Scooter in regular room-fits door/fits room?

OldinJersey

I am hoping forum folks have tried to use a regular room with a scooter. My scooter needs repair and I may consider a new or used different brand if it can be used on excursions and on ship. Any particular cruise lines and/or scooter brands that will work? What size cabin allowed scooter storage along with fitting through cabin door? I have easy light deluxe (tzora) folding scooter which folds like a baby stroller. My scooter is 22.5 width, 39 in height and 16 deep when folded.

We have all but once gotten a handicapped room, but we rarely find a bargain since they must be booked early, and there are so few per ship. We have asked RC cruise line about Quantum-they responded with a canned and useless response-if there is actual space for the scooter in the cabin. I realize that no one has used it yet of course.

We have been looking at celebrity, holland America and royal Caribbean lines. The closest ports are NYC or flying to Florida. Airfare has been crazy high and booking without discounts is so costly. Thanks!

Generally speaking most standard cruise ship cabin doorways are 23" wide door frame to frame. Than you deduct 2" for the depth of the door when open as it does not open flush to wall leaving a total clearance of 21" for a scooter to be driven through the entrance of a standard cabin doorway.

When calling the cruise line for the open doorway width you'll only be told the measurement from door frame to door frame . Remember to deduct the 2" for the depth' of the door when open.

Generally speaking most standard cruise ship cabin doorways are 23" wide door frame to frame. Than you deduct 2" for the depth of the door when open as it does not open flush to wall leaving a total clearance of 21" for a scooter to be driven through the entrance of a standard cabin doorway.

When calling the cruise line for the open doorway width you'll only be told the measurement from door frame to door frame . Remember to deduct the 2" for the depth' of the door when open.

It may also help to remove the armrests. :rolleyes:

Cato :)

The door width info is very welcome, thanks! Our one trip booking regular room was on crown princess and at least five other scooter users were also on board, all of us told our scooter would fit through the door, and none did. At sailing time we were lined up at guest service desk unsure what to do and were told to just park in the hall. Eventually my husband would drive from our room to where crew stored items in a wide space off hallway and leave it there. Making it more confusing, though it folds to 16 in. Depth and can be lifted into any room, there was not enough space to leave it anywhere in room. We always book handicapped since then but prices and airfare keep rising.

That is part two of my question..if I fold it, is there room to store it. It is larger than a fancy baby stroller.

The door width info is very welcome, thanks! Our one trip booking regular room was on crown princess and at least five other scooter users were also on board, all of us told our scooter would fit through the door, and none did. At sailing time we were lined up at guest service desk unsure what to do and were told to just park in the hall. Eventually my husband would drive from our room to where crew stored items in a wide space off hallway and leave it there. Making it more confusing, though it folds to 16 in. Depth and can be lifted into any room, there was not enough space to leave it anywhere in room. We always book handicapped since then but prices and airfare keep rising.

That is part two of my question..if I fold it, is there room to store it. It is larger than a fancy baby stroller.

It's very disturbing that Guest Services specifically advised you to leave the scooter in the hallway. This is a direct violation of Maritime Law specifically SOLAS ( Safety of Life at Seas), Coast Regulations and the Cruise lines own regulations which is published on their websites. By doing so Guest services made a conscious decision to purposely impair the safety of other passengers for which I would have told the Guest Services that if a better solution wasn't determined I would be escalating the matter to the Head Of Security as well as the Captain. Than filing a complaint with the CEO upon my return which would state the individuals names. But that's me.

The Princess Rep told you it would fit because they're only instructed to state the 23" door frame to door frame width not taking into account the depth of the door when open as it does not close flush to the wall.

Generally speaking since it folds the answer is yes that the scooter will fit into a standard room. However if you require the use of a walker while in the cabin, even being folded the scooter will limit the floor space.

FYI- I cruise with a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler Plus scooter that is 21" wide at the base. With the arm rests removed it is able to driven through the door of a standard cabin. Have done this several times while staying in a standard inside cabins on several RCCL ships. The trick is to remove the coffee table so that there is more floor space

Edited by xxoocruiser

It may also help to remove the armrests. :rolleyes:

Cato :)

Generally speaking this works for the vast majority of portable travel size scooters however the OP stated their scooter is a TZORA which is not made with armrest. The issue that OP has is that the TZORA is 23" wide at the base and the clearance width of a standard cabin doorway when taking into account the depth of the doorway when open as it does not open flush to wall is actually only 21" inches.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Pride ES 2 has an overall width of 19.5 inches. I have a much larger 4 wheel scooter and hoping to work out something that will allow me to use the ES 2 while on the cruise.

The Pride GoGo ES 3 wheel mobility scooter is perfect for cruising assuming you have the 3 wheel model. The 19in base width and the tight turning radius of 31" should allow you to easily drive the scooter through a standard cabin doorway if unable to get an accessible cabin. Some things to watch out for are:

• The width of the armrest may need to be adjusted
  • The Pride GoGo ES has a very low clearance of 1.5" at mid-frame which will be issue trying to get over the gangway joints. This is based on the fact that I use the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Plus which has a 3" clearance that gets hung up on the gangway joints therefore it's reasonable to expect with a clearance of 1.5" the ES model will do the same. DO NOT ALLOW THE STAFF TO GIVE THE SCOOTER A HARD PUSH as by doing so the motor can lock up on you or worse motor becomes damaged. If the scooter locks up there should be a reset button on the battery casing directly above where the charger socket is located. Turn the scooter off and push the reset button. If the motor doesn't reset itself after trying this a couple of time the motor has probably been damaged. Therefore if you're able it's best to get off the scooter and walk up/down the gangway and place the scooter in free wheel mode so crew can roll it.

Edited by xxoocruiser

My sister uses a Luggie. We do get an accessible cabin because she needs other accommodations, but it would definitely fit in a regular cabin. It's only 18 inches wide and the folded dimensions are 17 1/2" X 15 1/2" X 25 1/2". It collapses to approximately the size of a carry-on suitcase.

She doesn't use it 24/7 but only when she travels or needs to walk any distances. She keeps it in the back of her Prius.

Thanks for all the feedback. How uncomfortable are the little scooters? Can the best used on shore excursions? As I age I find bumpy rides painful. I used to use my tzora in Disneyworld but last few visits I ended up renting a large scooter with high back (and shocks?) for use there and left my personal scooter parked, using only in airports. We looked at the tiny metal scooters and my husband was concerned it would be uncomfortable even on board ship. Anyone ever bring and store a big scooter on board and bring or rent a smaller one for on board?

Anyone ever bring and store a big scooter on board and bring or rent a smaller one for on board?

You will have to "store" any scooter in your cabin. They do not have anywhere for you to leave it.

As for comfort, I don't feel the small ones would be as comfortable as your larger one. They certainly do NOT have high backs and "shocks". Also, they will no doubt have a much lower ground clearance.

Edited by Swampbaby

Thanks for all the feedback. How uncomfortable are the little scooters? Can the best used on shore excursions? As I age I find bumpy rides painful. I used to use my tzora in Disneyworld but last few visits I ended up renting a large scooter with high back (and shocks?) for use there and left my personal scooter parked, using only in airports. We looked at the tiny metal scooters and my husband was concerned it would be uncomfortable even on board ship. Anyone ever bring and store a big scooter on board and bring or rent a smaller one for on board?

The Cruise Lines all require that any mobility scooter(s) brought on board MUST be stored in the passengers cabins. The Cruise Lines do not provide on-board storage facilities for mobility scooter.

Suggest you check out the Pride Go Go LX with CTS suspension which is a portable travel scooter and has an overall base width of 20.5" which should be able to be driven through a standard cabin doorway on most ships. However the width of the armrest might have to be adjusted or removed completely. Here's the link http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/gogolxcts.asp Not certain but think that this travel scooter is the only one with suspension.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Th crown princess cruise was years ago-maybe 2008? I hope they no longer tell people wrong door width info!

Door width and actual doorway open clearance are not the same. The Cruise Lines ( including Princess) unfortunately only quote door width of approximately 23" which is an accurate measurement. The problem is the actual doorway open clearance is only 21" due to the depth of the door that does not open flush to the wall.

Sometimes it's all in how the question is asked.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Hey Barb, looking at cruises again? Don't give up on getting an accessible room. I deal with the cruise line directly and put myself on a waiting list if I am looking at a cruise that is not far out. Yes, you are taking a chance that you won't get an accessible cabin but I have found that these cabins are frequently cancelled at the last moment. Not surprising considering that many of us are prone to illness that may keep us from going.

As far as your scooter questions go, Ditto to what the other posters have recommended. Try looking on Craigslist for a Pride GoGo . I agree that this would really be your best bet. I use that Elite Traveller Plus HD. The HD is heavier but it sits higher up and has a longer battery life. I know your old scooter and it doesn't really give you the support you need.

ps, give me a call. I have a garage full of scooters and can lend you one for now.

ZellaLamb-will call in the next few days. We are torn about cost, time of year and etc. we will book something soon, no matter what! Two complications are two cataract surgeries in late sept and second in early Oct. Plus that blood clot in my leg last fall. I need to wait til ok to travel post surgery-definitely ok for Jan. But prices shoot up then. I debate blowing $$ and going on Oasis of Seas which avoids airfare, and sticking with my beloved Holland America or Celebrity. I even consider an eventual short cheap carnival out of NYC just to see how bad since the prices can be so low. Also want to do celebrity to Bermuda soon.

I would love a Sat-Sunday 8 or 9 day Caribbean cruise in Jan or Feb to get out of NJ. Dream of British isles or Med cruise but probably best to wait a few years til DH retirement, but we shall see. I am not sure safe to fly that far unless we do at least one stopover due to blood lot.

In meantime will check out scooters you mention. Mine is just not giving me the support I need to keep pain under control. Last Disney trip I need up renting one and returning within 1/2 hr and getting much bigger one. Stored my own and used only in airports.

If you find a deal for us to join you, call! The crown princess nightmare was some fun since we did Cruise critic meetup.

I am hoping forum folks have tried to use a regular room with a scooter. My scooter needs repair and I may consider a new or used different brand if it can be used on excursions and on ship. Any particular cruise lines and/or scooter brands that will work? What size cabin allowed scooter storage along with fitting through cabin door? I have easy light deluxe (tzora) folding scooter which folds like a baby stroller. My scooter is 22.5 width, 39 in height and 16 deep when folded.

We have all but once gotten a handicapped room, but we rarely find a bargain since they must be booked early, and there are so few per ship. We have asked RC cruise line about Quantum-they responded with a canned and useless response-if there is actual space for the scooter in the cabin. I realize that no one has used it yet of course.

We have been looking at celebrity, holland America and royal Caribbean lines. The closest ports are NYC or flying to Florida. Airfare has been crazy high and booking without discounts is so costly. Thanks!

I have not cruised on RCI, however I did use my Tzora scooter on the Celebrity Reflection. It is tight, however, it did fit through the door. Since I didn't need it around the ship, we just kept it folded up and sitting on the couch so it wasn't taking up any floor area.

I have not cruised on RCI, however I did use my Tzora scooter on the Celebrity Reflection. It is tight, however, it did fit through the door. Since I didn't need it around the ship, we just kept it folded up and sitting on the couch so it wasn't taking up any floor area.

Thanks for the info! This is what I had wondered about..trying a regular room if there is a sale, and HC rooms are booked. I am also going to try zellalamb's suggestion of going on a waiting list.

How did you like the Reflection? Was it as nice as the smaller celebrity ships? We have been considering it, but the size made me hesitate.

I do need a scooter on board. I can physically walk, if slowly, but pain increases every minute I walk and I can have hours or days of high pain if I walk. The most I do is walk to my dining table if the path is crowded.

Thanks for the info! This is what I had wondered about..trying a regular room if there is a sale, and HC rooms are booked. I am also going to try zellalamb's suggestion of going on a waiting list.

How did you like the Reflection? Was it as nice as the smaller celebrity ships? We have been considering it, but the size made me hesitate.

I do need a scooter on board. I can physically walk, if slowly, but pain increases every minute I walk and I can have hours or days of high pain if I walk. The most I do is walk to my dining table if the path is crowded.

We liked the Reflection. It is the size of ship that we are used to cruising on. I never really found it crowded. On port days when I used my scooter, DH would just stop everyone from getting on to the elevator until I get off. I think you will be fine using your scooter on board.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to cruise Princess anymore, because their cabins do not have a couch in them unless you pay for a Junior Suite Therefore, even folded up, my scooter would be taking up floor space. Fortunately we like Celebrity and next year we are giving RCI a try.

• 3 weeks later...
  • . DO NOT ALLOW THE STAFF TO GIVE THE SCOOTER A HARD PUSH as by doing so the motor can lock up on you or worse motor becomes damaged. If the scooter locks up there should be a reset button on the battery casing directly above where the charger socket is located. Turn the scooter off and push the reset button. If the motor doesn't reset itself after trying this a couple of time the motor has probably been damaged. Therefore if you're able it's best to get off the scooter and walk up/down the gangway and place the scooter in free wheel mode so crew can roll it.

Wonderful advice! Just wish I had read this sooner rather than later....I gave my DH's scooter a hard push when he was hung up on our last cruise. The motor would not start,

this was the first night of our cruise; we were off to the steak house. It was not a fun night.

we've had varying success with regular rooms - one on RCCL had the bed placed close to the door and the scooter could not get around the bed - so it was parked in front of the closet and the bathroom! Thankfully, they were able to move us to a different room.

We now do our best to get an accessible room and my husband loves the Celebrity ones because the doors are automatic and the doorway is huge!

Yes, it costs a bit more, but for him it was worth it.

My sister uses a Luggie. We do get an accessible cabin because she needs other accommodations, but it would definitely fit in a regular cabin. It's only 18 inches wide and the folded dimensions are 17 1/2" X 15 1/2" X 25 1/2". It collapses to approximately the size of a carry-on suitcase.

She doesn't use it 24/7 but only when she travels or needs to walk any distances. She keeps it in the back of her Prius.

My husband also has a 4 wheel Luggie. They will only work for someone less than 250 pounds. They still take up room in the cabin, so we try to get a larger than average cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to park mine in the shower. I hope that works. ;)

• 2 weeks later...