CC Editor on Star Flyer 6/19

Erica@cruisecritic

Hi everyone!

I'm headed to the Pacific for the June 19 10-night cruise on Star Flyer (SOCIETY ISLANDS & TUAMOTU ATOLLS) and will report back when I return. Is anyone joining me onboard? I didn't see a roll call for this sailing.

So if you have any questions about Star Flyer, shore excursions, the islands, etc. please post them here and I'll try to answer as many as possible (most likely when I return rather than while I'm onboard). If you email me by Wednesday afternoon, I'll print out the questions to take with me.

Back in July,

Erica

Hi Erica, a friend and I are booked on Star Flyer for Nov 9, first time to Fr Polynesia but multiple time Star Clipper passengers,, we will be staying in Moorea for 5 days pre trip - can you report back on small or less formal type of tours available (snorkle trips, smaller operators, island tours, etc. besides the ones you read about on every travel site)? Also, general tips on what is great in Moorea and how to best spend 2 days in Tahiti? This info would be much appreciated. Also, info on great places to eat on Moorea that don't cost a fortune would be appreciated.

thanks, enjoy your sail!

Erica..we sail Dec 7..we are not snorkelers..does the Star Flyer dock where you can get off the ship and walk around or only anchor out? If you can get off the ship..are there taxis there for brief excursions once off?

Thanks a lot..

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...

I'm newly back in the U.S. and can report that the French Polynesia trip is fabulous!

To answer some questions...

Mexfolkart -- Star Flyer is at anchor in every port but runs tenders to shore. Bora Bora is the best for wandering around town and shopping, hailing a cab, or renting a car/bike/buggy. Moorea (Cook's Bay) also seemed to have some cabs (we called in advance and had the rental car people pick us up). In Taha'a, the ship runs tenders to a motu for beach time -- you can't go to the main island without booking a ship tour. In Huahine, there's not much at port -- people went to the beach but I don't know if they walked or found a cab. Also, if you like other water sports -- waterskiing, kayaking, sailing -- the Sports Team runs water sports in most places.

GHRAustin -- I think every operator on Moorea is a small operator! We rented a car from Avis, which was quite easy, and did our own island tour with a Frommers guidebook. We also saw places to rent buggies and bikes. Up on the Belvedere, there is a trail leading from the marae -- we didn't take it all the way but you could do a nice walk on your own. The Agricultural School also has an hourlong self-guided tour with great views of the mountains. The beach by the Sofitel is supposed to be nice and I bet you could do snorkeling from shore. We saw people doing parasailing and sailing in small boats, which could be fun, and I highly recommend snorkeling or diving. There are also some guided hikes, which sounded nice.

As for cheap food, good luck. Our friends got pizza for $80!!! We skipped lunch in favor of really delicious tropical fruit milkshakes at the Agricultural School. At 550 XPF, they were worth every penny!

In Tahiti, we heard the ATV tour was absolutely fabulous. Definitely visit the market (just not on Sunday when everything closes early). Everyone also recommends a trip to the Three Waterfalls. We did a lot of relaxing at the hotel pool/beach, esp. as our first day there, it rained all day.

Any more questions?

Erica

Thanks Erica! I sent an email to your logon.com hoping it was your email address. If that isn't it let us know.

Mike

I'll answer your questions here in case other people are interested in the answers.

1. Scuba excursions: I don't think there's a set schedule for scuba excursions and I know people were frustrated by times changing during the cruise. You kind of have to be laidback about the tours on this trip! They have a scuba meeting the first or second day, so make sure you go to that. You can always sign up for a tour and cross your name off later, and if you think there might be a conflict, ask Megan (or whoever the Sports Team leader is that cruise) if maybe she can work around it.

2. Rental cars: There was nothing in Huahine near the port that I could see. You could ask the cruise director when you board, or just get off and see if a Le Truck or something could take you around. There's not much on the island -- you might be better off with a tour (which were fabulous, btw). In Moorea, Avis picked us up at the dock in Cook's Bay no problem and it was a 2-minute ride to their office. I emailed vaiare.avismoorea@mail.pf to set it up.

3. Beach BBQ: On the 10-day cruise, the beach BBQ was in Fakarava. In Taha'a, they ran shuttles to a little motu from the morning until 3 pm (I believe), so my guess is the BBQ is on that island around lunchtime and you can hang out as long as the ship is anchored. Don't know how it works if you're at Raiatea half the day (we didn't go there).

4. Kayaks: I think as long as watersports are going on, you can keep the kayaks out as long as you want. No one ever told us we had to bring them back at a certain time. They were most used during our beach BBQ when they brought the kayaks to shore, so maybe there was a time limit then. But it's pretty laidback. If you tell the Sports Team you want them for 2 hours or whatever, they'll know not to worry when you don't come back right away.

Does this help?

Erica

Thanks Erica!

I had a feeling things would be pretty laid back.....which really is what we are looking for this trip. Last trip on the Tahitian Princess, we concentrated on getting as much diving in as possible and missed out on really experiencing the islands as much as we'd like. This time we're just going to go with the flow....no rushing around to meet deadlines, etc.

Since you left, have finally been able to make contact with Avis Pacificar and arrange cars on Huahine & Moorea. The office in Huahine is at the Mobil station across from the dock. On Moorea, they will pick us up at Cooks Bay the first day and at Opunohu Bay the next morning if we need the car longer. Was also able to contact the Activities desk at the Radisson and arrange a dive, whale watching excursion & a rental car so we'll be set if we decide to not just hang at the Hotel for 2 days:) According to them, Europcar has pulled out of Tahiti, which is why we were having such difficulties contacting them.:rolleyes:

We're looking forward to taking the kayaks out....we always rented them while in Hawaii & finding great snorkeling spots along the coast. After a few whacks with the oars till we got in sync, it was pretty easy and enjoyable.

Glad you had a great time & hope to see some pics before we leave!

Mike

• 1 month later...

Archived