New to snorkeling - where should I try/buy?

K-AND-L

First cruise coming up in mid January, to Eastern Caribbean on Britannia. Last time I snorkeled was 50 years ago, briefly, but am very keen to do it in warm waters. I live in an inland UK village with no dive shops in easy distance. I have very poor eyesight so am about to order a prescription mask, which will be done online (they'll send me a mask in advance to mark up for pupil centres, which I thought is a really good idea). But what about the rest of the kit?

I have broad feet with a high arch :( so will really need to try on fins before purchasing. Would I be better tracking down somewhere in the UK where i can try different makes / sizes, or buying them at our first port of call - St Johns, Antigua, and if so, does anyone have any recommendations for good dive shops there that would meet my needs?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I was on a cruise when you posted this, and just caught it.

The mask is the trickiest thing, and it sounds like you're well underway with that.

My recommendation for fins is to go with an "open heel" design. This requires that you wear a neoprene bootie with the fin. The advantage is they are more comfortable and the sizing is easier. The booties are your foot size, and then the fins are simply "Small/Medium/Large". Another advantage for a snorkeler is the booties give your foot good protection when walking in and out of the water.

By way of example of what I'm talking about you can Google the Scubapro Delta 5 boots and the Scubapro Jet Sport fins. Those would work quite well for you, as would similar products from many manufacturers.

As far as Antigua, I'll be there in early February, and I've learned the dive shops are all a good distance from the port. Of course you'll be able to snorkel closer, but doesn't sound likely you'd be able to plan on buying top quality gear close by there.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv