Maui for a day ?

Martin and Lindsey

Wow, I don't know where to start to share with you…...

First, have you ever been to Hawaii before? Have you done a great luau? If not, Old Lahaina Luau is well known to be the most authentic Hawaiian luau in the state of Hawaii. The same folks that run OLL also run Feast at Lele which is also exceptional. Are you just a couple? Or are there children with you? If you have kids with, I recommend OLL. If it's just you two, FAL. Your all aboard time would allow you to attend these luau which are right in Lahaina. You would literally be able to see your ship from their beachfront locations! :)

Are you going to rent a car? What time of year are you going? What do you like to do? Are you foodies? Shoppers? Golfers? Hikers? Or??

Maui is my DH and my favorite place on the planet and we just returned from a month in Hawaii, most of that spent on Maui. The views to the other islands of Maui Nui from West Maui/Lahaina are spectacular. Let me know your answers to my questions above and I would be very happy to offer suggestions. Happy planning! Aloha!

Just to add to Southerngirl's good advice ... I'd suggest looking at the offerings for shore excursions through the cruise line. See what looks of interest and then if you want to do it yourself, we can offer advice on the logistics.

Renting a car for the day and enjoying some sightseeing and beach time would be my recommendation ... but it really depends on what you enjoy doing. The luaus that southerngirl recommended are both great ... a nice way to end the day (they start around 5 or 5:30 and are in Lahaina, so you could drop your rental car off before then).

Southerngirl and Susan,

We have stayed in Oahu for a week many years ago and stayed on Waikiki Beach in the Outrigger Hotel.

We did a luau there at the Ploynesian Cultural Centre with our youngest son.

This time we are cruising as a couple but my sister and her husband are also on the cruise and we may well do things together on Maui.

We don't usually rent a car on the islands we visit because we also like to have a guide and that way no-one is missing seeing things due to being the driver.

We are cruising in April.

We are not great shoppers (although my sister is), foodies, golfers or hikers. We like to see the natural beauty of an island and be told about the flora and fauna and a little bit of the history too. (This is another reason why we like to do a tour.) My sister's husband and I have had spinal surgery so can't do very strenous things. We are also all in our early 60s.

We loved Hawaii and always said we would love to do a cruise there. We will end our cruise at Oahu and will stay there for a week before flying home. :-)

We could always do a luau on Oahu if we needed to use all our time doing a tour on Maui.

I knew I could get some helpful answers here. Thank you ladies. :)

Edited by Martin and Lindsey
clarifying

Thanks for that explanation M&L:)

I'm curious if you are looking for suggestions for a ship's tour, or a private tour?

I agree with greatlakesgirl's recommendation for the walking tour of Lahaina ... we've enjoyed exploring the historic sites there, but it's a busy town, so 2 hours is about our max there (shoppers would be happier with a longer time though.)

Iao Valley is another good suggestion ... it's only about 40 minutes from the port and a scenic drive there & back. Best to do this early as it typically clouds over by noon.

..... I have managed to find details and map for a walking tour of Lahaina with information on the various places seen during the walk.

I am looking into local companies that do tours from Lahaina.

I will also take a look at what the cruise line offers.

Any good recommendations for local tour companies? :rolleyes:

What about a Road to Hana tour ?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60639-d1118219-Reviews-

Valley_Isle_Excursions-Wailuku_Maui_Hawaii.html

I don't think Valley Isle's times would work with an 8 a.m. arrival in Lahaina - but perhaps with a private tour operator.

M&L - here's a thread from last month with a request for recommendations for private tour operators on Maui (and Oahu).