Cherbourg on D Day

PorterPounder

This year my wife and I are going to be in Cherbourg on June 6th, the anniversary for D Day. We already have a rental car and planned to tour the beaches, American cemetery, and such.

My question is has anyone ever visited this area on the anniversary? We would like to know if there are special events or extra traffic to prepare for. I want to make we budget our time accordingly to see everything but not miss the boat. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Jeff,

Importantly, the 73rd anniversary isn't a special one.

And it's a Tuesday.

But it's the day after the French Whit national holiday on the Monday, and I don't know what effect that will have. :confused:

Here's a list of events to date

http://www.dday73.events/

In the area you're likely to be visiting are those in Carentan, Ecausseville, Hiesville, Port-en-Bessin, Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, Sainte-Mère-Église, and Utah Beach.

Also, if you go that far, perhaps Bayeux, Meautis, and Arromanches.

The one at Pointe du Hoc is a long-distance run, starting at 6am & finishing at Pegasus Bridge - the easternmost end of the D-Day assault - so I don't see that affecting your visit.

Some of the events are spread over several days, most are likely to have little or no impact in themselves, but regardless of the Whit holiday Monday I think you can expect the area to be much busier than usual and you were wise to book the car in good time.

Might be worth checking back on that website from time to time.

Can I suggest you start your trip by first taking the fast N13 divided highway & head to the easternmost end of your chosen sights (?Arromanches? or ?American cemetery / Omaha?) and work back along the coastal lane via Pointe du Hoc. You then have to take that N13 back in the direction of Cherbourg. The D974 to Carentan is well-signed off the N13 though I doubt you'll have time to visit and I don't know any sights there.

Then figure if you have time for both Utah and Ste Mere-Eglise. The D913 through Ste Marie du Mont to Utah (about 15 minutes) is also well-signed off the N13, or stay on the N13 for another 5 minutes to Ste Mere-Eglise. Excellent D-Day museum on Utah, smaller but also excellent airborne museum in Ste Mere-Eglise.

Your ship is ordinarily about 45 - 50 minutes from the museum on Utah, or 35 minutes from Ste Mere-Eglise plus time to return the car, and I doubt there'll be extra traffic in that direction.

JB :)

Hi Jeff,

And it's a Tuesday.

But it's the day after the French Whit national holiday on the Monday, and I don't know what effect that will have. :confused:

In the area you're likely to be visiting are those in Carentan, Ecausseville, Hiesville, Port-en-Bessin, Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, Sainte-Mère-Église, and Utah Beach.

The one at Pointe du Hoc is a long-distance run, starting at 6am & finishing at Pegasus Bridge - the easternmost end of the D-Day assault - so I don't see that affecting your visit.

Some of the events are spread over several days, most are likely to have little or no impact in themselves, but regardless of the Whit holiday Monday I think you can expect the area to be much busier than usual and you were wise to book the car in good time.

Can I suggest you start your trip by first taking the fast N13 divided highway & head to the easternmost end of your chosen sights (?Arromanches? or ?American cemetery / Omaha?) and work back along the coastal lane via Pointe du Hoc. You then have to take that N13 back in the direction of Cherbourg. The D974 to Carentan is well-signed off the N13 though I doubt you'll have time to visit and I don't know any sights there.

Then figure if you have time for both Utah and Ste Mere-Eglise. The D913 through Ste Marie du Mont to Utah (about 15 minutes) is also well-signed off the N13, or stay on the N13 for another 5 minutes to Ste Mere-Eglise. Excellent D-Day museum on Utah, smaller but also excellent airborne museum in Ste Mere-Eglise.

Your ship is ordinarily about 45 - 50 minutes from the museum on Utah, or 35 minutes from Ste Mere-Eglise plus time to return the car, and I doubt there'll be extra traffic in that direction.

We have been in Normandy on 06 June on a land holiday. My partner is an officer in the RNR and had contacted the British Legion in Bayeux to offer his services at the ceremony in the British Cemetary.

He was in uniform and helped to show dignitaries to their seats, give out programmes and assist the veterans. The part he enjoyed the most was talking to the veterans.

All the museums and places of importance tend to have something going on, so consequently, there is more traffic on the roads, but not traffic jams.

The road into/out of Arromanches was closed, but there was parking available up on the main road and in a local field.

You will see loads of people driving around in jeeps and dressed in WWII uniforms.

I think it is worthwhile attending one of the remembrance ceremonies.

We have been in Normandy on 06 June on a land holiday. My partner is an officer in the RNR and had contacted the British Legion in Bayeux to offer his services at the ceremony in the British Cemetary.

He was in uniform and helped to show dignitaries to their seats, give out programmes and assist the veterans. The part he enjoyed the most was talking to the veterans.

All the museums and places of importance tend to have something going on, so consequently, there is more traffic on the roads, but not traffic jams.

The road into/out of Arromanches was closed, but there was parking available up on the main road and in a local field.

You will see loads of people driving around in jeeps and dressed in WWII uniforms.

I think it is worthwhile attending one of the remembrance ceremonies.

Hi Jeff,

And it's a Tuesday.

Thank you both for the great responses. We are going to use that route JB suggested and get as much done. I hope we do get to see some old Jeeps and people in uniform. This will be my 3 WWII cemetery (Florence and Tunisia previously) to visit too, and always find them very humbling to go to. Thanks again for the tips and insight into the anniversary events. Cheers!