Bio Bay Tour

LuckyAshley

I would like to do a Bio Bay tour either pre or post cruise and have a few questions. Sorry for the long post but I did some research on CC and some of the tour information I found had changed since the posting date.

1) It looks like both pre and post cruise will be half moons. Is it worth it to still do a bio bay tour?

2) From researching, I think I would like the Vieques (Mosquito) bay better than the Fajardo (Laguna Grande), but I'm not sure we could get there without staying in Vieques? It looks like their might have been a tour company that would take you by catamaran from Fajardo to Vieques and back so you wouldn't have to worry about not having a ferry to take back at night but I'm not sure they still have that tour. Do any other tour companies offer this, or how possible is it to stay in San Juan and make it to the Vieques tour and back?

3) We'd also like to see El Yunque and have considered Kayaking Puerto Rico's combo tour that provides transportation and does the rainforest and the Fajardo bio buy. Anyone does this? Or is it better to do them independently? I've heard great things about Ellis' tours of El Yunque but then we would have to find our own transportation to the bio bay unless someone knows another tour company that offers transportation?

1) It looks like both pre and post cruise will be half moons. Is it worth it to still do a bio bay tour?

Check the other phases of the moon before and after. Here's the sequence:

1) new moon - no interference

2) half moon - occurs in evening, will interfere

3) full moon - maximum interference

4) half moon - occurs in early morning, no interference.

Check the other phases of the moon before and after. Here's the sequence:

1) new moon - no interference

2) half moon - occurs in evening, will interfere

3) full moon - maximum interference

4) half moon - occurs in early morning, no interference.

So the better half moon to go on is the one that is after the full moon in sequence? If so, that would be the pre-cruise dates. The post cruise dates are half moon after a new moon. Thank you for this helpful information!

It's not just the phase of the moon. It also has to do with the time that the moon rises. The moon can be practically full, but if it doesn't come up until later in the night, there is no impact on viewing the biobay (because there is no additional ambient light being provided by the moon). Save yourself some time. Simply google for a biobay calendar where all this has already been taken into account ... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=biobay+moon+calendar+puerto+rico

So the better half moon to go on is the one that is after the full moon in sequence? If so, that would be the pre-cruise dates. The post cruise dates are half moon after a new moon. Thank you for this helpful information!

Exactly right. It will not rise until well after the excursion is over.

You have to look at the times for moon rise and moon set. It can be a full moon but if it doesn't rise until 2:00 a.m. there will be no interference. Yes, the phase of the moon matters but the time it rises or sets is more important.

Edited by zqvol

You have to look at the times for moon rise and moon set. It can be a full moon but if it doesn't rise until 2:00 a.m. there will be no interference. Yes, the phase of the moon matters but the time it rises or sets is more important.

But the time it rises depends on phase. There's no way a full moon can rise at 2 AM. It rises at sunset, by definition.

Ellis can provide transportation to the bio bay as well as the rain forest tour. Send him an email :) fleisherellis@aol.com

http://puertorico.en.craigslist.org/trv/5027708071.html

This sounded like the perfect idea since I've read so many great things about Ellis on CC so I emailed him but he's actually not available the only full day we'll have before the cruise :( ... any recommendations for an El Yunque hike and Bio Bay combo tour including transportation? I googled and found Kayaking Puerto Rico/Fine Line Tours and Eco Adventures but don't know much about them.