Messina Shopping/Sights?

travelers07

Currently on the Eurodam and the Captain has changed tomorrow's port from near Taormina to Messina due to weather issues. Since this is a surprise- good I hope- I did not research the port. We want to just walk around the city on our own. Any suggestions or cautions?

Thanks !

There's not a great deal to see in Messina but a MUST see is the clock in the central square which comes to life at midday. Many people who visit Messina will still take an excursion to Taormina. However, if you just want to wander round the town below are some notes which I made - from research online - for a visit to Messina a few years ago. I found a map online and mapped out a walking tour but you should be able to pick up a map in the cruise terminal. No cautions it's a quiet and safe town:

Clock operates at midday. Also in the vicinity of the Duomo, and not to be missed is the Chiesa dei Catalani - down via Lepanto to the right of the cathedral (as you face it) and across Via Cesare Battisti. Alas, it is invariably kept closed, but it is undoubtedly one of the most photogenic sights in Messina.

Another potentially worthwhile site of interest and only 100m from the Duomo is the medieval street excavations behind the Town Hall. Head down the road to the left of the Duomo and just across the Via Consolato del Mare is an entrance with a small blue sign - doing its best not to give itself away. There's a small museum inside and it opens into the excavations behind the Comune.

Also interesting might be the Chiesa degli Alemanni - not far away in Via Sant'Elia (off Via Garibaldi). It is empty, but architecturally and historically interesting. It is also usually open.

Other things too see at walking distance from the Cathedral:

The Fountain of Orion, Church of the Annunziata dei Catalani (free admission entrance, if available), Piazza Cairoli, Courthouse (Palazzo Piacentini), University buildings, Town Hall (Palazzo Zanca), Monte di Pietà Palace, Vittorio Emanuele II Theatre, Neptune Fountain, Cristo Re Church(free admission entrance, if available) where you can enjoy the wonderful view of the Strait.

Edited by Bobal