Assistance with boarding and getting off at the end

KKMurphy2

My dad has rented a scooter for our next cruise on the Vision due to mobility issues with his back. I am going to help my mom manipulate everything. He can walk with canes, however slowly and not too great of a distance. When RCCL helps him on board, where do they take him? We cannot get to his cabin until 1. If they can get him to an elevator area, I am planning on taking the folks up to the pool deck and sit and relax until cabins open - then do lunch.

I have also never seen advice on getting off. Where does my dad have to meet the crew helping him get through the gangway on the way out? I can push him - I just need the wheelchair. Where can I get a wheelchair to help with him getting off the ship?

Thanks so much for any information.

Edited by KKMurphy2

kim

they will take you dad to where ever you want him to go- the pool deck or the windjammer. then you will have to get him to his cabin when it is available. (I would go get the scooter and bring it to him)

as far as getting off the ship they will let your know where to meet and they will take him of the ship in a wheel chair thru luggage and customs and to

the outside area.

hope this helps

deb

kim

they will take you dad to where ever you want him to go- the pool deck or the windjammer. then you will have to get him to his cabin when it is available. (I would go get the scooter and bring it to him)

as far as getting off the ship they will let your know where to meet and they will take him of the ship in a wheel chair thru luggage and customs and to

the outside area.

hope this helps

deb

RCCL will only let the OP know as to where the wheelchair assistance location by leaving a notice in the cabin the last night if they have completed the on-line Special Needs Form. Here's the link https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do Otherwise the OP has to check the last night's daily compass for the location.

I have had great luck in the past having the DW dropped at one of the public areas and then going to the cabin, with no luggage. Once there, I have opened the fire door, gone to the cabin to retrieve the scooter and drive it to her. If I run into the staff I simply tell them what I am doing and have never had an issue. Again, I take NO LUGGAGE with me so as to not let it get in the way of clearing the cabins,

I'm interested in this also as my aunt uses a cane most of time but would not be able to do the distance required to get on the ship. We are getting her a wheelchair for the trip. So if we tell RCCL when registering that she needs special they will help her with boarding and disembarking?

I'm interested in this also as my aunt uses a cane most of time but would not be able to do the distance required to get on the ship. We are getting her a wheelchair for the trip. So if we tell RCCL when registering that she needs special they will help her with boarding and disembarking?

Yes assistance is generally provided even if you bring your own wheelchair.

When your arrive at the pier just inform one of the cruise line representatives (not the luggage porters) that your aunt will need assistance in boarding. However note that even with providing her own wheelchair she will be placed in a queue based on order of arrival and will have to wait for when a pusher is available. There is only a limited number of cruise line personal permitted off the ship to provide such service therefore the wait time. If there is someone in your group that is able to push your aunt you may be able to board the ship faster.

On Disembarkation day go to the designated area posted in the cruise daily news letter left in your cabin the night before to wait for assistance. You again will be placed into queue to wait for a pusher.

We do not need a pusher, so when just need to find where to go in Galveston. Thank you for your help.

Since you don't need a pusher than there's nothing to be done regarding notification of the cruise line. You'll just board in the normal order as to your loyalty status.