Raised toilet seat

Dayenu

Hi, I hope this may be helpful. I need a raised seat, and ordered on first time on Maasdam (HAL). Got a removable seat waiting for me in the bathroom. Each time I needed it, I put it on (in?) and removed so it wouldn't get in the way for my husband.

Encouraged by this experience, I reserved one on Grand Princess. Walked in - the seat is not there. Asked the cabin attendant - are you sure you reserved it? I need to talk to my manager. Of course I reserved it, and here is a copy of the email from Princess that I printed, take it and show to your manager.

Short time later the seat was on the toilet. It was a strange construction with a tiny hole and 2 handles on the sides. The attendant said to try it out, and if OK, he was call maintenance to take the lid off to screw the raised seat on.

I just refused that seat as my husband would have a problem with it. I think I would too, the hole was that small.

For the next cruise I will know to ask first what type of a seat they offer :(

For the next cruise I will know to ask first what type of a seat they offer :(

Unfortunately don't count on any cruise line representative you speak to on the phone, even if speaking to someone in the Special Needs office ,to know the design of the toilet seat riser. The design/type can and does vary from ship to ship within cruise lines.

Ha, guess what!! I found inflatable risers for sale on Walgreens website! Can be deflated for travel, and blown up with mouth... of course need to remember to bring sanitizer.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/carex-rubber-inflatable-cushion/ID=prod5775916-product?AID=10652189&PID=3538689&CID=2673092&ext=3538689

Editing: wait... is this for toilet or just for sitting in a chair? Hmmm...

Edited by Dayenu

Ha, guess what!! I found inflatable risers for sale on Walgreens website! Can be deflated for travel, and blown up with mouth... of course need to remember to bring sanitizer.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/carex-rubber-inflatable-cushion/ID=prod5775916-product?AID=10652189&PID=3538689&CID=2673092&ext=3538689

Editing: wait... is this for toilet or just for sitting in a chair? Hmmm...

What you found is NOT a toilet seat riser and should NOT be used as a replacement for a Toilet seat riser as it poses a serious safety risk as there is nothing to secure it to the toilet. The item depicted is a seat cushion commonly used after someone has had hemorrhoid surgery or other rectal surgery. it's sometimes referred to as "Donut Cushion"

Edited by xxoocruiser

What you found is NOT a toilet seat riser and should NOT be used as a replacement for a Toilet seat riser as it poses a serious safety risk as there is nothing to secure it to the toilet. The item depicted is a seat cushion commonly used after someone has had hemorrhoid surgery or other rectal surgery. it's sometimes referred to as "Donut Cushion"

Thank you, I realized that after posting.

Hi, this is available in the uk with or without lid. Very easy to fit once the original toilet seat has been removed by ships maintenance.

http://www.completecareshop.co.uk/toileting-aids/raised-toilet-seats/comfyfoam-raised-toilet-seat

Very secure and my wife swears by them now.

Regards Darren

Yes, this is what I had on HAL, but not on Princess.

Is this something that you can bring with you from home or rent from a Special Needs at Sea or like company?

I called the cruise company directly, their 800 number, and they emailed me a form to fill out. It was not a rent as I did not pay anything additional.

I use a bedside commode and have a HC inside room on the Gem. I don't know if the raised toilet sea would be enough for me. I can place the commode chair over to seat but I'm afraid there may not room to place it on top. Does anyone know if I can find a picture of the cabin?

Reminds me of the time we were on the maiden voyage (NEVER go on one of those!!) of the Grand Princess. Had ordered a raised toilet seat, but according to our cabin steward, no record of this. Took 2 days to find one, and then it did not fit their toilets in the cabins. Fortunately I had my trusty gait belts with me and I ended up strapping it to their toilet to make it work and be safe. Later we purchase our own shower/commode chair that rolled over the toilet and into the shower...never had to worry about it again.

We had a good experience with HAL around the same time as the Grand Princess fiasco above (MANY more things went wrong as well) where they e-mailed up photos of the toilet set up including measurements, and my dad made a toilet seat that we brought from home (along with some tools) and installed ourselves.

Reminds me of the time we were on the maiden voyage (NEVER go on one of those!!) of the Grand Princess. Had ordered a raised toilet seat, but according to our cabin steward, no record of this. Took 2 days to find one, and then it did not fit their toilets in the cabins. Fortunately I had my trusty gait belts with me and I ended up strapping it to their toilet to make it work and be safe. Later we purchase our own shower/commode chair that rolled over the toilet and into the shower...never had to worry about it again.

We had a good experience with HAL around the same time as the Grand Princess fiasco above (MANY more things went wrong as well) where they e-mailed up photos of the toilet set up including measurements, and my dad made a toilet seat that we brought from home (along with some tools) and installed ourselves.

Oh, the steward said he had no idea I requested the seat, but I gave him a copy of the email with Princess, he took it "to show to my manager". Maybe it's additional work to clean the seats?