Port Hole Freedom

krogers2063

I had one on my last Freedom cruise and I loved it. I forget offhand what room number it was, but it did have the two portholes, and the room was quite large with a couch and was on main deck. Yes, heard the anchor or whatever that noise is when docking early in ports, but did not bother me. I also heard some waves thunking against the hull at night, but again because I knew what the noise was, did not bother me. I slept like a baby on that cruise. It was a southern Caribbean cruise, and the seas were calm most nights, but there were two out of eight nights where you could definitely feel some motion, but felt like a gentle rocking, and just helped me "sleep like a baby":). This was my only time with a porthole room, and not sure how it would be in rougher seas, but I have booked one again on the Splendor for 2015 on a Canada New England cruise, expect it might be more movement on that one, but for me, porthole rooms are a good deal.

PicturesfrommycruiseontheFreedomSept252010052.jpg

as per this photo, this room had only one bed plus a sofa, but some do have more beds. this was mine.

Edited by SMSACE6

Thank you for you quick reply. Did you have much noise from above you being on main deck? I usually like to be between passenger decks for the noise. Also, are the rooms larger than you typical inside cabin? We have no problem being in inside cabins. We have had inside, ocean view and balcony cabins. I just want to be on the ship. I would rather spend my $ on excursions than my cabin. That is why we are considering the port hole.

Thank you for you quick reply. Did you have much noise from above you being on main deck? I usually like to be between passenger decks for the noise. Also, are the rooms larger than you typical inside cabin? We have no problem being in inside cabins. We have had inside, ocean view and balcony cabins. I just want to be on the ship. I would rather spend my $ on excursions than my cabin. That is why we are considering the port hole.

When I was back in my room early, ie by about 10pm, I did hear some noise from above which was the theater, and sounded like the dancers running into the dressing room for costume change, could hear running feet, but it was always over by by 11pm at the latest. Always quiet after that time from above. This was back when they had two shows early and late with dancers and orchestra, but now with playlist, I think the shows or show is over quite early, so might be different now.

The room seemed larger to me, but again because only one bed plus a couch, so there was lots of floor space. There are different bed setups though in these rooms. I have had inside cabins that were smaller and some as big. I cruise solo these days, so I also prefer to spend my vacation dollar on other things beside the cabin. I will say though, that I did enjoy that bit of natural light that came from those port holes. It is not like a big OV window, but you can look out and see if you are close to land. Next cruise I splurged on a 4j, walkway view, so might be spoiled after this one:D

Edited by SMSACE6

We have had 4j cabin an ewe really enjoyed it. Not a private balcony but was nice to go out in the mornings and watch us coming onto port. Not many people out there. You do have to keep you shades pulled at night. We had ours open slightly one night and we came back from dinner and ship security was coming out of our cabin and said they had to close shades because the light we left on inside and the Sade open was messing with the ship navigation.

I really enjoy the porthole cabins. I've had several. There are 2 types of rooms that have portholes: a room with 2 standard beds and a room with 1 standard bed plus either a sofa or upper bunk. The earlier photo here is from a room with the 1 standard bed. Those are interior upper/lower (category 1A). I should note that not all 1As have portholes. Any porthole room that is classified as "Porthole" or category PT will have 2 standard beds that can be pushed together if you want.

I prefer the porthole rooms on deck 2. Since I'm out of the room until the shows are over, I never hear anything from above. There are consistent noises of the waves hitting the front of the ship, and consistent movement with the rocking. I find that to be soothing. There are more inconsistent noises & movements when going into or out of port, but I need to be getting up by then anyway. The anchor will not drop unless it is a tendered port. That's a common mistake. The anchor doesn't drop when you dock. If you tender, the anchor will drop, and from reports I've heard, you will really hear it in those rooms. Much louder than any sounds from docking.

Edited by k2excursion

We have had 4j cabin an ewe really enjoyed it. Not a private balcony but was nice to go out in the mornings and watch us coming onto port. Not many people out there. You do have to keep you shades pulled at night. We had ours open slightly one night and we came back from dinner and ship security was coming out of our cabin and said they had to close shades because the light we left on inside and the Sade open was messing with the ship navigation.

Thanks for that tip. I will be sure not to leave a light on when leaving the cabin. looking forward to being able to step out there in the morning when sailing into port.:)