have to do some reading. thanks

This IS a weird place to work, When I first hired on here 5 years ago I went to a business meeting and they started opening bottles of wine and passing around the glasses I about fell over.

A class on wines is required for new employees, you would laugh, the put down wine snobs in the first 2 min of the class. First thing they told us, if you like a wine then you like it, no expert on wine is going to change that, and if you don’t like it, then you don’t. They told us never to let anyone tell us what we are supposed to like and not like.

I do have to say that my taste has change over the last 5 years though, toward the more expensive. Fortunately I get a tremendous discount on those.

I didn’t know that about French wines and a blight, I will have to do some reading. thanks

This IS a weird place to work, When I first hired on here 5 years ago I went to a business meeting and they started opening bottles of wine and passing around the glasses I about fell over.

A class on wines is required for new employees, you would laugh, the put down wine snobs in the first 2 min of the class. First thing they told us, if you like a wine then you like it, no expert on wine is going to change that, and if you don’t like it, then you don’t. They told us never to let anyone tell us what we are supposed to like and not like.

I do have to say that my taste has change over the last 5 years though, toward the more expensive. Fortunately I get a tremendous discount on those.

Please...PLEASE...i want a job there....oh please....pretty please....

LOL!!!!!

I am going to have to find out which department is experimenting with that! OMG we have to have some research done in restaurants somewhere! In New Zealand if no where else, as I know they are using more twist caps.

Really funny!

And I don’t have an answer.

Archived