Best way from Mo Bay to Doctor's Cave Beach

Roberta Rader

We are sailing on the Dream in August and want to spend the day at Doctor's Cave Beach. What is the best (and safest) way to get there from the pier with as little high pressure strong arming us in to some other location as possible? I seem to recall something about a "hop on hop off" mode of transportation. Will that get us there? Is it easily accessible? Our group consists of 2 adults and 2 teenage girls. Thanks for all of your tips and suggestions.

I was just about to post something similar to this. We'll be in Jamaica in less than 2 weeks. I planed on using the HOHO shuttle because you can use your sail & sign card to pay. It only stops at 4 tourist stops. But, I've been curious if it's better to just take a taxi? I've read older reviews that it could take the shuttle 30 mins to come back around. A taxi would be cheaper, if only going there and back, & no waiting. Hopefully some can chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, we started out with the HOHO shuttle. We only wanted to go to Drs Cave. The girl at the desk asked why we weren't just doing a taxi. After 25 minutes in line waiting for the shuttle, we canceled the HOHO shuttle charge and moved to the taxi line. $5 per person each way. They try to get you to pay the full round trip amount, but we said we'd only pay for one way now, the rest later. They didn't have a problem with that. We were pleased with the taxi van service we received and felt very safe the entire time. They stopped at Margaritaville for us to buy a few shirts and then back to port. Our family (including 6&8 yr old boys) loved the beach! I'd do the taxi and Drs Cave Beach again in a heartbeat. ImageUploadedByForums1435598404.724031.jpg.8232750691aa1195dc587ba11247261a.jpg

We are sailing on the Dream in August and want to spend the day at Doctor's Cave Beach. What is the best (and safest) way to get there from the pier with as little high pressure strong arming us in to some other location as possible? I seem to recall something about a "hop on hop off" mode of transportation. Will that get us there? Is it easily accessible? Our group consists of 2 adults and 2 teenage girls. Thanks for all of your tips and suggestions.

Take a cab but make sure it is a Jetta cab and make sure you know the price before you go. Do not go with any cabs unless they are Jetta cabs. They are the only save ones there.

I was just reading elsewhere that it's $5(US)/person for a taxi and about a 5-10 min. ride. Pay only one way or pay 1/2 the return fare and ask that your driver return for you at a set time and that you will pay him when he returns you to your ship.

There is also a small fee to access the beach and rental chairs etc. are available.

Doctors Cave Beach is the go-to destination for families and couples looking to lounge on the beach with amenities -- showers, food, and chair and umbrella rentals -- at the ready. And, locals claim the waters there have healing powers (all the better reason to spend your day splashing). It's a 10-minute and $5 taxi ride from the port to the beach. There's a nominal entry fee, and you'd be wise to bring towels from the ship. Remember: By Taxi it should cost $5 per person each way.

Take a legal taxi only

• 2 weeks later...