Solo on Gay charter

Tark

Hey guys!

Next year I am planning my first cruise. Will probably be with Atlantis but could end up being RSVP.

No cruises announced for next year. I did email Atlantis to ask if they are planning a anniversary cruise as I think next year is there 25th?

They said no details yet and wont have any details till late summer or early fall. Sounds a bit late it the cruise would be for 2016?

Planning to go on my own which I am hoping means it will still be fun.

Is it easy to make friends on a charter cruise? A lot of the videos and reviews I read are groups or couples.

I am quite outgoing but can also be a bit shy in a new enviroment at first.

As I have never been on a cruise it looks exciting but also a bit daunting on my own. I am sure i will be fine though :)

Just wondering if many people go solo on these cruises? Or is it mainly couples and groups of friends.

Thanks for any info.

I'm surprised Atlantis told you they won't have details on the 25th Anniversary cruise until late summer/early fall. I assumed the anniversary cruise was going to be their 2016 winter Caribbean cruise. That was the case with the 20th Anniversary cruise. I think the 15th anniversary cruise was a March Caribbean. But based on the timing they told you, maybe the anniversary cruise is a summer Med Cruise?

I say that because they typically announce cruises about a year out. They should be announcing next winter's big Caribbean cruise within the next two weeks. The big Caribbean cruise for 2015 leaves on Sun. and they always announce the next year's cruise during the cruise, and let people on board book for a small discount.

As far as making friends, I think people are really friendly on gay cruises. Admittedly, I have never been alone-always with my husband and sometimes other groups of friends. But hubby and I have made some lifelong friends through Atlantis. Our closest Atlantis friends were folks we just started talking to at the pool deck on the first day of one of our trips. We connected, hung out during the cruise, and have been friends ever since.

Some cruises we have been on have been very couple heavy, while others are more singles. It's kind of hit and miss in that department, but I think the Caribbean cruises are younger and with more singles than the more "destination" cruises.

Atlantis will most likely announce next year's cruise on the February 1 cruise, as mentioned. Those on board get first picks and then they usually open up to Atlantis alumni first; I think some of their cruises can sell out before the general public can get a chance to book.

You will be OK on either Atlantis or RSVP as a single. They provide opportunities for singles to meet, including sitting together at dinner. I think Atlantis does a "speed dating" style dinner for singles where you change tables for each course.

People are very friendly and it is easy to strike up conversations anywhere and everywhere.

I am going on my 10th RSVP cruise (also did one Atlantis land vacation) and we have made a lot of friends along the way. We hang out between cruises too.

Alaska is amazing: it is less about partying and more about the natural beauty. But there is still a lot of parties and entertainment going on.

Hey guys!

Next year I am planning my first cruise. Will probably be with Atlantis but could end up being RSVP.

No cruises announced for next year. I did email Atlantis to ask if they are planning a anniversary cruise as I think next year is there 25th?

They said no details yet and wont have any details till late summer or early fall. Sounds a bit late it the cruise would be for 2016?

Planning to go on my own which I am hoping means it will still be fun.

Is it easy to make friends on a charter cruise? A lot of the videos and reviews I read are groups or couples.

I am quite outgoing but can also be a bit shy in a new enviroment at first.

As I have never been on a cruise it looks exciting but also a bit daunting on my own. I am sure i will be fine though :)

Just wondering if many people go solo on these cruises? Or is it mainly couples and groups of friends.

Thanks for any info.

I just off Atlantis' Mexico cruise last Oct. Yes, there are many singles that go on these cruises. It's roughly about 50/50 singles to couples. Sure, some solos are traveling with a friend or group of friends, but many are traveling by themselves. Just after the ship sails there is a large singles get together hosted by Atlantis with over 300 guys. Other nights Atlantis will have a casual nightly singles cocktail get together and there are two singles dinners in the main dining room which is a great way to people. On the other nights solos will be seated with both singles and couples in MDR at large tables which is a great way to meet neat people. I've been on many Atlantis and RSVP cruises and I have always met nice guys from all over the world. On my last cruise I met a guy from Bali, Switzerland, Russia and another from South Africa. Everyone is pretty friendly and easy going so there really isn't anything to worry about since everyone is literally in the same boat as you are...LOL Sure, expect some alone time, but do get out of your cabin and participate in group activities like trivia or team deck sports which is a great way to meet people. There are nightly "themed" costume parties and 3 later afternoon T-dances. My advise to you is don't worry about the going solo part of the cruise. Focus on what you want to see and do on board the ship and in port. Making friends and having a good will just come naturally. Also, there is usually a Facebook group for your sailing date and you can chat with others going on your cruise. Again, don't worry. You will have a blast. These cruises are over the top fun, fun, fun.

Edited by COMBOY

thanks for the replies they were really helpful and put my mind at ease.

Yea I would have assumed they would have maybe hired Quantum or something for the Carribean next year for anniversary. Yet if they not announcing anything about anniversary cruise, then I guess it may be a med cruise as you said.

I would have though the 25th would be a huge deal.

Anyway either way I will go on a cruise next year. Just hoping the one for around this time next year does not sell out too fast! Any idea when they sold out for the one that is happening next week?

The Atlantis cruise for next week didn't sell out until very early Jan.

The "sell out" time can really vary. If it is a repeat of a ship that Atlantis has used before, then you should have no trouble getting on as a newbie. However, if there is something really special for the anniversary (I had heard rumors there was going to be) or they get one of the new fabulous ships that they have never chartered before, they might release to alumni first, and it is possible it may sell out before newbies can book. That has happened in the past.

Everyone was wanting Quantum, but Atlantis has confirmed they are not chartering it, as it will be in China in 2016. I was wondering if they might try for Anthem, which is the sister ship to Quantum, and is going to be based out of NYC.

If it is a new exciting ship for the winter Caribbean cruise, we will probably book. If it is a repeat, we likely will wait and see what is coming later in 2016.

thanks for the heads up. Will see what happends.

Is it poss they are planning Anniversary cruise instead of the normal La-Mexico in 2016? That would tie in with the timing Atlantis told me to expect details. They said Late summer early fall this year.

Late summer/early fall sounds more like a med cruise. They typically take place in August. The 2015 one is August 14-24. If they announce 2016 on board, and then release to the public a few weeks later, that would fit the timeline you were told.

The Mexico cruise isn't until Halloween, so the Mexico 2016 cruise won't be announced until late Oct. or November 2015. That sounds like a bit later than what you were told.

Ahh. Sorry I maybe did not explain it very well.

Atlantis told me they would have NO details to release about a 2016 Anniversary cruise till Late Summer Early Fall. So that was just announcing a cruise not the actual cruise being in summer or fall. Sorry If I did not explain well.

That is why I am wondering if they planning an Anniversary Cruise for around October 2016 and hopefully something big

It is late in UK so I think I could be the one getting confused after all lol. I get what you saying now Eddiffin.

Edited by Tark

Anthem of the seas will be in NYC for winter cruises I think.

It is a big ship but not as big as Allure I think and they managed to sell that one for the 20th.

Would it make sense for Atlantis to do a big 25th cruise in the med? Would it not be too expensive for US people to travel to Europe? I am guessing North America is Atlantis main market?

If Quantum or Anthem were available and in the Caribbean, I think Atlantis could sell them out. The novelty factor would bring a lot of people aboard, just as was the case with Allure the first time, which was a sell out. I don't think Atlantis could sell the ship out year after year, however. It would be a been there done that thing for a lot of people. This fits with the fact that Allure didn't sell out the second time Atlantis chartered it.

Atlantis rarely if ever announces a cruise more than a year in advance. I'm not sure they've ever announced an October cruise as early as late summer. That's why I think a late summer/early fall announcement would tie to a Med Cruise, which takes place that time of year.

In the past, they have had 2 mid-sized Med Cruises in one summer, so it is possible that they could sell one bigger ship out. However, I think it would have to be marketed as something special beyond just a Med cruise. We have done 3 Med cruises, and likely wouldn't do another one unless there was something special about it (new ship, special entertainment, etc).

That said, there is no requirement that a 25th Anniversary cruise be bigger than a typical cruise. Rather than being focused on size as what makes the cruise special, I suspect it will mostly be marketing and maybe a few special things on board.

North American is Atlantis' main market, but not surprisingly the cruises that depart from other than North America have a significant number of non-North American passengers. But many, many North Americans travel to Europe for Atlantis cruises.

My understanding is that Atlantis will not charter the Allure or Oasis again. They chartered each of those ships for two of their Caribbean cruises, which I believe is a major market share of cruising. The first year, it sold out quickly as it was promoted as being the largest gay cruise obviously on the largest cruise ship.

The feedback from the first cruise was that the ship was too big, and the ship didn't provide a large enough venue to be conducive for one theme party where all attendees could fit. The second year the ship did not come close to selling out, and I think they started to do promos to get customers on that ship where a booked passenger could book for another guest on at 50% off the posted rate.

As far as the single ratios, my observation is that the more exotic the locale from the US (I believe is their largest market share), the larger number of couples vs. singles. I haven't been on the Med cruise yet, but that was definitely my observation from the OZ and Bali cruise.

I was hoping that Atlantis would charter the Quantum for an Asia cruise, but from the comments above it just doesn't seem as though it is going to happen.

Both RSVP and Atlantis have sold out of this year's Caribbean's cruise which looks promising, but it is also a year that Atlantis has decided to only do one cruise in that region.

It'll be interesting how the offerings pan out for 2016. The last few years I've noticed Atlantis was not selling out, and the Australia and Asia cruises seem to not be very popular this year. So you may see a dramatic change in the offerings.

Edited by absolutboy20

Anthem of the seas will be in NYC for winter cruises I think.

It is a big ship but not as big as Allure I think and they managed to sell that one for the 20th.

Would it make sense for Atlantis to do a big 25th cruise in the med? Would it not be too expensive for US people to travel to Europe? I am guessing North America is Atlantis main market?

Winter cruises out of New York would not work as it would mean 2 days of sailing to reach warm weather and 2 days back.

All interesting comments. It will be interesting to see what they do offer next year. Will have to wait and see.

I was surprised that Atlantis chartered the Allure the second time. I felt they pushed there luck. I was following it all even if I could not attend.

As you said the first time it was largest gay cruise on new ship AND 20th anniversary.

Was surprised of them to charter second time even after people saying too big and not enough space for a main party.

As said will be first cruise for me next year as long as I can get a cabin. Meant to do past few years but did not get round too. I am going to be 35 this year so its time to get going lol

Fair point about the extra days having to sail if you went from NYC.

Does anyone know how deposit works if single person booking?

I know I have to pay for 2 people, as I don't want to cabin share with a stranger.

Do I have to pay deposit for 2 people? Or is deposit a set fee regardless if only 1 person is on the booking? Think in past i saw deposit as $500 but not sure if that is per person or per booking.

Not sure if that makes any sense lol.

Also hoping booking in UK is easier enough with Atlantis Rep.

Edited by Tark

I haven't done a solo cruise but as you're looking at booking at full cabin for yourself and paying the single supplement fee, I would be under the assumption that you would be required to place a deposit customary to two passengers in the cabin. The deposit can range from $500 to $2,000 depending upon the cruise line and region of travel. The penalty phase/charges are also different depending upon the cruise line/region so it's best to keep an eye on that.

One suggestion I would make is that as you are cruising by yourself and you stated that you are a little shy at first, it may be worthwhile to explore the roommate share program. My concern is if you're in a cabin to yourself, it may be too easy for you to avoid the push needed to get you to start socializing with other passengers. I know it's a gamble with the share program, but in all honestly I've met several people on board who have done that and haven't had any real issues in being roommates for a week.

Edited by absolutboy20

Yea I understand what you are saying about the possibility of isolating myself in my cabin.

Even though I can be a bit shy, I do push myself out of my comfort zone and there is no way I would be missing out on the parties etc :)

Just was not sure how easy it would have been to mingle in when solo. But yea this thread has certainly put my mind at ease.

Just emailed Atlantis and as you said I would need to pay a deposit as if 2 people were in the cabin. So would be $1000 deposit for Carribean. That is ok. However seems annoying I have to pay tips for TWO people even though I am on my own. I think that is a bit bad but nothing I can do about that.

Richard Campbell, CEO of Atlantis, has stated many times he won't charter a ship again out of NYC. They tried it once and it did not sell and they almost went out of business due to it. New ships like the Quantum and Anthem would be prohibitively high to charter. Yes, if they were based out of Florida and RCI gave me a good price then maybe he would; but I don't see it in the near future. Celebrity has been they cruise line of choice, but he will use any line if it fits the timing, itinerary and price.

As far as deposit. I would believe a single occupancy cabin would require two deposits; however, Atlantis requires two separate deposits as follows for US based cruises:

Initial deposit: $500; second deposit: $300 (180 before departure); balance due 90 days before departure. Double this for single occupancy. Non-US cruise have different requirements.

I've done the single share several times and had pretty good luck. I couldn't afford to go without doing the share. However, on my last cruise - they couldn't find me a room mate so I got the cabin all to myself. This has happen one other time on Atlantis Hawaii cruise back in 2004. I only use the cabin to sleep, change and shower so a share works well for me.

Edited by COMBOY

Thanks for the reply Comboy with the information.

After what you said about the last NYC cruise they tries, it would make sense they would never do that again.

I will certainly go on a Atlantis or RSVP cruise next year and I know it will be a lot of fun!

BTW. That was great luck getting cabin to yourself those couple of time! Bargain.. Too much left to chance though. I like my space and unless I knew someone it is just not for me.

Tark....yes, cabin shares are not for everyone and please do what you may. However, since Atlantis pretty much charges full tariff rack rate many solos would not be able to afford these charters without the share program; thus you would get a ship with more couples and fewer singles. But I have met many solos who do book a cabin to themselves and are perfectly happy. I've rarely heard any solos complain about there share situation, but there is always an exception or two. So yes, it's a risk.

Thanks Comboy. I will certainly think on it all. It is expensive to do a solo cabin but may do that for peace of mind on my first cruise.

I think its a shame I have to pay gratuity for 2 people though even though I am on my own. I have no problem with paying tip even though in UK its a rare thing :) But paying for 2 people in single cabin a bit naff lol. Oh well will still be awesome.

Cruising looks a lot of fun and I am sure once i do my first I will do many more. Str8 and gay :)

Atlantis has announced their cruises for the first 4 months of 2016:

Jan 23 ~ Jan 31 RCCL Navigator of the Seas

3100 plus guests

Departs Fort Lauderdale to Labadee, Grand Cayman, Cozumel Mexico and Roatan Honduras

March 12 ~ March 19 The Celebrity Summit 2100 plus guests

San Juan to Barbados, St Lucia, Martinique, and St Barts.

April 4 ~ April 11 Oceania Marina

Sail the French Polynesian Islands of Tahiti.

Yea I saw this yesterday. Good to know what is happening the first few months of the year.

All going well will try and get the January Cruise with RCC.

Does anyone know if the cruises that go from San Juan in March are as good?

Not sure if many people willing to fly to San Juan to embark. Is the age rage of people about the same on both cruises?

Either way will be great to do a cruise next year!

Edited by Tark

I'm not sure what you mean by "as good". The January cruise is known as the party cruise. The parties often go all night. Some guys never get off the ship. They are just there to party. It also skews younger than other Atlantis cruises (although still plenty of guys in their 40s and older). That said, there are plenty of people on the Jan cruise who do not party all night every night.

The March cruise has all the parties too, but they are a little less intense. The crowd is a bit older, and people are more interested in the ports. That isn't to say there aren't young guys on March. And some go to March just to party as well. But acknowledging that I am making huge generalizations that don't apply to many people, that's what I see as the difference.

For some Jan is better, for others March is. Depends on what you are looking for.