Info on Ft. James beach?

39august

Someone posted a video of this beach but I couldn't tell if there was any natural shade. Also, is there a place to rent loungers and umbrellas, buy food and drink? How much is taxi fare for two, please?

Hi, we went last week to the new beachbar called Beachlimerz. We had lunch and four drinks each and it cost us $50 for both of us plus $24 return for the taxi. We didn't go there from a ship but the distance was the same. There was no charge for sunbeds/umbrellas. There were plenty of trees and a lot of people ate outside underneath them rather than in the bar. I say "a lot" I think there were 2 families and 3 couples there with us on a Sunday afternoon. Take a look at them on Tripadvisor. Their website doesn't have many pics as it only opened in December. All the staff were very attentive, polite and smiley!

Edited by Janey

Hi, we went last week to the new beachbar called Beachlimerz. We had lunch and four drinks each and it cost us $50 for both of us plus $24 return for the taxi. We didn't go there from a ship but the distance was the same. There was no charge for sunbeds/umbrellas. There were plenty of trees and a lot of people ate outside underneath them rather than in the bar. I say "a lot" I think there were 2 families and 3 couples there with us on a Sunday afternoon. Take a look at them on Tripadvisor. Their website doesn't have many pics as it only opened in December. All the staff were very attentive, polite and smiley!

Sounds awesome! You mentioned a few families were there, did you feel it was a family atmosphere during the day? I mean, I know it's a bar but would you take kids there to have lunch and play at the beach?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone posted a video of this beach but I couldn't tell if there was any natural shade. Also, is there a place to rent loungers and umbrellas, buy food and drink? How much is taxi fare for two, please?

I think it was my videos that you saw. There is shade under the trees near the bar, both of my videos are from the other end of the beach. Next cruise I am going to take videos with posting them in mind to help show people things. :)

I thought we paid 5$ for our chair and like the other poster said there are very few people there. They mentioned a new bar, which is great. It will be nice to see more development there. Maybe the new people have the chairs for free. That is a great service too.

I checked my notes from the trip and we paid 6 $ pp for a taxi to the beach and the same back to the cruise port. About a 10 min drive.

Is the beach at st james beach club private? Can you eat and drink there do they rent loungers and can you use the restrooms thanks for any info

I don't believe it is private. But it does sound like there is a new place since we were there. When we were there in Jan 2013 anyone could rent chairs and bathrooms were public. There is a whole long stretch of beach that is undeveloped too.

We were talking about Fort James beach, not St James beach club which is private. Fort James is public with bar and sunbeds, St James Club is private with no sunbeds to rent or bars to use but I believe you can buy a day pass. It is also on the other side of the island so a taxi would be very expensive.