Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Australia & New Zealand Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 11th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Radiance of the Seas - Boarding time, alcohol and nightclub

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has sailed on the Radiance of the Seas out of Sydney or any other RCC ship out of Sydney. In particular anyone who has done a short break or weekend cruise.

We are travelling with a group of friends on the 2 night cruise departing 15th November 2012.

My specific questions are:

1. The ship is scheduled to depart at 10pm. What time would we expect that we would be allowed to board? (ball park figure)

2. Someone has told me that we will not be able to purchase alcohol until we have left Sydney Heads. Is this true? What does everyone do until after 10pm if it is?

3. Is there a nightclub or similar venue on the Radiance (we are child free on this trip!)

4. What would be the general demographic on these short cruises? We are a group of couples ages ranging from 30-60.

Any other tips/suggestions or opinions on the short cruises leaving Sydney in particular would be appreciated.

Thankyou.
Sailed - Carnival Spirit - 8 nights - April 2013
Sailed - Carnival Spirit - 11 nights - January 2014

Old May 11th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

1. Not sure - the cruise I sailed left around 5-6pm and we had no difficulty boarding at 11:30am.

2. This is partially true. You can purchase alcohol for your own consumption as soon as you're on board. You can't purchase duty free alcohol from the shops on board until after the ship has sailed.

3. The Viking Crown Lounge on Deck 13 has a disco/nightclub.

4. Sorry, can't help here. I've never done anything shorter than a 1-week cruise (and that was with P&O).

Old May 11th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1111 View Post
1. Not sure - the cruise I sailed left around 5-6pm and we had no difficulty boarding at 11:30am.

2. This is partially true. You can purchase alcohol for your own consumption as soon as you're on board. You can't purchase duty free alcohol from the shops on board until after the ship has sailed.

3. The Viking Crown Lounge on Deck 13 has a disco/nightclub.

4. Sorry, can't help here. I've never done anything shorter than a 1-week cruise (and that was with P&O).
Thanks for your reply. So just to clarify, we will be able to purchase drinks from the bars, just not the duty free shops?
Sailed - Carnival Spirit - 8 nights - April 2013
Sailed - Carnival Spirit - 11 nights - January 2014

Old May 14th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum81 View Post
Thanks for your reply. So just to clarify, we will be able to purchase drinks from the bars, just not the duty free shops?
Affirmative.

Old May 11th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum81 View Post
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has sailed on the Radiance of the Seas out of Sydney or any other RCC ship out of Sydney. In particular anyone who has done a short break or weekend cruise.

We are travelling with a group of friends on the 2 night cruise departing 15th November 2012.

My specific questions are:

1. The ship is scheduled to depart at 10pm. What time would we expect that we would be allowed to board? (ball park figure)

2. Someone has told me that we will not be able to purchase alcohol until we have left Sydney Heads. Is this true? What does everyone do until after 10pm if it is?

3. Is there a nightclub or similar venue on the Radiance (we are child free on this trip!)

4. What would be the general demographic on these short cruises? We are a group of couples ages ranging from 30-60.

Any other tips/suggestions or opinions on the short cruises leaving Sydney in particular would be appreciated.

Thankyou.

great ship ...not sure about the boarding time we boarded at 11am and sailed at 5pm.disco in viking crown lounge is good ....you can ,drink eat and have fun as soon as you get on board ...there will probally be shows and activities before you sail....have an early dinner,head up rto theschooner bar or up on deck....then have a blast at 10pm sailaway around the pool.from memory i think the disco gets reved upround 11pm

you will love the ship.

Col

The Fox has sailed on:
2013 Rhapsody of the Seas
2013 Carnival Spirit
2012 Voyager of the Seas
2012 Radiance of the Seas
2011 Sea Princess
2010 Pacific Jewel - August
2010 Pacific Jewel - April
2009 Rhapsody of the Seas
2009 Dawn Princess
2008 Rhapsody of the Seas
2008 Sun Princess
2006 Pacific Star
2005 Superstar Virgo
2004 Superstar Leo
2001 Superstar Virgo
1974 - 1995 Fairstar x 9
1974 Fairsky
???? Australis
1973 Northern Star
1972 Ocean Monarch
???? Canberra
1971 Himalaya
1971 Oronsay
1970 Orcades

Old May 11th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our cruise on the Radiance sailed at 10pm and we were onboard with a drink in hand at 11-30am.

There is a nightclub and it is usually packed and has great security. They check people's age if they look young and everything. Staff stand above the crowd and do crowd control. For example one young lady was trying to attract some attention by lifting her shirt up and exposing herself. The Cruise Director came over the PA System saying put the girls away or you will be sent away. thought this was great as you wants to see that or read about her being abused in some way.

Love the Radiance, Enjoy!

Pacific Sun - Bali 31 Jan 2010, Pacific Sun - Food & Wine 22 August 2010, Pacific Sun - 2 nights of fun 8 October 2010, Pacific Dawn - Pacific Islands - 20 Nov 2010, Pacific Sun - East Coast Queensland 15 March 2011, Norwegian Pearl - Inside Passage Alaska 5 June 2011, Radiance - 18 Dec 2011 NZ, Rhapsody - 3 Feb 12 3 nights of fun, Radiance - 12 Feb Tasmania, Pacific Pearl 3 Jun 12, Sun Princess - 2 nights 22 October 2012, Voyager 13 Jan 13,

Old May 12th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Unfortuately you will not be able to purchase any duty free on these short cruise to nowhere cruises..

Sue

More Recently
2004 Pacific Princess (Fiji, Vanuatu,New Caledonia)
2006 Star Princess (Darwin to Bangkok)
2008 Diamond Princess (Sydney to Auckland)
2009 Dawn Princess(Cherry Blossom, Asia, Japan, PNG,)
2009 Diamond Princess Bangkok to Sydney
2010 Diamond Princess Singapore to Sydney
2011 Volendam Sth Pacific
2011 Radiance of the Seas Long Dinner Party
2012 Dawn Princess Mel/Syd
2012 Dawn Princess Syd/Brisbane
2012 Aegean Odyysey Instanbul to Venice
2012 Radiance of the Seas
2013 Ocean Princess Honolulu/Tahiti/Tonga
2013 Celebrity Solstice New Zealand
2014 Voyager of the Seas
2014 Azamara Journey India to Athens via Suez Canal