Dubrovnik walls & cable car

We are in Dubrovnik soon on P & O Oceana. We would like to do the walls and cable car independently, we would like advice as to wether we should we do the full circuit of walls or get off at another entrance nearer the cable car. Appreciate any tips on this.

HI We did the same thing when we were on the Celebrity Silhouette a couple of years ago- September 2014. We started up the walls at the entrance near where the taxis from the ship left us off (Pile Gate). We did the whole circuit, came down and walked through the main pedestrian area (Stradun) to the other entrance area and then proceeded out to the cable car. We took it up and had a nice lunch there -- views were wonderful! It is very doable on your own. You can buy cable car tickets at some small stores but you must have cash or you can wait and buy your tickets right at the cable car entrance - credit cards were accepted. We thoroughly enjoyed our day! Have fun!:)

If you enjoy walking then certainly walk the entire way around the walls. As Ciana said, it is not difficult to later walk over to the Cable Car Station. The entire walled city is a relatively compact area perfect for active walkers.

Hank

How much does it cost in Kuna to walk the wall and ride the cable car?

In US Dollars the wall entrance costs approximately $7.50 and the Cable Car is around $18 (round trip). I believe both of these places only accept Kuna....but they also take major credit cards. For those that do want to get some Kuna, there are ATMs located all over Dubrovnik.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Thanks for replies, thats very useful, seems that a circuit of the walls and then a walk to the cable car is very "do able" so thats going to be our plan for the day.

I think I will opt to pay both the walls and cable car by credit card, we will probably still get a few Kuna out of an ATM to cover incidentals (drink/snack for the 4 of us etc) but don't want to be left with them so will have to carefully think about how much to draw out.

How much does it cost in Kuna to walk the wall and ride the cable car?

This season the cost of the city wall is at 120 Kuna, approximately $18, per person. The cable car is also priced at 120 Kuna and both accept credit cards. Our average exchange rate here has been running about $1.00 is 6.5 Kuna at the ATM machines. Going inside the bank the rate is lower and they also have a service fee. The ATM machines lowest rate is 100 Kuna, which may be on the low side for gelato and souvenirs.

• 3 months later...

I had been to Dubrovnik before so opted to do the city tour offered by taxis at the port. We got a tour of the outside countryside (an hour) then the taxi dropped us at the top of the hill (where the cablecar goes). It worked out cheaper than getting the cablecar.

We then got the cable car down. From the bottom you could walk around the wall if you wanted.

It was great. I'd do that again.

Did the cable car first and then the walk. Not very strenuous or too long.

I want to purchase Kuna before we go. I'm factoring in the cost of the wall for 2 and the cable car for 2. How much more would you suggest for food/souvenirs?

I want to purchase Kuna before we go. I'm factoring in the cost of the wall for 2 and the cable car for 2. How much more would you suggest for food/souvenirs?

It depends on what you will be eating. Fresh fish is sold by the kilo, so a 2 kilo fish can cost about 200 Kuna. Pizza is inexpensive, cost is about 60 to 70 Kuna and they are small and enough for one person. Why do you just pick a restaurant and pay with a credit card. Also FYI, you can use a credit/debit card on both the cable car and city wall.

It depends on what you will be eating. Fresh fish is sold by the kilo, so a 2 kilo fish can cost about 200 Kuna. Pizza is inexpensive, cost is about 60 to 70 Kuna and they are small and enough for one person. Why do you just pick a restaurant and pay with a credit card. Also FYI, you can use a credit/debit card on both the cable car and city wall.

Thanks so much for the info! :)