Carib Territory

jerrib

I personally set up a custom central island tour for Dominica that included stops at the Emerald Pool, Jacko Falls, The Carib(Kalinago) territory/model village, Mr. Nice's fruit stand, Layou River valley and the Botanical gardens/Morne Bruce viewpoint.

There is a small visitor's center at the model village where for $10 per person (IIRC) one can take a guided tour of the model village. The tour starts in the visitor's center where there are informational placards on the walls giving a brief history of the tribe along with a little narration provided by the guide.

The guided tour then goes along about a 1/3 mile path that loops around passing by various model structures and fauna that are representative of the Kalinago tribe. The walk is pleasant and there are some nice views of the rugged Eastern Dominica seascape as well as a pretty waterfall that runs into the sea.

Upon returning (and there is another stop to do the same at a roadside viewpoint before reaching the village), there are a couple handcrafts booths where one can view and purchase quality handmade woven baskets/goods that the Kalinago tribe is well known for.

Is it worth it? Well, the trip out there is a bit out of the way from some of the other more popular tourist destinations on the island, but it is unique and the Dominica countryside scenery to and fro is pleasant.

The model village itself is sort of a work in progress as it is still being built and undergoing some construction/expansion.

I would say that for someone who may be interested in the original indigenous culture(s) -- that also are the namesake of the entire island region (Carib), it could be a worthwhile trek that differs from the beach day/jungle-tour typical for cruise visitors to the island.

You likely won't see anybody else from your ship unless they are joining you for the day.

Would I do it again if returning to the island? Probably not, as I would want to do something different (perhaps check out Scott's Head), but I'm still glad that I included it in the custom tour that I set up.

Thanks Skai !

Based on your description, I think I'll pass. I didn't realize it was a "re-created village". It is a long way to go and I'm afraid I would be disappointed.

Thanks so much for your input.