Crater Hike & Hilo Waterfalls

letscruiseagain&again

I'm looking at this excursion from Princess. It's listed as strenuous. My husband and I are in our late 50's. We walk 4 miles at home, but how strenuous is the hike? Any insight from those who have taken this excursion is appreciated.

This is all we could find (perhaps it would be best for you to call Princess and see what information they can email you about it):

"Note: Participants must be at least 10 years of age, experienced hikers, and in good health. The crater hike crosses some rugged sections requiring visual and balance acuity. Switchbacks, stairs, and uneven surfaces will be encountered, as well as highly variable weather patterns.

Infants are not permitted, even if carried by adults. Wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes. Due to natural sulfur gases, this tour is not recommended for those with respiratory or heart problems."

We haven't taken the excursion, but have hiked the Kilauea Iki trail which is the one that's part of this excursion. Here's a description of it from the Park website.

If you are used to hiking on uneven surfaces, hiking downhill and uphill, then you'd probably be OK.

At the start of the hike you hike through the woods, along a trail at the top of the crater with excellent views down into it - then hike down into the crater and about 1.5 to 2 miles along the bottom of it, then up a switchback trail to ascend 400 ft. I felt that the most challenging part was going down into the crater as there are some places where you need to take big steps down on large rocks/uneven surfaces. Going across the crater floor can be quite warm, so you'll want a good supply of water, a hat and sunscreen. Ascending on the switchbacks is a good workout, but not a problem if you have time to pace yourself, which you'll probably be able to. The switchback trail is an easy surface to hike on - other than the effort involved in going uphill.

We did the hike independently - we enjoy hiking and really liked this one.

Edited by Susan-M