Istanbul disembark process

harborchick

Can anyone tell me what the disembarkment process is like in Istanbul? Our ship arrives in port at 7 am and we will be using a Windstar transfer to get to our hotel which is just a couple of miles from port. Do we need to get a Visa before getting off the ship and is that process time consuming? And does the transfer process run pretty smoothly? We were hoping to meet at private guide at our hotel no later than 8:30 am. Meeting at the hotel would allow us to stash our luggage before touring. However, if the disembarkment process is long or tricky, perhaps it’s better to meet the guide in port and have him store our bags in his car (although that makes me a little nervous…). Another option would be to move our hotel meet up time--I just have no idea how long it might take.

Many thanks for any thoughts:)

If you have prepaid transfers, use them to get to your hotel and reschedule your guide for 10 am. If not then just have your guide meet you at the pier and have him drop your bags at your hotel since its close. I think it would be difficult to get your bags much before 8:30. Your visa is a paper stamp in your passport. You need to get one when you leave as well (and pay for that one). Jack in Reno, NV

Thank you, Jack! Gosh, 10 am seems so late. I am now torn between taking the Windstar sponsored day in Istanbul, which includes the tour, luggage handling and transfer to hotel. Windstar lists that tour as starting at 7 am.

Thank you so much for your insight!

Archived