Montevideo Jewish tour

bubi

We are on Celebrity Infinity Dec 20 Valparaiso. Looking at doing Jewish tour of Montevideo with Fanny Margolis. Has anyone done this tour with her.

We toured with her a few years ago on a cruise stop and it was good. Unfortunately, we arranged a private tour, we permittted a few other pax to join us & then they arrived late delaying the tour & ultimately controlled the itinerary. Our mistake. One interesting stop (it was Saturday), was at a temple service (orthodox), women were separated from men, but we were invited to stay for the oneg shabat. Enjoyable.

Edited by dabear

• 1 month later...
Thanks, have booked it. Did any of you do a Jewish tour in Buenos aires?

Yes, we stayed 3 days after our cruise ended and it was a great time. The highlight was our trip to the Immigration Museum, which is a lot like Ellis Island but features the old immigrant housing and families' quarters.

I should tell you, though: even if you don't do the Jewish tour, you'll likely come across signs of Jewish culture everywhere. There was someone selling handmade mezuzzot (with kosher prayer inserts) at the farmers market and we came across an antique shop with tons of beautiful, Jewish old world relics. Most people spoke some English, but there were a few who only had Yiddish and Spanish--but we understood each other well enough.

I hope you have a great time!

Yes, we stayed 3 days after our cruise ended and it was a great time. The highlight was our trip to the Immigration Museum, which is a lot like Ellis Island but features the old immigrant housing and families' quarters.

I should tell you, though: even if you don't do the Jewish tour, you'll likely come across signs of Jewish culture everywhere. There was someone selling handmade mezuzzot (with kosher prayer inserts) at the farmers market and we came across an antique shop with tons of beautiful, Jewish old world relics. Most people spoke some English, but there were a few who only had Yiddish and Spanish--but we understood each other well enough.

I hope you have a great time!

That's brilliant. Did you use a tour guide for the Jewish tour ?

That's brilliant. Did you use a tour guide for the Jewish tour ?

We did, but it was in 2008 and I don't have the name anymore. I'd think they would all be pretty good--the Jewish community there is very close-knit.

It's surprising, there are signs of Jewish life everywhere. We actually went horseback riding at a ranch before the day we flew home and passed several Jewish cemetaries in the countryside. You could see Hebrew lettering and Stars of David clearly from the road.

How many days are you in BA after your cruise?

We did, but it was in 2008 and I don't have the name anymore. I'd think they would all be pretty good--the Jewish community there is very close-knit.

It's surprising, there are signs of Jewish life everywhere. We actually went horseback riding at a ranch before the day we flew home and passed several Jewish cemetaries in the countryside. You could see Hebrew lettering and Stars of David clearly from the road.

How many days are you in BA after your cruise?

We have one day there still on the ship then another 2 days in a hotel. Can't wait as have never been to South America before. I gather you enjoyed your trip to South America!

We have one day there still on the ship then another 2 days in a hotel. Can't wait as have never been to South America before. I gather you enjoyed your trip to South America!

You'll LOVE it. We were glued to the windows and decks the whole way down the Chilean coast. Most amazing fjords I've ever seen. And the baby penguins! Definitely want to go back.