Excursion Help

golfb4cruzing

The wife would like to see a little of city, indians and I'd like to watch the locks. We have mobility issues so alot of walking wouldn't work. Any suggestions? There is one excursions that has lake trip, indians and the lock tour. Has anyone done this? It's the 5 hr and $150 pp excursion. Thanks.

The tour you are referencing will get you the Emberas and Gatun Locks but none of Panama City (PC1 110). There won't be a tremendous amount of walking but at Gatun Locks unless you can climb a fairly substantial flight of stairs you won't be able to go to the primary observation platform in the upper level. You can still see most of the operation from the secondary viewing area in the middle level which is where you enter the Locks. You will also be able to hear the commentary from the upper level observation platform.

The Embera village will be more of a roll of the dice as there is more than one village that is used but it reasonable to expect there could be some walking up the bank of the lake/river from where your boat lands. It shouldn't be a huge trek and there would be some help available.

Another option would be the Colonial Panama and Scenic Drive (PC1-115). Of course no Embera on that one but you would get to see some of Panama City and visit Miraflores Locks. Miraflores Locks is the "showplace" locks with more exhibits along with audio/visual presentations. The downside to this option is there is a possibility because of the nature of Canal traffic, you could be at the locks when there was not a ship present. This would be an unlikely scenario at Gatun Locks.

Edited by BillB48

Thanks Bill. Stairs are doable but at a slow pace. The excursion using the dugouts to the Embera village is a no go because of the lowness of those dugouts. I will go back into Princess excursions for the exact tour I was referencing. Thanks for your assistance.

I ended up booking PC1-605. Has a little of everything. Reading the tours, seems the cities are 1 1/2 away, so didn't want to waste 3 hours of the day on a bus. Seemed a waste also to go all the way there and sit on the ship in a lake for the day. Only thing left is Jamaica but we probably will hang close to the ship.