Costa Maya (Majahual) snorkel suggestions

sckal

I'm on a Princess ship in February with a stop here. I've done some research and contacted one or two dive shops who also do snorkel tours. Their "lack" of response or lengthy delayed response leaves me less than sure they're the ones I should go with. So I turn to my fellow Cruise Critic snorkelers for advice. Any favorite companies for this stop? I'm an experienced snorkeler with my own gear and not enamored with "cattle call" ship tours. But i'm also a single female going on my own so it's really important I be safe too.

• 4 weeks later...

We are going there as well in January with Princess. It is the only stop that we are not doing an excursion. I've read that you can snorkel off the beach on the Malecon - near Blue Kay is best, but you can also ask someone to take you on a tour when you get to one of these all inclusives. Our plan is to go the Tropicante and just swim off shore. I've heard it is so-so, but we just want to relax and hang out.

We are going there as well in January with Princess. It is the only stop that we are not doing an excursion. I've read that you can snorkel off the beach on the Malecon - near Blue Kay is best, but you can also ask someone to take you on a tour when you get to one of these all inclusives. Our plan is to go the Tropicante and just swim off shore. I've heard it is so-so, but we just want to relax and hang out.

Thanks, that's what I've read as well. You can get people to take you off Uvero Beach. I've also heard about Maya Chan resort where there's good snorkeling off the beach. Have a great time! I'm there first week of February.

• 1 month later...

You are welcome. We just got back from Tropicante and it was a great place to call home for a day. No charge for chairs, just need to buy a few things from them. We ended up getting massages and food and drink. Steve Uhl, the owner said they would take us out snorkeling at a reef for $25 per person and that is not a cattle type snorkeling. I might opt for that next time I'm there. I think it's pretty safe but if you can find someone on your role call to go with that would be recommended.

Bill

You are welcome. We just got back from Tropicante and it was a great place to call home for a day. No charge for chairs, just need to buy a few things from them. We ended up getting massages and food and drink. Steve Uhl, the owner said they would take us out snorkeling at a reef for $25 per person and that is not a cattle type snorkeling. I might opt for that next time I'm there. I think it's pretty safe but if you can find someone on your role call to go with that would be recommended.

Bill

Thanks for the feedback. I actually decided to do a Discover Scuba w/ Gypsea. They're a small operation and have good reviews on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic.

You will love diving with Catherine and Abel. Mahahual will be a great place for your discover scuba.

Harris

Denver, CO

That's great to hear, thanks Harris! I've done a discover scuba 5 or 6 times before, but I hear this is a great reef to do it again, perhaps better than snorkeling because of the waves and currents.

The reef protects the beach there, so it's about 100 yards out. There isn't much in the way of currents. It will be much more fun to be on scuba than snorkeling there. After 5 or 6 times isn't it time to just go ahead and get your open water cert? :)

Harris

Denver, CO