Caybrew question

FKSNIU2014

Hi,

I searched on this forum and could not find my answer. My husband and I took the local bus to Caybrew back in 2014. When we arrived we did a quick tour with one of the workers and then had a few beers at the bar. I believe it was like $10 total for each of us to do the tour and a few beers.

We never booked anything in advance and we just arrived and did a tour with just our group. Is this still the case at the brewery? Or do they only do schedules tours now? Their website isn't compete yet so it is tough to find information.

Thanks!

Faith

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I looked at a few websites and FB pages and did not see anything about being able to book ahead... just a lot of comments about taking a taxi out there and paying $10 for the tour.

Thanks! We will just go for it then.

Anybody know which bus route you take to get to Caybrew? And do buses take USD?

The buses do take USD. I believe it was $2.50 per person, per way. Otherwise a taxi runs about $5 per person, per way. I remember seeing directions online of how to get to the bus terminal and there is a specific number, but I can't seem to find it. The drivers were friendly and I'm sure they would tell you if you can't find it online. Also, keep in mind that the buses are actually minivans so if you look for a bus, you won't find one.

My father and I visited the brewery and took the tour in December. Great time and very easy to get to. From the point where you get off the tenders, head a couple blocks due east off the main drag. You'll see the library and there will be a sort of taxi (mini bus) depot. Walk over and tell them you want to go to the brewery, they will put you in the right vehicle. I think we paid maybe $2.50 each way per person, so around $10 total and they do take USD. You will be in there with the locals and other cruisers alike but all are nice folks and the drivers are very friendly. They will drop you off right in front as there is a stop. Just ask them what bus for the return trip and they will tell you.

We arrived around 10am and there was no one waiting for a tour so it was just the two of us and the guide. $10 gets you the tour and five chips for free samples after although they do let you take a beer with you. They are maybe 6oz samples so not cheap little ones. Tour is short, maybe 30 minutes but very informative and you get up close to just about everything. We actually got to talk to the head brewmaster and he even filled our glasses straight from the feeder line. Afterwards, we drank the rest of our samples and hung out in the taproom for awhile.

On leaving we walked outside to where the driver told us and soon enough a bus came along. Said we wanted the port area and were dropped off at the same depot, same cost. Long story short, great day, great tour, and definitely something fun and different.

Any bus that travels to Bodden Town, East End, and/or North Side (collectively the Eastern Districts) will pass right by the brewery. The stop would be on the opposite side of the road from the brewery.

Similarly, the brewery is on a major road. Any bus passing by the brewery headed west will take you back to the depot near the port area. Buses going back to town will stop on the same side of the road as the brewery.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I am back I thought I would give a follow-up post. We did in fact go to Caybrew and used the bus. As posted, it was very easy. We walked about 2 blocks to the bus depot (more just a parking lot but still easy to spot), told the drivers where we wanted to go and we were instructed which van to get on. The fare is $2.50usd per person/each way and the drivers can make change although I suggest exact change to make it easiest as they may not have USD to make change with. It was about a 20 minutes ride and the driver stopped right in front. We were the only ones in the brewery and had a private tour. This was just timing as we were there early and no one else was there yet. When we were done, we waited for the bus in a shelter right outside the brewery and made our way back to town. All buses go to Georgetown so anyone that goes by will work.

How was the beer? Was it kid-friendly?

It wasn't bad. They had 5 on tap and you got 5 samples with the $10 tour so it worked out well. Kids would be ok, although maybe bored. Not much for them to do while you sample. That had some bar tables and stools to sit around with your samples.