Egypt in 2014?

pke-atlanta

Sekhmet: Yes, we have several books and have done some historical research on Egypt, great tip!!!! And, we will definitely look for your "name-sake" while traveling. We are going to Karnak so I'm sure there will be many sightings. Thanks again! Bee and Jer

Hawkeye1947: Thanks for the tips!!! Glad you mentioned about the shopping and buying, because I do plan on mingling with the locals. That's the best part. You are so fortunate to have visited so many times. I will report back on our trip. :-) thanks!!! Bee and JER

I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip. If you don't mind my asking, what tour company are you using for tour trip?

I used Grand Circle Travel 4 out of 5 times and was very happy with them, but they have suspended travel to Egypt and I want to return soon.

Hawkeye: Going with Viking River Cruises to Egypt. Fly to Cairo, stay there for four days, then fly to Luxor, board the MS Mayfair (boat) for four days. Then board the MS Omar (boat) for three days then fly back to Cairo and home, (Illinois). Should be exciting. We like Viking River cruises. We have traveled with them to Europe and China and they do a pretty good job. :-) Bee and Jer

Here is a tip you should keep in mind for you and other members of the tour. If anyone should happen to get the "The Pharoah's Revenge" try the local cure of black coffee with a few squeezes of lemon. The lemons we had were green and look like limes.

Most of the ships sell an inexpensive medication for the stomach, as do all the pharmacies. It's okay but nothing like the black coffee & lemon to work immediately. A tour guide once told us about this local cure, and it worked.

We were in Luxor & Cairo in early May, 2013 at the end of a Regent cruise and really enjoyed Egypt. We were careful about what we ate & drank (most meals at hotels) & we did not get Pharoah's revenge. Enjoy.

Dear dabear: Glad to hear you stayed healthy, sure hope we do!!! Yes, we will have to watch what we eat and drink. Which is too bad because we both love trying new and different foods. Guess we will just be smart about our food decisions. Thanks! GO BEARS!!! Bee and Jer (just two hours west in Sterling, Il)

Dear dabear: Glad to hear you stayed healthy, sure hope we do!!! Yes, we will have to watch what we eat and drink. Which is too bad because we both love trying new and different foods. Guess we will just be smart about our food decisions. Thanks! GO BEARS!!! Bee and Jer (just two hours west in Sterling, Il)

One thing I would suggest ,if you have local guides as part of your cruise. Assuming they are Egyptologists, they are quite educated and were open to answering all questions, including some that I would not ask in other countries. In fact, they told us that there would be a revolution in June, 2013, when the price supports for gas, etc would be stopped.

While dw and I sometimes like to experiment with foods, caution is suggested in Egypt.

As far as the Bears, I don't think you will miss much while on your trip!.

Edited by dabear

We are in Egypt NOW.......OCT 9-21, 2014. It is AMAZING! Viking River cruises are treating us like Kings and Queens! We are being given the ROYAL treatment!!!! Sofitel El Gezirah is also treating us to the finest! We have roses in our rooms and just got a beautiful dessert delivered to our room!!! Saw the AMAZING pyramids and Sphinx today...... No words can describe the feeling. Our Egyptologist is Amr , is the smartest person ever!! Oh my! Don't wait to book to come to Egypt.....DO IT NOW!!! TERRIFIC!! Bee and Jer