Summit Fun Factory...activities and other questions..

RCKM43

We are traveling on the summit this summer with a 4 year old and a 2 year old, we are elite with celebrity but haven't taken the girls on a cruise before so sorry for all the questions.

Does anyone have the Fun factory sheets for the Summit? Especially the ones that will have the activities for 4 year olds. I'm trying to get an idea of what activities she will probably really want to do (I saw mention in the other thread of a pirates and a dinosaur activities) and if she might want to do any of the paid times as well as the free times. We aren't looking to put her in for extended periods of time we like to do family things but she is very social and I know she will want to be with the other children at least part of the time.

Also with the meals - is there only a set menu? Can they accommodate a child with food allergies or will my 4 year old not be able to participate in any of the fun factory meal times if she wanted to.

Also my almost 2 year old (will be 2 in 2 weeks) is partly trained - we are hopeful she will be trained by the trip. I know I can't leave her - she would never separate from me to go by herself anyway- but what can I take her to? Can I take her to the children's pool? Climbing area? What will they allow me to do with her? She is attached to her sister -would they let me bring her to any activities that my 4 year old will be at (of course provided either my DH or I or her grandparent stays with her at all times)? Will they let her do any activities if she is not 100% potty trained? I am hearing mixed responses to that question from people I have met IRL but the experiences seem to vary greatly.

Do they provide any drinks or snacks during the non meal times?

What happens if my DD is in the factory and wants to come back to me - how do they let you know?

Also when would I need to sign her up for the paid times - as soon as we get on board or can I do it the day of. If I have to sign her up when we get on board can you cancel without penalty if she changes her mind and doesn't want to go.

We are traveling on the summit this summer with a 4 year old and a 2 year old, we are elite with celebrity but haven't taken the girls on a cruise before so sorry for all the questions.

Does anyone have the Fun factory sheets for the Summit? Especially the ones that will have the activities for 4 year olds. I'm trying to get an idea of what activities she will probably really want to do (I saw mention in the other thread of a pirates and a dinosaur activities) and if she might want to do any of the paid times as well as the free times. We aren't looking to put her in for extended periods of time we like to do family things but she is very social and I know she will want to be with the other children at least part of the time.

On one of the other posts there is a list of the hours and which are paid but they are...

9AM-5PM free of charge, except on port days during lunch there is a fee from 12-2PM of $6.00 per hour

5PM-7PM Dinner with the counselors in the buffet $6.00 fee

7PM-10PM free of charge

Also with the meals - is there only a set menu? Can they accommodate a child with food allergies or will my 4 year old not be able to participate in any of the fun factory meal times if she wanted to.

Yes- they will ask you for any food allergies and make sure that they are offered a snack that they are not allergic too. Snacks are usually fruit.

Also my almost 2 year old (will be 2 in 2 weeks) is partly trained - we are hopeful she will be trained by the trip. I know I can't leave her - she would never separate from me to go by herself anyway- but what can I take her to? Can I take her to the children's pool? Climbing area? What will they allow me to do with her? She is attached to her sister -would they let me bring her to any activities that my 4 year old will be at (of course provided either my DH or I or her grandparent stays with her at all times)? Will they let her do any activities if she is not 100% potty trained? I am hearing mixed responses to that question from people I have met IRL but the experiences seem to vary greatly.

There is baby pool but I still think they are supposed to be potty trained. There is a play area outside the Fun Factory that she is allowed to use with you being there. The baby pool is almost never used because its in the shade.

Yes they do provide light snacks but they want you to come and get them on sea days for lunch. They don't take the kids to lunch on sea days only on port days.

What happens if my DD is in the factory and wants to come back to me - how do they let you know?

There are no pagers but they will ring your room. I just check in with my son every two hours to see if he wants to leave. If its a medical emergency they would obviously page you on the loudspeaker and get care for your child immediately.

Also when would I need to sign her up for the paid times - as soon as we get on board or can I do it the day of. If I have to sign her up when we get on board can you cancel without penalty if she changes her mind and doesn't want to go.

They ask that you sign up for port days the day before so that they know how many kids will be there. They also ask that you sign up for dinner when you drop your kids off early in the day. However, they do this to get a general idea and your child will be welcome to join the kids if you come back from an excursion or if they decide at the last minute to do dinner. It hasn't been an issue for me. In fact, if you buy the VIP package, they sort of assume that your child will be in the youth program often and at paid times.

They ask that you sign up for port days the day before so that they know how many kids will be there. They also ask that you sign up for dinner when you drop your kids off early in the day. However, they do this to get a general idea and your child will be welcome to join the kids if you come back from an excursion or if they decide at the last minute to do dinner. It hasn't been an issue for me. In fact, if you buy the VIP package, they sort of assume that your child will be in the youth program often and at paid times.

I don't see on their site any more than a limited description of the VIP package - Do you know how much it costs? I'm not sure if we plan to really use it that much to make it worth it - we are traveling with grandparents who plan on watching the girls some to help us and DD#2 is too young I think to do the activities without us (2yrs) so I'm not sure if it would be worth doing or not.

I believe the VIP pass entitles you to a little backpack with assorted toys in it. Unlimited use of the FF during paid times and a back stage tour. It runs about $110.00 for a 7-night cruise and I think we paid $140 for a 12 night cruise.

You may find that your older child never wants to leave but I agree that if you are all having meals together and she isn't going for night time babysitting after 10PM then it isn't really a value to you.

I believe the VIP pass entitles you to a little backpack with assorted toys in it. Unlimited use of the FF during paid times and a back stage tour. It runs about $110.00 for a 7-night cruise and I think we paid $140 for a 12 night cruise.

You may find that your older child never wants to leave but I agree that if you are all having meals together and she isn't going for night time babysitting after 10PM then it isn't really a value to you.

Since I have the 2 year old I probably won't put the 4 year old in b.c then I won't have anything to do with the 2 year old. But we have family traveling with us - who offered to watch the kids for us most nights so we can have quiet dinners. Maybe when the little one is older that might be worth checking out - but DH works long hours so we like to do things more as a family than separately anyway. But DD#1 is very social so I know she will want to do some things with the other children - just not sure what some of the activities are to figure out how much time she will really want to spend in the program.

Your child will love it and there is a daily sheet explaining the activities. There are family things too like a disco night and bingo and things like this. So you can interact. I would send her for periods during the day and you can do other things with the younger one I'm sure. They like to explore the areas of the ship. I took my then 13 month old to the empty theatre during the day and he would climb up to the stage and dance around and there are quiet places you can go with your child- empty lounges where they will get spoiled with attention of the people working in these spaces. Have a few drinks with the family and let them explore a bit. 2 year olds need lots of exercise and love the attention of the crew. So don't feel that your older one has to entertain her all the time.

Your child will love it and there is a daily sheet explaining the activities. There are family things too like a disco night and bingo and things like this. So you can interact. I would send her for periods during the day and you can do other things with the younger one I'm sure. They like to explore the areas of the ship. I took my then 13 month old to the empty theatre during the day and he would climb up to the stage and dance around and there are quiet places you can go with your child- empty lounges where they will get spoiled with attention of the people working in these spaces. Have a few drinks with the family and let them explore a bit. 2 year olds need lots of exercise and love the attention of the crew. So don't feel that your older one has to entertain her all the time.

That sounds perfect - actually both girls would LOVE the disco and exploring the ship.

I have an activity sheet for the Millennium, sister ship to the Summit, but it is for the 9-11 group. We have been on the Summit and the activities are broken down into half hour segments and include age appropriate games, arts and crafts etc. My DD was in the youngest group on the Constellation and the Summit. The activities are fun and perfect for the littlest kids. Celebrity breaks its groups down into tighter age groups 3-5, 6-8, 9-11 etc and this allows them to structure the activities to a more targeted age range. There is also a ball pit/slide/climbing frame inside the Fun Factory as well as two other structures outside in an enclosed area which also has a toddler pool

The meals aren't in the Fun Factory. The kids go to the buffet and sit in a section by themselves with the counselors. They can eat what they want from the selection available and the staff will know about allergies because you will tell them that on the sheet you fill in when you sign your child up for the kids club.

No. The 2 year old will not be allowed to participate in the program in any way as she is too young and not potty trained. That's two strikes! You MIGHT be able to use some areas when there are no kids there depending on the discretion of the staff, but it isn't likely. You can probably use the play structures outside and the toddler pool, but that's about it. The two kids will not be able to participate together.

Yes, snacks are brought in. My DD said they have things like cookies, jello, fruit etc. There are also trips to the ice cream bar in the afternoon for the older kids.

The youngest kids are signed in and the parent gives a location where they can be found if needed. Can't remember if Celebrity uses pagers for the little kids or not. They probably do. You can also call and check in as well and see if you are needed.

You sign her up as needed. The staff are very flexible, they just need to plan for staffing needs more than anything else. If she doesn't go, you don't pay.

Hope that helps. I also have pictures of the Millennium kids club (same as the Summit) I can e-mail you if you want to give me your address. I have been on the Summit, Millennium and Constellation and the kids club are all identical, very bright and colorful, lots of windows, very fun, kid friendly places to hang out. There's the play structure mentioned, a gaming center, an art room, tons of games and activities and a seating area to watch movies as well.

Edited by Scrapchick

The meals aren't in the Fun Factory. The kids go to the buffet and sit in a section by themselves with the counselors. They can eat what they want from the selection available and the staff will know about allergies because you will tell them that on the sheet you fill in when you sign your child up for the kids club.

No. The 2 year old will not be allowed to participate in the program in any way as she is too young and not potty trained. That's two strikes! You MIGHT be able to use some areas when there are no kids there depending on the discretion of the staff, but it isn't likely. You can probably use the play structures outside and the toddler pool, but that's about it. The two kids will not be able to participate together.

Well by the time of the trip I do expect her to be day trained as she is pretty well along now and we have a few more months and she is determined -her sister trained in about 2 days and we have a few more months until we go. IF she is trained - will that make a difference in your answer? I know she won't be able to swim or do other things if she is not trained - we are prepared if she isn't but I'm trying to figure out what she can do if she is.

See I hear different things - as a mom I met recently told me that they went last year and her 1 year old did the activities with the 3-5 group with his brother - he wasn't trained and they let him in the ball pit, the pool etc, as long as the parent stayed with him. And I similar stories like that from others but I read something very different on here so I don't know.

I would love that info Lillykat242@verizon.net

Thank you!

Edited by RCKM43

There are play areas for the little ones. There is a playground outside that she can play on for sure. I have heard that they are permitted in the FF with parental supervision but NOT in the ballpit for sanitary reasons and possibly safety reasons because of the size of the other children and depth of the ballpit.

I think it's something you will only know for sure once you get on board and talk to the staff. Rules are one thing, but the staff can interpret them as they want to, so it's hard to say for sure. I think you have to assume the worst and hope for the best, but then I am something of an optimistic pessimist most of the time...

For certain, the 2 year old will not be able to participate in the program for the 3-5's because of her age. She may be able to use the facilities at another time. The staff may also lend you toys for her to play with as well. The potty training may change whether she can play in the club with an adult there, but again, it's all down to the interpretation of the staff and they get the final say... Another factor may be the number of kids on board. You said it's a summer cruise. if they have 400 kids on board, they'll be overwhelmed and you stand no chance It depends on so many factors.

As rebeccaslouiseagain said, the outside play structures are available and there is a paddling type pool out there too.

Do I take it that you want me to send you the Fun Factory pictures to your e-mail address???? Please confirm and I'll do that this evening.

FWIW, I have found the Fun Factory staff to be the most flexible and most reasonable of any kids club staff of any ship I've ever been on.

There are play areas for the little ones. There is a playground outside that she can play on for sure. I have heard that they are permitted in the FF with parental supervision but NOT in the ballpit for sanitary reasons and possibly safety reasons because of the size of the other children and depth of the ballpit.

She is very shy and probably would prefer to just play on the playground and wander the ship. If she can go on the playground area she will probably be in her glory. Do you have any pictures of that area on the Summit?

Edited by RCKM43

I just wanted to comment on the food allergy issue. It has been 3 years since we were on the Summit, so my comments are more generalized comments from a parent of two kids with food allergies after taking them on 10+ cruises. My experience is that when they feed the kids, it usually means they take them to either the buffet or the grill. So I think you need to consider your child's particular allergy and how sensitive she is. I would specifically ask the Fun Factory staff: where do you feed them and what are their choices? Princess specifically issues a disclaimer about their buffet because of the potential for cross contamination. We still feel comfortable letting our kids eat there provided they stick to a limited list of foods.

Your 4 year old is too young to be counted on to recognize an allergy issue. My younger DD is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, and some fish. But she is also 10 years old and I can count on her to stick to known foods like cheese pizza, chicken strips, burgers and fries.

If you think your kids is ultra-sensitive (e.g., can't be seated near another kid who is eating the food your kid is allergic to) then I wouldn't let her eat with the youth staff. When my kids eat with me, I know I have an Epipen and Benadryl handy.

Let me add that overall, we are very satisfied that Celebrity and Princess have handled food allergies well. In fact, we think the cruise lines are better and more helpful than your average land restaurant.

She is very shy and probably would prefer to just play on the playground and wander the ship. If she can go on the playground area she will probably be in her glory. Do you have any pictures of that area on the Summit?

Unfortunately not. My pics are inside only, although you can get a glimpse outside of the play area. I did not get to take specific ones of that.

I have not been on the Summit, but we did have a great experience with the Fun Factory on Eclipse. Our son is 4.5. I would like to just add to the discussion by making the general comment that I think Celebrity Fun Factory staffers are in a position to be more flexible and give more individual attention because there are fewer children on Celebrity. So, with more attention and flexibility, your chances of getting the individual needs of your children met are better than if you were sailing on a ship with tons of kids. JMHO.

I sent pictures to your e-mail address. Please check your junk folder if you didn't receive them, as I seem to end up in there a lot. I hope the pictures are useful.

I agree that Celebrity has less kids overall and that allows the staff to be more flexible and accommodating that most other lines. They really do a wonderful job with the kids!

Edited by Scrapchick

Your 4 year old is too young to be counted on to recognize an allergy issue. My younger DD is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, and some fish. But she is also 10 years old and I can count on her to stick to known foods like cheese pizza, chicken strips, burgers and fries.

If you think your kids is ultra-sensitive (e.g., can't be seated near another kid who is eating the food your kid is allergic to) then I wouldn't let her eat with the youth staff. When my kids eat with me, I know I have an Epipen and Benadryl handy.

Well I should preface this with we "think" we are going to make the cruise. The allergist is hopeful. Right now she is on an elimination diet b.c she had severe unexplained hives that have disappeared since we removed most of her food - blood work was negative though so we aren't sure if we have false negatives or a preservative allergy. Right now she is on plain very basic foods - but even at 3 (she won't be 4 until June) - when we go to parties etc she will push the pizza and cake aside and say - sorry but I can't have this thank you anyway. We are hopeful that we will be able to find out exactly what she is allergic to so that we can do the cruise and she can eat and relax. She is fine eating next to others and does so regularly. Whatever she is allergic to I should add is not a new food - which is why we are having trouble pin pointing it. Right now she is eating fruits, veggies, soy milk, chicken, pasta. So even if we figure it out she might not be able to eat in the buffet - but might have to do room service and main dining room.

Do I take it that you want me to send you the Fun Factory pictures to your e-mail address???? Please confirm and I'll do that this evening.

FWIW, I have found the Fun Factory staff to be the most flexible and most reasonable of any kids club staff of any ship I've ever been on.

Thank you I got them and they were great - DD#1 is very excited when she saw them!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Scrapchick,

I will really appreciate if you could sent pictures to me as well, we are traveling on Summit in a couple of weeks.

Thanks a lot,

mslobodinsky@yahoo.com

I sent pictures to your e-mail address. Please check your junk folder if you didn't receive them, as I seem to end up in there a lot. I hope the pictures are useful.

I agree that Celebrity has less kids overall and that allows the staff to be more flexible and accommodating that most other lines. They really do a wonderful job with the kids!

• 3 years later...

I am considering Celebrity for the first time and will be cruising with my kids, ages 6 and 9. I am also wondering about the kids club/activities and would appreciate and feedback you may have. Would also love to see some pictures if you wouldn't mind emailing me at kvickers@bcfht.ca. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

What are the paid times?