Anyone bring grab bars for shower?

patannel

I will be cruising on RCL and read here they have no grab bars in the shower. Can I bring my own temporary suction type grab bar. I use them at home for balance. (know you can't put full weight on them)

We do not need an HC cabin. Just don't want to take a chance of falling in the shower. Why don't the cruiselines install grab bars for all cabins?

I will be cruising on RCL and read here they have no grab bars in the shower. Can I bring my own temporary suction type grab bar. I use them at home for balance. (know you can't put full weight on them)

We do not need an HC cabin. Just don't want to take a chance of falling in the shower. Why don't the cruiselines install grab bars for all cabins?

Probably because the normal showers are so darn small that there's no room. ;):p:D That's a good thought, though. I'm not disabled but have had problems with balance in the shower when we're having rough seas. Alaska was really bad. When I've travelled with my mom, I've had to use her shower seat so I could sit down to shave my legs. That's hard to do while standing up with the ship rocking.

The suction cups don't stick well if there is any build-up (like soap scum). The cabin stewards generally do a good job of keeping things clean, but you might want to bring a small non-metal scrubber pad (like Scotch-Brite) to clean the area where you plan to install the suction cups so you can ensure that you get a good seal.

I saw in a recent catalog I get that now they make these grab bars with indicator lights on them that tell you if a proper seal was achieved. That's really cool, so then you don't have to worry about if they're suctioned on enough or not!

Check out photos of the shower on the ship you're going on to make sure the suction cups will work on that type of wall, though. It won't work on tiles that are smaller than the suction cup, for instance.

I will shop for the shorter bars with the suction cups and lever to lock in place. Nice idea to bring a pad to be sure the surface is very clean of scum that builds up in all showers.We have connecting suites. Bringing one bar for each bathroom. WE found little bright battery lights to stick on the floor near the step into the bathroom. Used them on my first cruise a month ago on Regent. They had the grab bars in the shower. Wonderful for moving in and out and just to have a safe place to put a hand to make me steady. My number one caution if DO NOT FALL!

Sailing Voyager of the Seas January 23,2011 :D

Any other advise is most welcome. I will be 8 months post total knee replacement, 19 months hip replacemnt, and 6 years first hip replacemt. For my safety, I use a cane. May be done with it before the cruise. Being told to take it on the cruise........

Cruising is one of the best vacations for people with mobility issues. I love it!

aaaaaa

aaaa

You will be in my neck of the woods - Galveston. I'm about 1.5 hours away. Fabulous city! Hopefully you are able to spend a day or two pre or post cruise. I admit the ocean is dirty compared to the Caribbean, but there are other things to do. Moody Gardens is a wonderful place to spend the day. I personally love the rain forest and aquarium pyramids. The Strand area offers some interesting shopping options in the historic buildings. There is an old-fashioned ice cream parlor inside La King's that is yummy. January weather can be really nice or really nasty so be prepared. It can be in the upper 70s and sunny or 40s and damp. If you like seafood, Gaido's along the Seawall and Fisherman's Wharf along the pier are my two favorites.

If you need some ideas for Galveston, be sure to check out the "Gulf Coast Departures" board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

Have a great cruise!

Archived