Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Lose Before You Cruise

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Lose Before You Cruise A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.

Old March 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thats funny about 'the other wife", I bet you do have to do a lot for him. I had Best Buy set up my tablet when I bought it, only took the gal a few minutes to get it done, me would have taken hours.

How is Bill doing with the tube down his throat, can he feel it, bet he will be glad to get it out!

The other corned beef dinner we had on Tuesday was much better and they had dessert and an Irish band there. After dinner I went to line dancing, after 2 hours my feet and legs were really tired.

The train and the bus worked just fine. My friend Pat said she had never ridden on a train before so it was a new experience for her. When we got out of the Ogilvie station we just had to cross the street and get the #124 bus to Navy Pier. We ate at a nice restaurant with a great view of the lake, then went on to the flower show. They had some really pretty displays. I bought a bamboo water fountain, it has to be delivered because he didn't have any and they were back ordered. I should get it around the end of April he said. Then I"ll have to get a really big pot to put it on. He charged me $80 including the delivery for the fountain and the pump. I didn't think that was too bad, although I have never priced them anywhere. He said they were the distributors and nursery and flower stores carried them. We didn't realize that the bus takes longer to go back to the station then to get to the pier so we missed the train we were going to take back. It worked out good though because the 5:16 we got was an express so not so many stops. It would have been nice to meet you down there, one day hopefully we can get together.
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old March 15th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Sharon, I called him a little while ago and he is doing fine. He said it was no problem having it removed. He went back down 2 hours earlier than when he was supposed to go, because he wanted to avoid the traffic. He could feel it while swallowing and the monitor that he wore around his neck was not the best for comfort. So now I am sure he is glad it is over. Now he just has to wait for the results and for the scheduling of the surgery.

It sounds like everything worked out fine for the flower show. If it could have been done on the weekend. I thought we might be able to talk our Bill's to accompany us and those two could amuse themselves. There will be other opportunities down the road.

We are going to a fund raiser on Saturday and the fair will be corned beef and cabbage. It sure is a nice day today.

Kathy

Adventure Of The Sea-1-28-2007-SJU-Caribbean 7 Days
Constellation-1-28-2008-FLL-Caribbean 11 Days
Journey-1/31-2009-MIA-Caribbean 12 Days

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The Rocks."

What lies behind us and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I forgot all about having a dr appmnt this afternoon, luckily I looked at the calendar around 1pm and saw it at 3:45. It was just to get my prescriptions refilled since she hadn't seen me for about a year. She gave me a pnuemonia shot, said I should have one now while I'm not sick and told me to schedule an appmnt for a bone density test and blood work. I used to take Fosamax for years, then they came out and said after 5 years it wouldn't do any good and might actually cause harm. Now I don't take anything so she wants to see if I have lost any bone. Also I'm going to stop taking my cholesterol pill for 2 weeks and see if I feel any different. It seems I am so stiff when I get up from sitting only a little while. Cholesterol medicine can damage muscle tissue so thats why we are seeing if there is a difference or not.

When I got home Bill had turned on the outside water and gotten the hoses out. It hit 80 degrees this afternoon. Then we ate dinner and went to the resort. The steam room was great and so was the pool. Only one young couple was there when we arrived and they left soon after. Then just as we were leaving around 9:15pm 6 more people came in, so we timed it just right for a relaxing time.

That would have been fun for all 4 of us to get together! Maybe after Bill gets his surgery and is all better we can arrange something.

I was looking into the flights from Ohare to Dallas then Dallas to San Antonio then back to Ohare, price was $878.00. Thats without a car or hotel, so its way too high a price, we might just have to settle for going to Dallas for the birthday party and do the other a separate trip some other time.
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old March 16th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Sharon, very lucky you checked you schedule to see you had the appointment. I never heard that about Cholesterol that is something one should know. It sounds like you did get lucky at the resort. I do not like a lot of people running around either when I am at a pool.

We are supposed to go to Hawaii next Wednesday. We are also flying on his passes. With the merger being complete now they have changed a lot of things and made it more difficult for us to fly now. So he has to look and see how everything looks and that will determine if we go or not. Also a lot will depend what the Dr says from the test and when he schedules the surgery.

That is a lot of money for such a short time. So what do you think you are going to do? I cannot believe this weather. He is also taking out our hose and draining all of the gas out of the snow blower today. Tomorrow they are coming to clean our pond and start it up for the season. One month early for that. I think he said he is going to buy fertilizer and put it down on the grass today.

I went last night after work and got a pedicure and manicure for our upcoming trip. If all goes right we will be drinking Mi Ti's on the beach in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village next week.

Kathy

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The Rocks."

Old March 16th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I hope everything works out for you so you can get to Hawaii, would be great to get away for a little while for both of you.

I reversed the order from ORD to DFW to SAT to ORD and the price is a little cheaper. So starting out in San Antonio wouldn't be a bad idea, going to check it out with Bill and see what he thinks. I had also looked at the wrong dates thinking she would have his party the weekend before, but she is having it the weekend after on May 5th. Still would need to get hotels and car rental.

Beautiful day again today!
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old March 19th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

We got a lot done yesterday, Bill got the mowers going and rototilled the garden, I cut down the old asparagus stalks and the mums. Now everything can get a little more sun and bloom. We were so tired and had aching muscles from all the bending and stretching.

Well you only have a couple of days left until you get to go, hope it works out and they can schedule anything medical that needs to be done when you get back.

Going to look for flights again today and tomorrow, I heard that the rates sometimes go down on Tues or maybe it was Wed?
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old March 20th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Sharon, we are leaving tomorrow morning. We are getting picked up at 7:30 and the flight leaves at 10 am. Direct into HNL. So it is going to be a long time crammed in coach. We return home from SAN on April 1.

So you have it all figured out what you want to do with the flights, but you have not purchased your tickets yet? I have been so busy at work, I did not get home yesterday until after 8. One reason my car would not start and I had to call to get a jump. I am going to have to get a new battery.

How about this weather. Can you ever remember being this warm so early. It is nice at night cooling off. I can't believe weeds are cropping up already.

I will try to check in once in a while. Enjoy the weather.

Kathy

Old March 20th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thats sounds wonderful!! Have a great trip--enjoy and relax!

I got our flights and the hotel in San Antonio, still need the hotel in Ft Worth/Dallas area and a car.

We will leave just before you get back, but only going for a week, can't leave Tinker too long.

Hope our grass doesn't need cutting before we go but I bet it does. I love this weather, sure beats 30's and 40's.
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old March 24th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hope you are enjoying beautiful Hawaii, thought I better post a little somethimg to keep us on the first page.
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Sharon, we got home yesterday. The weather in Hawaii was great. San Diego was much cooler. The flights were rough, and Bill was getting sick a lot. I am back to the grind today so things are crazy.

I guess you on a short vacation. I hope everything works out OK. Enjoy and we'll talk more when you return.

Kathy

Old April 4th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hadn't been checking in, so was surprised to see that you are back. I was thinking you were coming back next week for some reason. Thats great the weather was good, Bill's daughter was out there to see her son and it rained the whole time. Too bad about your Bill not feeling good, hard to enjoy a vacation like that! Is he getting something done pretty quick now that you are back? Bet you have a lot of work to catch up on, they always seem to save it for you.

We had Bills bday party last Saturday and all the kids/spouses/signifacant others/grandchildren and great grandchild were there. Twenty-seven all together. We had a whole room, but they only gave us one waiter and he just couldn't handle the job. Even though he took the order around the table, he didn't have enough of the right kinds of soup, didn't put bread, butter, cheese or sour cream on the table without us asking and got all the prime ribs mixed up so that the ones who ordered it rare got well done and vice versa for the others! They diffenetly lost a big account, we will not go back there again. Next time will go to a buffet where everyone can get there own.

Glad you are back!
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old April 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Forgot to say, we haven't been anywhere yet= not until the end of the month.
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old April 4th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Sharon, that was going to be my next question, where you were. Maybe it does not sound like it, but we were gone 2 weeks. That was pretty crummy to have poor service for the party. Lesson learned, as I would not go back either, they will get the message the hard way.

He got a call from the nurse today and she is going to check with the Dr., to see when they will do the surgery. I was right next to him the entire time and I saw first hand how he gets sick at the drop of dime. As I am usually at work and I am not around him all day. So I could not see how he gets sick.

It is always good to get away, but always good to get back home again. After you are gone so long, it feels good to sleep in your own bed.

I hope all is well with you and Bill.

Kathy

Old April 5th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yesterday when I went to stand up I got a cramp on one side of my lower back. I tried to keep moving to work it out, but last night after sitting and watchin TV, I could hardly move without it "zinging" me. I took one of Bills Hydrocodone pills he had when his neck was so stiff and it helped me sleep, but it is not any better today. I can't bend over at all and if I just move the wrong way it all tightens up and hurts. I know there is nothing to do for it but wait it out, hopefully it won't take too many days.

One of Bill's daughters invited his sister over for Easter dinner when she was at the bday party. We kept thinking she would also invite us but as of yesterday she hadn't. I got tired of waiting so made reservations for brunch at a restaurant. She's going to be surprised when she finally does as us that we are busy. She's the one that had us over for Thanksgiving and didn't open the Fruit basket we took. Her husband goes to WW and both her and her daughter keep their weight down, so no one hardly ate anything, so we didn't feel we could either. Going to the buffet we can eat as much as we want! Speaking of which, how are you and your daughter doing with the nutritionist?

Hope it doesn't freeze tonight, our cherry trees are blooming and the asparagus is coming up.
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old April 5th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Sharon, my daughter has been loosing weight while I was gone. I fear that with all of the drinking especially those Mia Tia's . I hope I can get back on it next week, but now I am afraid to even look at any scale.

From all of the planes we were on, 6 total. My back has not been doing very well either while on the trip. The seats on the planes are no all that comfortable especially for a bad back. I hope you can get some relief. How about going to the resort and getting into the spa for a while?

I think that is good that you are doing your own thing on Easter. Why wait for someone who really does not appreciate you. They all decided while we were away, that everyone will go to my # 2 daughter's house for Easter brunch. She lives close to us so that is our plan for Sunday.

A little cooler today and yes, I hope we do not get frost.

Kathy

Old April 6th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Sharon, I think we were alright last night with the frost. Bill put down a good layer of water on the grass and flowers and bushes. I guess time will tell. How are you doing with your back? Do you think going into the hot tub will help?

Outside work planned for Saturday. The weeds are getting out of control already. Have a nice relaxing weekend and I hope you feel better soon. Have a nice Easter.

Kathy

Old April 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have some muscle relaxor pills and some pain pills, between the two it helps and this morning it was better. I had to go to the dentist and get my crowns and was worried I wouldn't be able to get or out of the dental chair, but made it ok. Then I went and walked around the shopping center for a while, found a couple of cute sleeveless tops on sale.

We covered up the 2 strawberry plants I put in the ground and one other perennial i had planted, they look ok today. I think it got warmer than they thought today.

I found out from my blood test that my thyroid is getting to be hyper again, strange because I have taken the same level of synthroid for years. Maybe thats why I'm always so warm, but you would think I would lose some weight too! Also had the bone density test done and it showed an improvement, that was good and I'm not even taking any medicine for it.

Hope I fee like cutting grass tomorrow, its growing at a fast clip! If not it will have to wait until next week.

You have a Happy Easter too if i don't "talk" to you again before.
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old April 7th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Sharon, I think we may have gotten frost last night . When I woke I saw frost on the roofs. Nice and sunny today. I hope you will find some relief over the weekend with your back. Will you go to the resort over the weekend?

Just shopping for some needed supplies from being away for 2 weeks. Daughter's house tomorrow to see everyone. Have an enjoyable Easter.

Kathy

Old April 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I felt so much better yesterday, then today my back seemed to get worse as the day wore on. Really tired of this I have things I need to do and want to do and can't.

WE slept late this morning and didn't do much of anything else all day. We did go grocery shopping for some things Bill needed for his lunches and we took an Easter Lilly over to Bills sister. Funny she had called and asked what time we are picking her up tomorrow, we told her we never got invited. Not so sure she wants to go without us being there.

We will go to church and then the buffet and then come home and maybe watch golfing. We are both happy that Tiger Woods is still not doing any good, he deserves to not play good anymore! Don't know if we will go to the resort or not yet.

Happy Easter have a nice day,
NCL Pearl 10/07
NCL Jewel 11/06
NCL Sun 10/05
NCL Spirit 10/04
NCL Sky 10/03
NCL Jewel 12/13

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Smile

Sharon, I sure hope you will be able to get some relief from your back. I spent so much time and money for them on Easter. It would have been much cheaper to just go to a eat out someplace. They always get me to buy everything as they do not do anything at all. We left early as there were way too many kids and after awhile I enjoy the piece and quiet.

It is windy yet sunny today. I hope you had a nice and relaxing Easter and that your back did not cause you any problems. Very busy today.

Kathy