Bodrum Castle of the Knights of St.Peter

We'll be in Bodrum next month on Celebrity Reflection and we're looking at the ship's shore excursion to the Castle. We'll be there on a Monday so it appears that's our only option to see the castle and museum. I'm a little concerned as the description says the activity level is "strenuous". In this particular case, what does that really mean. We can handle walking and some stairs, but a couple in our party can only handle a few stairs at a time. Any personal experiences would be appreciated.

We'll be in Bodrum next month on Celebrity Reflection and we're looking at the ship's shore excursion to the Castle. We'll be there on a Monday so it appears that's our only option to see the castle and museum. I'm a little concerned as the description says the activity level is "strenuous". In this particular case, what does that really mean. We can handle walking and some stairs, but a couple in our party can only handle a few stairs at a time. Any personal experiences would be appreciated.

As I recall our experiences in charming, historic and interesting Bodrum, we really enjoyed our visit to their Castle/museum. I do not remember it as being that "strenuous". BUT, it is an old, old structure with various levels and a number of places to see, explore, etc., within its thick stone walls. As is the case at many locations in Europe, the pavement can be varied/uneven, steps can be required, etc.

My suggestions? Check with the staff cruise excursion people when you or they get on the ship!! Get more specific details from them and/or when there ask your guide how best to "modify" your tour route in order to determine the best combination of seeing the best options there by taking the fewest steps, lessening the up and down of doing steps, etc. Most good guides, even on ship tours, are happy to provide key tips to aid those on these excursions.

Below are a few of my visuals for this excellent "star" in Bodrum.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 217,323 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is Bodrum Castle, also called the Castle of St. Peter. It was built from 1402 by the Knights Hospitaller during the crusades of the middle ages and is considered the most prominent landmark in Bodrum. It operates as a museum, with the focus on the Museum of Underwater Archaeology. Its collection has finds from underwater excavations along the Turkish coast including the famous Uluburun Shipwreck. This was one of the earliest and richest wrecks discovered. This castle is considered one of the world's best preserved monuments dating back to medieval times.:

BodrumCastle.jpg

Starting with where we entered this museum/castle, these visuals offer just a small sampling for the wide variety of interesting sights and experiences here. Even some animals and birds, here. Lots of unique history, beautiful gardens, lots of character, etc. The fifth picture is a view from the castle walls out towards the water and city areas.:

TravelSept161_zpsx0kccgqw.jpg

TravelSept162_zpsxrjrgbsf.jpg

TravelSept163_zpsnjb2igro.jpg

TravelSept165_zps5eonqhcc.jpg

TravelSept164_zpsrdlpllpt.jpg