King Crab?

CruzerKat

King Crab is out of season and will be the same price or higher in Alaska than it is in the lower 48. In addition, it's not harvested commercially anywhere near southeast Alaska; shipping it there (frozen) from the Aleutians or Bering Sea would cost as much or more as shipping it to LA or Japan (where most of it goes anyway.)

Look for Dungeness crab in your ports (same as sold in Seattle and San Francisco.) If you see "Snow" crab be ready for lots of work to get the meat out of the long, skinny legs.

wow, that's a disappointment. I thought for sure I could get some good King crab :(

Once you have Dungeness, you won't want King. Whatever you get, find out if it's been frozen, if it has, pass on it.

jmo

-Monte

King Crab is out of season and will be the same price or higher in Alaska than it is in the lower 48. In addition, it's not harvested commercially anywhere near southeast Alaska; .

Actually, There are several commercial fisheries in Southeast for King Crab. Most of them in the winter but you may find some crab in the grocery stores that is locally caught and the personal use fishery reopens 7/1/05 I'm not sure if there is a summer commercial opening or not.

Dave

Actually, There are several commercial fisheries in Southeast for King Crab. Most of them in the winter but you may find some crab in the grocery stores that is locally caught and the personal use fishery reopens 7/1/05 I'm not sure if there is a summer commercial opening or not.

Dave

I know they're harvested elsewhere besides the southwest, but there wan't a Red King season in SE last winter; we shall see about this year. The SE Gold King commercial season was in February.

If you get personal use crab in restaurants (as requested by the OP) then someone's in trouble.

Dave

Dave,

Does it taste that much better if it has never been frozen? Just curious.

How cool to live in Alaska!! You must have some pretty thick blood ;)

Dave,

Does it taste that much better if it has never been frozen? Just curious.

How cool to live in Alaska!! You must have some pretty thick blood ;)

Yes, Fresh is definitely the way to go. My preferred way to catch king crab is to Scuba Dive for them in winter. We are allowed 20 per year and I only average about 2. We eat them fresh and never freeze them. In fact the only thing we freeze for the winter is Halibut and smoked salmon.

Thick Blood shh a little secret. Southeast winters are milder than most of the midwest just darker.

Dave

Does it taste that much better if it has never been frozen? QUOTE]

If you've enjoyed "previously frozen" crab in the past, you'll get pretty much the exact same taste no matter where you get that crab (be it Florida or Alaska)..It's not that frozen tastes "bad" to me it just loses flavor.

Dave-I don't know what it is, but I can't get my wife to go back for her 30th reunion of the Juneau Douglas Crimson Bears Class of 1975 this summer. I offered to go with her, have her go by herself, and nothing is working. :(

-Monte

Yes, Fresh is definitely the way to go. My preferred way to catch king crab is to Scuba Dive for them in winter. We are allowed 20 per year and I only average about 2. We eat them fresh and never freeze them. In fact the only thing we freeze for the winter is Halibut and smoked salmon.

Thick Blood shh a little secret. Southeast winters are milder than most of the midwest just darker.

Dave

How lucky are you???

About the crabs that is, as far as thick blood, I'm in the Southwest, as in Florida not midwest. As beautiful as Alaska is, I don't think I could take the cold. I do envy you though.

Does it taste that much better if it has never been frozen? QUOTE]

If you've enjoyed "previously frozen" crab in the past, you'll get pretty much the exact same taste no matter where you get that crab (be it Florida or Alaska)..It's not that frozen tastes "bad" to me it just loses flavor.

-Monte

So, bascially what I get is good, and if I'm lucky enough to get it fresh, it can only be better! Now my mouth is watering for King crab!

So, bascially what I get is good, and if I'm lucky enough to get it fresh, it can only be better! Now my mouth is watering for King crab!

No, basically he's saying that if you get it fresh they're breaking the law, and if you get it frozen it's just the same as frozen in the lower 48 but more expensive.

King Crab is only commercially fished (caged?) for a few days in the winter.

Archived