Embera Indian Village ~ Clothed Or Not?

JimAOk1945

I have a somewhat odd question. I'm interested in doing the Authentic Embera Indian Village shore excursion on our Partial Transit Cruise on the Island Princess in December.

Although the information on the Princess website says the women are unclothed from the waist up, I've seen pictures on the internet showing the Embera women wearing decorative bikini-type tops.

What can I expect to see? I don't want to be taken by surprise and stand there with my mouth gaping open if you know what I mean! :eek:

Thanks!

I have a somewhat odd question. I'm interested in doing the Authentic Embera Indian Village shore excursion on our Partial Transit Cruise on the Island Princess in December.

Although the information on the Princess website says the women are unclothed from the waist up, I've seen pictures on the internet showing the Embera women wearing decorative bikini-type tops.

What can I expect to see? I don't want to be taken by surprise and stand there with my mouth gaping open if you know what I mean!

Thanks!

JimAOK - Dress and "nudity" or lack thereof is strictly a cultural issue. Same thing in any culture. And it depends on many things ... a baby sees breasts and thinks "lunch", the same kid when he's fourteen ... is off to lock his bedroom door! Whether or not the women will wear tops or the kind of loose coins strung on strings top will depend on the village you visit and their commitment to "authenticity." The village Princess typically uses on the Authentic all day tour is Embera Puru which prides itself in preserving Embera tradition. As some of my friends there say, "We are the REAL Embera!" Even in this village there are variations. The older women do not wear tops because it is not their Embera tradition. [Remember, these folks live in the steaming Chagres jungle!] The younger, more "rebellious" women, who've been more exposed to gringo culture and fashion, prefer tops. [Funny, in a way the opposite of our culture where "less" is often more "rebellious".] Some of the closer in, more "touristy" villages a few years ago were quietly advised by one tour operator from an upscale cruise line that some guests found the "nudity" offensive, and so that village made an economic decision to adjust. Same thing with the guys and loin cloths. The more "touristy" village developed a kind of beaded skirt for the guys. The tradition outfit for the guys is loin cloth. The fact is loin cloths are highly overrated! Shorts, commando-style, although not "traditional" are more comfortable for daily wear for the guys. Although, in my experience, at least at Embera Puru, in daily life the women dress exactly as you'll see them, depending on their personal choices.

The government provides a primary school and sends in a teacher (a week at a time) to places like Embera Puru. [interestingly the Panama Government requires the children, who run around near-naked otherwise, to wear uniforms and shoes and socks to school!] But if the children want to go to what we call in the US junior and senior high, the parents have to pay (with money they raise from selling craftwork) to send them away to private boarding schools. Many of these schools are run by various missionary outfits which influence the kids fashion sense.

I admire my Embera friends for their commitment to preserve a culture that was here when Columbus arrived. How they work that out, in a country that is quickly becoming "first world" is up to them. I remember going in by dug out canoe with my friend from Embera Puru. We were headed to the little town on the lake where I had left my car, and then to Panama City. Then was headed home but my friend, the village chief at the time, needed to see the village lawyer. We took along a beautiful 16-year-old bare-breasted Embera girl who needed to see a doctor in Panama City. When we got to the village where my car was parked she disappeared and we waited 45 minutes. When she came back she was dressed like any other 16-year-old Panamanian teenager: jeans so tight you'd swear they were painted on, bare midrift, made up to the hilt.

These are warm, wonderful people. Any "nudity" is totally forgotten in ten minutes. Go on the Authentic Embera Village Tour and have a wonderful time! Regards, Richard

image099.png?w=584

image100.png?w=584

Richard,

Your explanation gives me a better idea of what to expect if I decide to book this excursion.

I admire these people for trying so hard to preserve their heritage. So many cultures are lost due to "progress" and "civilization." An example of this is Hawaii where I was born and raised. The island of Niihau is the last bastion of "real" Hawaiians.

Thanks so very much for your detailed information.