Port stop in Marseille Need Help choosing!

irenez

Hello, everyone. We are stopping with a cruise on Sunday with 3 kids (11,13,20). I am struggling with choosing between coastline and mountain top villages/market.

I have been reading a lot about Cassis and it looks wonderful. We would also LOVE to get a taste of Provence. It does not seem like a visit to L'Lsle sur la Sorgue for its market and Cassis are possible in 8 hours. I am trying to choose the most unique (I know its hard in a day!) experience for us.

We have traveled quite a bit in Italy(Tuscany and coastline), but not so much France(Paris only).

It seems that we will not be able to rent a car since it will take too much of our time so I am looking to hire a guide.

1. Start the day in Aix en Provence and spend the afternoon in Cassis.

2. Start in L'Lsle sur la Sorgue since it will be on a Sunday and there is a market, go to Gordes, Fontaine de Vauciuse, and Roussillon, Aix?

Thank you so much for your help!

Great choices but for us it is simple. Your option #2 is perfect assuming you get an early start and have decent weather. This is an amazing Sunday itinerary. When DW and I stay in Provence (we usually rent an apartment in either St Remy or Avignon, this is exactly what we do on Sunday's. And I should add that this is just the kind of day you will never get on an overpriced cruise line excursion. You can only do this on your own (with a rental car) or with a private car/driver.

Just keep in mind that the market at L'Isle sur la Sorgue is essentially a morning market with the prime hours from about 9:30 - Noon. Shortly after noon many of the vendors start to pack-up and by 1pm it has shrunk to about half of its original size and becomes a smaller antique market.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Frank! I was hoping you would chime in. I came up with number 2 reading your contributions... How long do you think at the market? Does it make sense to soend a part ofnthe inly day in Provence there? Or smaller markets are "good enough" if we can squeeze Cassis in?

Hank, sorry about the typos before! I was hoping you would chime in. I came up with number 2 reading your contributions... How long do you think at the market? Does it make sense to spend a part of the only day in Provence there? Or smaller markets are "good enough" if we can squeeze Cassis in?

Not Hank, but here is a suggestion.

Assume you leave the ship at 8 am. It will take you about one hour to get to L'Isle. Spend one hour at the market and then visit Fontaine de Vaucluse. Then pick between Gordes and Sorgues.

If you pick Gordes, then at 1 pm, go to Aix, it takes one hour to get there. Stay until about 3:30 pm and go back to the ship (30 minutes) by 4 pm. Those are your eight hours.

If you pick Sorgues, go to Avignon at 1 pm (10 minute ride). Spend two hours there and leave for Marseille at 3 pm. You will be back in one hour, by 4 pm.

If you want to see all four villages, just spend the time there and plan for another visit in the future.

If you do want to see Cassis, go to L'Isle as above. Get there by 9 am and leave by 10:30 to go to Aix. You will be there at 11:30. Leave for Cassis at 1 pm and you will be there by 1:45. Have a late lunch at the port, and leave for Marseille around 3:15 pm.

You are trying to pack a lot into one day, but if you do not mind limited time at each place, you can do it. If you want to go for more relaxed quality time, then pare down your choices and start planning for another trip.

Edited by marazul

Thank you for amazing advice. We may attempt to see a lot in a little time... Would you by chance know how long it might take to get to a car rental place (if there are any on Sunday). Would they allow someone in a rental car(my husband) to drive to port and pick us up? We are still considering renting a car to minimize the expense.

Thank you!

Geez, DW and I truly dislike making time recommendations since very person is different. On a nice day (and good weather is important) the Sunday morning market is worthy of at least 2 hours (for just walking and browsing) and more time if you decide to stop at one of the local restaurants/cafes for lunch. As to the market itself, you have a combination of antiques, flea market, lots of food products, eating venues, etc. For those that love this kind of thing it rivals any market anywhere! If you do not enjoy walking around this type of outdoor market then there are certainly better options.

Like most outdoor activities, good weather is very important.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thank you for amazing advice. We may attempt to see a lot in a little time... Would you by chance know how long it might take to get to a car rental place (if there are any on Sunday). Would they allow someone in a rental car(my husband) to drive to port and pick us up? We are still considering renting a car to minimize the expense.

Thank you!

It looks like the train station rental car agencies are open on Sunday. But, it might be a time killer if you have your husband double back to pick you up.

We've only been to L'Isle once - but it was on a land trip. I recall traffic was pretty bad leading into town and into the parking lots. Then there was a bit of a time-killer getting from the lots to the market (not much but you are on a tight schedule.) This was off season in November, but it was still pretty crowded.

We followed a similar route to Gordes for our day, with a stop for lunch in Fontaine de Vaucluse, visited another town and saw the Abbeye. We ran into horrendous traffic for some reason in Cavaillon on the way back to our B&B just south of Avignon near St. Remy....we were out touring for almost 12 hours. But, then we tend to dawdle.

The market in L'Isle was probably our favorite thing in Provence - so it's worth the trouble if you can pull it off.

Edited by buggins0402

Geez, DW and I truly dislike making time recommendations since very person is different. On a nice day (and good weather is important) the Sunday morning market is worthy of at least 2 hours (for just walking and browsing) and more time if you decide to stop at one of the local restaurants/cafes for lunch. As to the market itself, you have a combination of antiques, flea market, lots of food products, eating venues, etc. For those that love this kind of thing it rivals any market anywhere! If you do not enjoy walking around this type of outdoor market then there are certainly better options.

Like most outdoor activities, good weather is very important.

Hank

Hank and buggins

Right you are, dawdling is best, but the OP wants to see a lot of places. A short time in each and a tight schedule are the only way. I should have added that they should have a cut off time for heading back to the ship in case they run into traffic, decide to enjoy a place longer, etc. My main recommendation still is: start planning another trip!

And the OP might be better off with a car and driver because there is no time wasted getting a rental car, they know where they are going and where to park, have a GPS to look out for traffic, can keep you on schedule, no time wasted returning the car, etc.

You two know the area better than I...but, my recollection getting to Gordes was a real time burner...it's kind of out there, not near any of the faster highways. I can't remember our exact route there - but it reminded me of the switch back road they had on Le Tour yesterday! I guess, if it were I, that is the town I would leave out.

I agree Marazul....if OP wants to be very aggressive, a driver might be the best way. Not getting the rental car would give them an extra hour.

LOL! Our habit of dawdling and always wanting to see one more thing is why we don't rent a car in port, I always underestimate time. Can't tell you how many times we have eaten dinner at 10pm on land trips.:)

Ok, these maybe be a repetitive questions, I apologize in advance and thank you all for your patience:) I am still trying to avoid a $700 day… I agree with you about the dangers of lingering and having time and traffic stress. We are usually very good DIyers but Marseille seems less user friendly as far as time management goes on such a short stop.

How about hiring a driver at port (taxi? for the day? Are there taxis that can take 5 people at port?) would that be less expensive than a guide? Then we would go going to L'Isle. From there visit a village or two. If we decide to stay there, go to Aix and back to Marseille, or try to make it back to Marseille around 2 and look for a 2 hour boat tour to Cassis from Marseille port? Stretching it? I am sure we will be planning a return trip but I never know which of the kids won’t come with us next time (esp the 20 year old). So we try to get as much out of a stop as we can while being totally flexible and willing to give some things up.

Thank you all!

You are really stretching it and at the end you may end up spending the same or more than with a tour guide. If you do it on your own you will also use up a lot of time on logistics, negotiating, finding your way, etc, etc,etc.

Marseille may not be the most DIY-friendly port. There may be some taxis, but I would not count on them or count on one willing to take you on that excursion, especially on a Sunday. Or finding one with a minivan. They will probably not be a lot less than a tour company.

We were in Marseille a few weeks ago and hired Tour Designer in Provence for a full day. They were excellent. Why don't you write to them with your wish list and ask for advice on feasibility and prices? They also have some suggested itineraries that may be just what you want.

tour.designer@provence-travel.com

I just checked, their rates for 5 people are 500 euros. You will be paying for efficiency and convenience. This will maximize your sightseeing time. Plus, the guide was excellent and really added a lot of value to the trip.

You really seem to have two places you want to see above all: L'Isle and Cassis. If you can work out the rental car logistics, I would limit the day to those two. Go to L'Isle in the morning. Leave before noon and go straight to Cassis. Have lunch in the port, take the little boat tour (right from the port, check the schedules and book your departure before lunch) to the Calanques and go back to the ship. You will have a really enjoyable and far more relaxed day.

And keep planing for another trip. As for the 20 year old, he or she will love the area and will want to go back on his or her own.

Edited by marazul

Yes, Marazul. My dilemma is that all the well rated recommended companies are booked(started my search with your recommendation 2 weeks ago)..or cost prohibitive. I do have some quotes for the day at 550-700 euro but the reviews for those companies are either nonexistent or the companies are cost prohibitive(700). This is why I am trying to optimize on time/cost. Thank you for letting me know about the taxi risk, this will definitely tip the scale towards a tour guide...

Yes, Marazul. My dilemma is that all the well rated recommended companies are booked(started my search with your recommendation 2 weeks ago)..or cost prohibitive. I do have some quotes for the day at 550-700 euro but the reviews for those companies are either nonexistent or the companies are cost prohibitive(700). This is why I am trying to optimize on time/cost. Thank you for letting me know about the taxi risk, this will definitely tip the scale towards a tour guide...

Good luck. Hope it all works out for your trip.

Lots of good info in these posts :). Driving the back roads of Provence on a Sunday can have its issues in some areas. But we never had any major traffic issues getting into L'Isle Sur La Sorgue....although one can spend some time trying to find a parking spot and then face a long walk (15 min would not be unusual) to get from a parking spot to the market. The other two places Gordes and Fontaine du Vaucluse can involve some traffic jams near the destinations and long walks from parking areas. For us, just visiting these 3 places makes for a perfect Sunday. On the other hand, we spend long enough periods of time in the area (usually about 2 weeks at a time) so that we do not have the cruiser mentality of trying to cram a lifetime into a single port day :).

The good news is that driving back to Marseille on a Sunday afternoon should find very little traffic.

Hank

If we decide to stay there, go to Aix and back to Marseille, or try to make it back to Marseille around 2 and look for a 2 hour boat tour to Cassis from Marseille port? Stretching it? I am sure we will be planning a return trip but I never know which of the kids won’t come with us next time (esp the 20 year old). So we try to get as much out of a stop as we can while being totally flexible and willing to give some things up.

If Cassis is important, you would have to do it the way Marazul suggested (by car). There are no boats from Marseille to Cassis - from Marseille there are just Calanque tours.

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/travel-trade/tourist-offers/boat-excursions/

And, as Hank said, if you do rent a car the fact it is Sunday will work in your favor for Marseille traffic. Our absolute worst driving nightmare in Europe was going through/around Marseille, at night, during rush hour, to deliver the rental car back to the Airport before a flight home the next morning.

• 6 months later...

Hank

We get port at 8:00 am and have to be back by 5:00 pm. We are there on a Sunday. Do we have time to go to market at L'Isle, Avignon for wine testing at 1-2 wineries, and lunch somewhere in between?

Are the Chateunuef du Pape wineries open on Sunday's?

Is it easy to rent a car at the port on Sunday's?

Thank you!!

Alina

Hank

We get port at 8:00 am and have to be back by 5:00 pm. We are there on a Sunday. Do we have time to go to market at L'Isle, Avignon for wine testing at 1-2 wineries, and lunch somewhere in between?

Are the Chateunuef du Pape wineries open on Sunday's?

Is it easy to rent a car at the port on Sunday's?

Thank you!!

Alina

Just posted a partial answer in the rental car thread (Europcar is open on Sundays) but you do need to allow time to get to the Europcar Office (I think it opens at 9am). Not so sure you can reasonably do all that you want without really rushing. It would probably take you about 1:30 to get to L'Isle Sur la Sorque and find parking. Then you have to walk to the market (time depends on how far away you can park) and the place is worthy of at least an hour if not a lot more. So assuming you can get our of the car rental place by 9:15, it would be about 10:45 until you really got into the market. Assuming you left there about noon it will take you at least 45 min to get over to Chateauneuf du Pape and you need at least 1 1/2 hours to drive back to Marseille plus extra time to drop the car, get back to the port, and also leaving a good margin for error (we like at least an hour).

We have been in this situation many times and have a basic strategy which is to really have no strategy but flexibility. You just have to see how the day progresses and figure on heading back to Marseille by 2:30 (at the latest). What we suggest is listing lots of different options, having a GPS (so you do not get lost and lose lots of time) and then choose the options that work best at the time. As to wineries, some are open on Sundays and some are not. There are also a few tasting rooms located right in the village of Chateauneuf if you want to just taste without spending time driving to wineries. Just keep in mind that the French take a very dim view of drinking/driving so the driver needs to truly "taste" and not "gulp." This is one of the few reasons why I sometimes wish a different person were driving :).

For planning purposes we like to use 2 different web sites, Viamichelin.com and Google Maps and compare their routes and time estimates.

I should also mention that it was one of those crazy "cram it all into a day" port calls that changed our travel philosophy. In the case of Provence we now prefer to rent a furnished apartment for at least a week (we have done this in both Avignon and St Remy de Provence) and have enough time to really "smell the Lavender."

Hank