Hotel Help Please

Gary34

Hi,

This is my first post(not counting my roll call) as I am a forums lurker, lol. I am taking the family to New Orleans for a cruise on the Dream. We will be flying in Saturday August 22nd 1 day early just in case. I have been looking for rooms in the warehouse area so we are close to the ships.

My questions are these for any one that has some expertise on the area as I have never been to this great city. Is it possible to walk from any certain hotel in this area for a family of 4? Is there any hotels that you can recommend or advise to stay away from. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

If you look at New Orleans on Google Maps, the cruise ships will be tied up just above the Crescent City Connection Bridge (Pontchartrain Expressway). Just in front (streetside) of where the ships will be docked is the Cruise Terminal, and behind that, the Convention Center.

I'm not sure where you're asking about walking to... if you mean the cruise terminal, there are quite a few hotels in the area that should be within walking distance, although you have to go around the Convention Center which I think takes up that entire block (using Julia Street I would think, beside the Whale parking lot many cruisers use). We stayed at the Marriott on Convention Center Blvd., but took a cab to the terminal because it was raining. Off the top of my head, in that general area there is the Marriott, Embassy Suites, Wyndham, and Courtyard Inn. Look in the Downtown / Convention Center area. Google street view will give you lots of info too.

I'm not sure if this link will work, but I just searched for "hotels near New Orleans Convention Center". The building marked 'New Orleans Ernest N. Morial...' is the convention center, and the cruise terminal is the long skinny building right behind it on the river.

https://www.google.ca/maps/search/hotels+near+new+orleans+convention+center/@29.9440116,-90.0631606,1272m/data=!3m1!1e3

Thanks, thats a good start. I cant believe some of these are sold out already!

Since the cruise ships leave from right behind the Convention Center, there are many of the hotels booked for conventions.

We are sailing out of NOLA in June and my suggestion is to book early. Taking the advice from this forum (thank you everyone!) I booked the Hampton Inn at the Convention Center a while back and checked the price yesterday, thinking we might get a price break. Nope, rooms were limited and it went up $80 for the night!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in October this year. We park at the port to avoid shuttles since we are a family of 5. Trying to get 5 of us on the same shuttle is normally a nightmare! Embassy is an easy drive to the port and a fairly easy walk to the French Quarter. We booked rooms with a balcony view to be able to see the Dream pull into port. Great view but be warned, it's a noisy side of the street! As others have said, BOOK EARLY! No matter what time of year it is, there is always something going on in NOLA so hotels are at a premium price and hard to find.

Edited by maprn

We are staying at the Hilton Riverside. Though they do not provide shuttle service, they said a cab ride is approx 5 minutes to the cruise terminal, walking looks like 10-15 (though I am not sure you can walk right along the water) but more importantly, the river street car has a stop right outside the hotel. Just hop on (I think a $1.25 per person) and the last stop I think is the cruise terminal. Poydras Station is the one outside the Hilton Riverside and the Cruise Terminal stop is John Churchhill Chase station. Says a 7 minute trip, give or take. If you google it, you can see the stations.

Our plan is to take the street car, unless we can easily walk it. We will scope it out the night before without our luggage.

Other than that, as many have suggested, there are lots of hotels close by, and most should be a short cab ride away.

Cheers

B

Many hotels are close by, anything in the area of the convention center. However, I would not try to walk it. It is not easy. The cab fare is about $7-9 from any of those areas and well worth it. The streets in that are not supposed to be used for foot traffic, and sometimes the cops are strict and other times not. It is a zoo with arriving and departing at the same time. And then there's the weather. And some cobblestone/brick streets don't make it any easier. Cab is the best way.

Street car is fine with no luggage, they do not allow luggage on board the street cars.

Edited by rvsullivan

I was just on the phone with the travel and convention centre bureau and they informed me that luggage is allowed on all public transit. I have an email in with the transit authority to confirm as well. This makes sense to me as no major city in NA or Europe that I have visited refuses luggage. I think the concern of there being no room on the streetcar because it is busy may be valid.

Once i have confirmation from NOLA transit authority, i will let everyone know.

Cheers

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

Please do, I've seen a few stranded and trying to find a cab after the streetcar refused them entry. Where are all of our locals when we need them?

Directly from NORTA:

Good Afternoon,

Luggage is allowed on all RTA buses and streetcars as long as they do not BLOCK the isles in any way do to safety reasons.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us directly at 504-248-3900 RTA Rideline.

Thank you,

Ninette

RTA Rideline Supervisor

Thus as I stated in regards to your post, it is possible that the streetcar is too busy and thus it is no safe to have the luggage on board but luggage is allowed on board. We will give it a try and see what happens. Worse comes to worse, my wife and daughter take the streetcar and I take a cab with the luggage or walk it.

Anyhoo, I am done with this posting as I just wanted to make sure I posted the information from the transit authority.

Gary34, I am happy you found a place which suits your needs. Have a safe and wonderful trip to NOLA!

Cheers

B

Edited by Billy101

• 2 weeks later...

Because of so much conflicting information regarding the streetcars, I called the transit authority today. They do now allow luggage on streetcars and it must be placed under the seats. I questioned if this allowed for large suitcases and was assured they are OK with it. If anyone wants to double check for themselves here is the phone number:

(504) 248-3900