Harwich to London on a Sunday

Rail ticket pricing is a total mystery to most of us. In general they offer lower prices for advance booking on underused services. A reduce service operates on Sundays and it may be that there are plenty of travellers to fill them up.

You can also check out scheduled maintenance as that can cause delays and closures.

Rail ticket pricing is a total mystery to most of us. In general they offer lower prices for advance booking on underused services. A reduce service operates on Sundays and it may be that there are plenty of travellers to fill them up.

You can also check out scheduled maintenance as that can cause delays and closures.

Yes - I'm thinking it is a result of reduced service. Thanks for the reply.

Without more details it is difficult to be sure, but you are probably seeing standard fares (which will probably be a Super Off-Peak), so any Advance tickets for that service (if there were any) have sold out, probably to other people off the same cruise.

Presumably a return didn't work out better than two singles for you?

Without more details it is difficult to be sure, but you are probably seeing standard fares (which will probably be a Super Off-Peak), so any Advance tickets for that service (if there were any) have sold out, probably to other people off the same cruise.

Presumably a return didn't work out better than two singles for you?

I assume I am seeing standard fares. I have been checking the rates daily, so I also assume there probably were no reduced rates ever available. The Monday following our return has just opened up with reduced rates.

I'm sorry – I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a return didn't work out better than two singles.

I'm sorry – I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a return didn't work out better than two singles.

I hinted at the byzantine nature of rail pricing here. It is not unknown for a return fare to be lower than a single for the same journey. Try pricing a London>Harwich>London Ticket with the outward on your departure date and see if it works

Edited by Bob++

I hinted at the byzantine nature of rail pricing here. It is not unknown for a return fare to be lower than a single for the same journey. Try pricing a London>Harwich>London Ticket with the outward on your departure date and see if it works

Interesting. Yes, if I booked round-trip I could save approximately £9 for the total. I also played around with departure and arrival's both on Sunday which would also yield a savings, but the departure from Harwich is later than I would like. Since I've already paid for and reserved my tickets to Harwich, I'll have to save this bit of information for my next journey. Thank you for adding to my knowledge of train travel.