Northstar Mendenhall Glacier Trek

defaultscrname

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has done the Northstar Mendenhall glacier trek. I understand that there are three levels of the particular excursion 1,2, and 3. I've heard that the level 3 is pretty strenuous and also pretty incredible. My brother and I are both Marines so I dont feel like we would have too much trouble with it but would my father who is in his late 40's in moderate shape be able to cut it?

Is this the 4 hour trekk??? Gets consistant raves, I don't ever recall a negative post on this long standing well established company. :) I would however, inquire directly from them, since they would be able to give you specific examples of what their tour involves.

Just returned from my cruise and did the level 2 trek with Northstar. Quality company, great excursion. During the trek I asked the guide specifically the difference between the level 2 and 3 trek. Was told that the level 3 does not go back any further on the glacier, but spends the extra time looking at additional glacier features around the same area. There are many to see! Also, about 1 hour of the extra time for the level 3 trek is spent climbing an ice wall. The guide said that some people who do that trek opt out of doing the ice wall when the time comes, so they spend that hour watching others climb the wall. With the exception of the ice wall, I believe the same climbing skills are used on all the trips. Some of the difference is just the amount of time you want to spend on the glacier. For instance, I don't believe the level 2 trek is much more strenuous than the level 1 trek because you have time to take a break when others are climbing up or down a feature or when everyone stops to take a few pictures. So, if your father is up to spending more time on the glacier, I'm guessing he could handle the level 3 trek if you want to spend the extra time on the glacier and climb the ice wall. I believe he'd have the option of not doing the ice wall if he chose not to. For me, I went with the level 2 because I didn't necessarily need to do the ice wall, and didn't want to tie up all my time in port on one excursion. I wanted to leave some time to walk around Juneau. To be honest, I also planned my excursions so I didn't have to go too long without access to a restroom. : ) As recommended, I'd contact Northstar directly. They were very helpful in answering my pre-cruise questions. I'm sure you'll have a great time with whichever trek you choose!

Hi!

We just got back from Alaska on Sunday..It is PARADISE on Earth!

We did a Helicopter/Glacier Trek with Northstar out of Juneau...EXCELLENT company to go with! From what others had said after their trips, Northstar provides so much more than Temsco, Coastal etc...they give you everything coats,/raingear, pants, gloves, winter hiking boots, crampons, a fanny pack with water, kleenex,energy bars etc...Our pilot was exceptional and very confident( even when the weather turned foggy on the return :eek: ) We did the Walkabout 1 hour on the glacier..it was awesome! We saw so much! Did lots of walking, a little climbing.Drank some delicious Glacier water..brought some home too.. We are avid hikers, but some in our group weren't experienced hikers so we had decided to choose this tour. Next time we'll do a level 4..:D I'm certainly up for it!

Have a Blast!!

Snowshooz :p

Archived