Help with Stockholm

We are visiting Stockholm in Mid September. We are being transferred by shuttle bus to a drop off point outside the Opera House. I need advice on how to get to the Vasa Musuem from the opera house. I believe the musuem opens at 10.00am but unsure whether the English "guide" is available on a Friday. Our next plan is the Changing of the Guard - unsure of the time or how long it takes to get their from the museum. The rest of the day we will explore the Gamla Stan. Any help please.

I just got back from a Baltic cruise on the Eurodam on Wednesday and Stockholm was one of our ports. We were lucky in that our ship docked us right next to a Hop On Hop Off boat so we used that for most all of our transportation.

You say that you will be dropped off by the Opera House. This is connected to the Royal Palace through the Norrbro bridge. VERY walkable. It also has a stop right there for the HOHO Boat if you want to move around the city with that. It runs about every 15 to 20 minutes and will drop you off at most of the tourist areas you could want. As far as how to get to the Vasa from this location, it's just a few stops on this particular boat although I'm sure there will be other ways you could do it. Its just that this city is surrounded by water all around, it makes it such an easy way to get from one place to the next.

A tip I heard before our trip that really paid off is that the Vasa gets very very crowded as the day wears on. We made the Vasa our first stop and got in at 8:30 am. They had a 20 minute movie that plays in different languages through out the day. We saw the 9 am movie in English and it gives you a good foundation on what you will be seeing in this musuem.

We went to the Changing of the Guard after we spent the morning in the Vasa. It reaches the Grand Palace at about 12:15 pm, but crowds will start lining up quite a bit before then. We got there shortly before noon and found a great spot to watch. Gamla Stan is fun to just wander around and explore but you will be right there with your original Opera House Stop or after the Changing of the Guard.

Hope some of this helps.

Cathy

We are visiting Stockholm in Mid September. We are being transferred by shuttle bus to a drop off point outside the Opera House. I need advice on how to get to the Vasa Musuem from the opera house. I believe the musuem opens at 10.00am but unsure whether the English "guide" is available on a Friday. Our next plan is the Changing of the Guard - unsure of the time or how long it takes to get their from the museum. The rest of the day we will explore the Gamla Stan. Any help please.

One option is a walk along the Strandvagen boulevard which is a nice walk in its own right. It shows at about 1.55 in this

and takes about 20-25 minutes to get to Vasa
from the Opera House. When you get into the Museum head for the info desk to find the time of the next showing of the terrific 25 minute film about the discovery and recovery of the ship, and head for the theatre about 5 mins before 'showtime'

All the best, Tony

If you are on the Thomson Spirit arrivng on August 17 I am afraid I have bad news. According to Ports of Stockholm you are booked to arrive in Nynäshamn at 12.00 noon. Nynäshamn is a port where you have to tender and then it is a one hour travel to get to Stockholm. And since you will have to get back the same way and the ship is to leave at 5.00 pm you will have a very short time in Stockholm.

The changing of the guards takes place around noon so that will be impossible. There is a city tram 7 that has a stop not far from the opera building that can take you to the Vasa Museum and back again. It is not possible to pay on the tram, you will have to get tickets before you board. Tickets can be bought in places like 7 Eleven or Pressbyrån, but I can't remember where there is one close to the Opera.

Sorry to have to tell you this, I think Thomson is handling the stop in Stockholm very badly, it seems unfair. I almost hope that my information is wrong.

The Vasa Museum opens at 8:30 during the height of the tourist/cruise season, approximately June-September, but later at all other times of year. Check the Museum website with reference to the exact date you'll be there.

The HOHO boat stops virtually in front of the Opera House, and the Vasa is the next stop on the route, about 5-10 minutes later. A 24-hour boat pass is 100 SEK,which would get you to Gamla Stan after you finish with the Vasa, or you can take the boat the one stop to the Vasa for 40 SEK.

Archived