Kohunlich or Dzibanche?

fmotya

When we will be in Costa Maya port, April 12, 2017, we want to go visit the Mayan pyramids. Most people gravitate towards Chacchoben, after all, it is the closest. But not us. There will be two ships, together containing 5000 passengers, in port that day. Most of them will go to Chacchoben. This, taken together with the fact that climbing the Chacchoben ruins is limited to the first few steps is why we want to avoid it. A little further inland are Kohunlich and Dzibanche. And, although there are combined tours to both of them, they are very expensive and within one day it would be better value to focus on one. The problem is which one. Can anyone give me details of their recent experiences? Is it possible to climb both one of them? To the top? Do they get crowded? If so, which one is more crowded? Any and all information is appreciated.

Which ship are you on? How long are you in port? Contact native Choice and ask them if you'll have enough time? As I recall Dzibanche is the furthest away. So if you ahve the time, I would assume it would be the least crowded. Kohunlich is relatively large so any groups would be spread out. 5000 people in port probably means under 500 heading to the ruins and most of those would be on ship excursions. Crowded for Costa Maya is 3 ships with 8-9000 people total.