How to find the tide pools?

CRUISER2CRUISER2

Is it hard to find the tide pools on your own and hike to them? I take it you have to have a rental car? Anybody done this, what do we need to know?

It's possible to hike to the tidal pools from the Carambola resort parking lot. You would need to take a taxi to the resort and then follow the trail (which is about 1 1/2 miles, I think). It's a nice hike and the tidal pools are cool.

If you are interested in more info on how to find the hiking trail, etc., please respond again and I will give it.

• 2 weeks later...
It's possible to hike to the tidal pools from the Carambola resort parking lot. You would need to take a taxi to the resort and then follow the trail (which is about 1 1/2 miles, I think). It's a nice hike and the tidal pools are cool.

If you are interested in more info on how to find the hiking trail, etc., please respond again and I will give it.

I'm not familiar with the tide pools, but would love to hear more. We'll be in St Croix in January... Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the tide pools, but would love to hear more. We'll be in St Croix in January... Thanks!

O.k. I will give it a shot but I would also suggest you go to the Tripadvisor Forum for St. Croix and search for the Annaly Bay Tidal pools hike as there is other info there.

You would take a car or taxi to Carambola resort. At the guard house, ask them how to access the trail. They will send you up a macadam driveway behind the guard house. Look for a very low sign that says Trumbull Trail and that takes you towards the pools. It is a narrow trail but I didn't think it was particularly difficult although there are ups and downs to it. You will hear/see the resort on your right for about a mile of the trail. And you will see a spot where guests at the resort (and others, including you if you'd prefer) can access the trail from the west end of the resort.

Keep following the trail and you will begin to see the sea on your right. Eventually, you will come to a place with tall grass. At that point, you will see a sort of fork in the trail. Stay left. Some nice people had put small rocks and sticks across the right trail to keep you from going wrong. Apparently, if you go that way it's a VERY steep trail. So stay left.

You will eventually come to a rutted road that joins up with another. There will be an arrow made out of rocks in the road here to get you to go right towards the bay. And then you are in the bay.

The tidal pools are at the west end of the bay around a point of rocks. Here's where you will want some type of aqua shoe or your sneakers. The rocks are rough and it's a bit treacherous to get around here. And if the tide is high, it's harder.

I would give yourself 45 minutes each way for the hike and give yourself 45 minutes for climbing to the rocks, enjoying the pools and getting back. And Carambola is probably a 30 minute drive from the pier.

Hope that's helpful.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Colbycat, they charge by the person on St. Croix and it's about a 20 minute ride. This link gives info on taxi rates: http://www.gotostcroix.com/taxi-rates Looks like it's $27 for the first person and $11 for each additional. Most taxis on STX are large vans.

Snorkeldawg, I don't think it's great to snorkel at the Tidal Pools. The area is not that large (try looking on you tube to find a video that will give you an idea) and it gets quite rough as the waves come crashing over the top of the rocks every once in a while.

Colbycat, they charge by the person on St. Croix and it's about a 20 minute ride. This link gives info on taxi rates: http://www.gotostcroix.com/taxi-rates Looks like it's $27 for the first person and $11 for each additional. Most taxis on STX are large vans.

Snorkeldawg, I don't think it's great to snorkel at the Tidal Pools. The area is not that large (try looking on you tube to find a video that will give you an idea) and it gets quite rough as the waves come crashing over the top of the rocks every once in a while.

Thanks for your reply