Ship transfers or cab in Seattle, pier 30

buckspc

Would it be best to buy the Princess transfers from the pier (#30) to Sea on dis embarkation day? We have a 12:30 pm flight to San Francisco. I have read here that getting a cab is hectic at best there. If I purchase the ship transfers would they get us to the airport in time? Thanks for any input, Buck

Would it be best to buy the Princess transfers from the pier (#30) to Sea on dis embarkation day? We have a 12:30 pm flight to San Francisco. I have read here that getting a cab is hectic at best there. If I purchase the ship transfers would they get us to the airport in time? Thanks for any input, Buck

If you use Princess transfers, you will likely get off the ship sooner than if you are taking a cab, and you won't have to wait in the long taxi queue.

Karen gives great advice! Something you might keep in mind, however, Princess sometimes drops you off at the airport a great distance from your airline check in point. (We have done this twice from Pier 30.) The first time, we had to carry our luggage what seemed like a half mile. The second time, they took our luggage and checked it in at tables where they dropped us off, and we went on to check in. We also had to wait in a long line to get on a Princess transfer. Getting a cab may be just as difficult, but we are going to try it this time.

We purchased a Seattle City Tour excursion from the ship to ensure our transportation to SeaTac and to have an enjoyable worry-free (no luggage hassles) time in Seattle. Our flight wasn't until almost midnight.

I agree with lovingretirement on the drop-off location. The convenience of it depends on which airline you are using. There are several tables with "skycaps" available to check luggage at the drop-off point (an open area with a roof). Our airline wasn't one participating in that offer (despite having an area labeled with its name and logo), so we had to trek up the hill with our luggage to the regular check-in counters in the main entrance.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience last August leads me to say: CAB ONLY -- NO TO PRIN BUS!

By late Aug 07, Princess had ALL SUMMER to "get it right"...

This was our 16th cruise & we faced the worst disembarkation mess in luggage room & getting outside than we have ever experienced in all our cruises!!!

Huge lines of people trying to get a porter & NONE to be found inside!!!

All porters were outside standing in HUGE LONG lines with people trying to get onto buses.

We had to drag our 5 pieces of luggage ourselves!! NO LINE at cab stand!

Unlike my friends who will be flying home after disembarking from our HAL cruise at the end of the month, I'll be staying over in Seattle for a couple of days at the Renaissance. Will it be easy to catch a cab at the pier to my hotel or should I prepare myself for a wait?

Unlike my friends who will be flying home after disembarking from our HAL cruise at the end of the month, I'll be staying over in Seattle for a couple of days at the Renaissance. Will it be easy to catch a cab at the pier to my hotel or should I prepare myself for a wait?

You will wait in line for a while, but you will get one.

Thanks for your help once again Karen, I really appreciate it. I've had many other questions to ask but thankfully other posters have beaten me to the punch. This has to be one of the most helpful boards on CC, with most of the thanks going to you.

Thanks for your help once again Karen, I really appreciate it. I've had many other questions to ask but thankfully other posters have beaten me to the punch. This has to be one of the most helpful boards on CC, with most of the thanks going to you.

I appreciate your sentiments, but we are all here to help each other. If anything else comes up, just ask.

$18 per pax, its a good deal as we were on the bus in a Jiffy and off to Sea with lots of time to make our flight, would be the same going to pier 30, but I think going for 2 people a cab would be better but not coming back to sea. Go figure, Buck

It cost us $43 for a cab from sea to the Comfort Suites.

No, it is not in the zone that qualifies for flat rate, so you are on the meter. Usually runs $35 to 40 for two pax.

Hi Karen........you've mentioned elsewhere that usually only 2 people to a cab. There will be four of us, all adults (2 young, 2 old.....;) ). We'll each have one piece of luggage (largest 24") and each have a carry-on. We've considered reserving with Shuttle Express but have concerns about what time to go with and then if we're delayed, missing out entirely....plus how do we find the one there to pick us up? Too many unknowns and is stressful just thinking about it.

Is there any other option we may not be considering but should? Oh, we'll be disembarking at Pier 66 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

ML

Hi Karen........you've mentioned elsewhere that usually only 2 people to a cab. There will be four of us, all adults (2 young, 2 old.....;) ). We'll each have one piece of luggage (largest 24") and each have a carry-on. We've considered reserving with Shuttle Express but have concerns about what time to go with and then if we're delayed, missing out entirely....plus how do we find the one there to pick us up? Too many unknowns and is stressful just thinking about it.

Is there any other option we may not be considering but should? Oh, we'll be disembarking at Pier 66 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

ML

If you're really friendly, and no one is extra large sized, you CAN fit four people in a cab, you just won't be overly comfortable for the amount of time it takes to get there....but eight pieces of luggage might be an issue. Honestly, I think some of the cabbies around here forget that they are in the business of transporting other people, and keep tons of their own stuff in the trunk, which is not huge to begin with.

Which cruise line are you coming in on? X arrives at a different time than NCL does. If I know that, might be able to give you some better options.

If you're really friendly, and no one is extra large sized, you CAN fit four people in a cab, you just won't be overly comfortable for the amount of time it takes to get there....but eight pieces of luggage might be an issue. Honestly, I think some of the cabbies around here forget that they are in the business of transporting other people, and keep tons of their own stuff in the trunk, which is not huge to begin with.

Which cruise line are you coming in on? X arrives at a different time than NCL does. If I know that, might be able to give you some better options.

Gosh, I never thought of cabbies having stuff in the trunks already!! It is my husband and our two 20-something children, all regular to small in size. Our carryon's are backpacks. Two suitcases are 24" that expand a bit, one 31" duffle bag & one 28" duffle. We'll be coming into Seattle Pier 66 on NCL Star 5/31.

I liked the Shuttle Express idea knowing something was there for us, but again the questions I had about how we would get picked up and if we were delayed........just seemed like more worry then help.

ML

Gosh, I never thought of cabbies having stuff in the trunks already!! It is my husband and our two 20-something children, all regular to small in size. Our carryon's are backpacks. Two suitcases are 24" that expand a bit, one 31" duffle bag & one 28" duffle. We'll be coming into Seattle Pier 66 on NCL Star 5/31.

I liked the Shuttle Express idea knowing something was there for us, but again the questions I had about how we would get picked up and if we were delayed........just seemed like more worry then help.

ML

Yeah, I know, dumb, huh? I've had them come to pick me up knowing that I was going to Amtrak or the cruise terminal, and have their trunk already 3/4 full of their own junk. The cabbies here lease their vehicles, so they drive them around when they are off duty, too.

If you needed to, you could always hold your backpacks in your laps.

The other option for you is to walk across the street to the Marriott, call for the Gray Line connector bus, then go with the Airporter from the hotel where they drop you off downtown:

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

There are always plenty of taxis at Pier 66, they line up there for hours before and after disembarkation starts and embarkation is ready to start. You may have to wait a bit in the queue, but you will always get one, they make sure of that. You will be able to fit four people in if three are sized properly to sit together in the back and one in the front, unless you get one of the new Toyota or Honda hybrid cabs, then you might have a problem fitting four people in plus the driver.

Or you could also go with NCL's transfers. You will have to sit on the bus long enough for them to fill it up, but that doesn't normally take a hugely long time.

Or you could also go with NCL's transfers. You will have to sit on the bus long enough for them to fill it up, but that doesn't normally take a hugely long time.

I felt NCL transfers were highway robbery. :eek: Thanks for all the information. We'll probably stick with waiting for a cab and hope for the best.

Archived