Anything to do at night with a "tween"?

Thrilled2012

Hello, we will actually be in Cuba for a week before we fly to San Juan for our cruise. I know that we will be in Havana for 2 nights and after that, I am not sure where we will go. It will be me, my mother and my 12 year old daughter and we will be staying in casa particulares.

This will be an educational trip during the day time and we are happy to end the days with dinner and then sleep (my mom is 74 and there is no reason for my 12 year old to stay out late when there is so much for her to see and learn bright and early the next morning).

My daughter is a music major in her arts school and I think she would enjoy some of the jazz and other types of music that seems to be so prevalent in Cuba. Looking for something for an evening or 2 (in Havana or elsewhere since we don't know yet where else we will be staying) that is appropriate for a 12 year old. It does not necessarily have to be music related. Thank you!

I suggest you look at what's on at the lahabana.com site. You can download the month's schedule for when you will be there, since internet is so difficult to connect to when there.

Maybe she would like Obini Bata (http://www.lahabana.com/content/obini-bata-all-women-afro-cuban-music-group/ or look on YouTube to see them on video) at the Yoruba cultural center or the (kind of touristy) rumba at colorful Callejon de Hamel on Sunday afternoon. Many of the tourist restaurants also have live Cuban music all day and into the evening. There are a couple of jazz clubs in Havana; don't think they would be inappropriate venues, but I don't know the laws about kids and alcohol there. Also check out the show of Tradicionales de los 50s (Buena Vista Social Clube type music).

We will....and I believe that it was you who posted a link in another thread to a great blog. I took 7 years of Spanish but it was a long time ago and I have forgotten most of it. However, I now have "permiso" and "Quien es el ultimo?" engrained in my head. I refuse to be labeled the "ugly American" while traveling. lol

In addition to asking "ultimo?", also ask "Detras de quien"? (behind whom), so you really have your place in line, even if the person who is before you goes off to do errands, as you can too then, without losing your place.