seasickness with kids

diamondcharl

We have been on one other cruise with the kids. Two out of the four kids got seasick. Not to the point where they were throwing up, but just queasy. The other two said they just didnt feel right. What is a good approach for this. They are 17 ,16,14, and 8. Not sure if some are old enough for the patch. Obviously i will talk to their pediatrician as it gets closer,but i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this and how you handled it.

I have always taken ginger root pills when cruising and in a few weeks will be DS's 1st cruise (9) and I am looking around now to buy it. I know GNC sells it but to me taking it is two fold 1- it has no side effects so can't hurt in taking it and 2- sometimes just the fact of taking something in the back of your mind it helps reduce the thoughts of "I'm going to get sick".

I do plan on also bringing the "less drowsy" Dramamine chewable for kids incase he needs it. I would rather be prepared then not!!

I take the less drowsy Dramamine every 12 hours. I think it is good for people ages 12 and up. My kids took children's Bonine every 4-6 hours on our last cruise. I haven't seen that around in a while though-not sure if it is still available

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use ginger pills. DS - now 20 - still uses gravol. What have they taken before for motion sickness or general queasiness? It is nice to use something they have taken before so you know the side effects.

They have taken childrens dramamine but it didnt seem to help all that much on the cruise. It definitely helps for the car though. I may try the ginger pills. Are they just regular pills? Do they have a flavor?

Were their symptoms worse inside the ship? When riding in the car, do they read, watch Ipads, etc? For many, just seeing motion (like being out on deck, looking out a balcony, or seating in the MDR by a window) will make the messages from the inner ear and eyes match, which is what causes most motion sickness.

I wouldn't recommend the patch unless you've tried other remedies and they didn't work, especially with young people. Non-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine would be better, with less chance of side effects.

If you do decide to go with the patch, try placing a small round Band-Aid behind the ear, and then place the patch half on the Band-Aid and half on the skin. This will reduce the dosing rate of the patch, reducing any possible side effects. If this is not enough, you can then remove the Band-Aid for full dosing. Like anything, try the minimum dosage that works.

They have taken childrens dramamine but it didnt seem to help all that much on the cruise. It definitely helps for the car though. I may try the ginger pills. Are they just regular pills? Do they have a flavor?

I buy the ginger pills at the health food store. They are 100% ginger exclusive of the capsule. Just take one or two with water. No flavor, just swallow.

Hi - I have a 15 month old. Does any one have any advice about how to treat a baby for seasickness???

Won't touch that one. Pediatrician knows best. Besides, that young, I don't know that motion affects them that much. Does he/she exhibit signs of motion sickness in a car?

Were their symptoms worse inside the ship? When riding in the car, do they read, watch Ipads, etc? For many, just seeing motion (like being out on deck, looking out a balcony, or seating in the MDR by a window) will make the messages from the inner ear and eyes match, which is what causes most motion sickness.

I wouldn't recommend the patch unless you've tried other remedies and they didn't work, especially with young people. Non-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine would be better, with less chance of side effects.

If you do decide to go with the patch, try placing a small round Band-Aid behind the ear, and then place the patch half on the Band-Aid and half on the skin. This will reduce the dosing rate of the patch, reducing any possible side effects. If this is not enough, you can then remove the Band-Aid for full dosing. Like anything, try the minimum dosage that works.

Thanks! I probably will do the ginger pills and then as a last resort the bonine

We have been on one other cruise with the kids. Two out of the four kids got seasick. Not to the point where they were throwing up, but just queasy. The other two said they just didnt feel right. What is a good approach for this. They are 17 ,16,14, and 8. Not sure if some are old enough for the patch. Obviously i will talk to their pediatrician as it gets closer,but i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this and how you handled it.

I have used the ginger root capsules for years while cruising. get mine at Walmart. Also I learned years ago from one of the waiters onboard to be sure and have some solids in your stomach (bread, crackers, etc.) and not a lot of fluids. I was starting to get sick and he brought me quiche.....felt 100% better after eating it. This was prior to the ginger root. I have been on lots of cruises since and have never felt sick... I take one with every meal.

I have used the ginger root capsules for years while cruising. get mine at Walmart. Also I learned years ago from one of the waiters onboard to be sure and have some solids in your stomach (bread, crackers, etc.) and not a lot of fluids. I was starting to get sick and he brought me quiche.....felt 100% better after eating it. This was prior to the ginger root. I have been on lots of cruises since and have never felt sick... I take one with every meal.

A waiter told us the same thing. He said protein and/or apples. Also, keep cool. You will notice on planes and ships the rougher it gets, the cooler the temp.

Hi,

We have a son who gets dreadfully sea sick. Two cruises and nothing worked...not the apple suggested by the crew, the ginger pills, the mashed potato ( although this did ease symptoms) the travel calm pills, or the bands you wear on your wrist. We ended up taking him to the medical centre on board. They gave him a shot. He slept for 15 hours but then was fine for the two weeks of the cruise. We didn't want the shot but had tried everything else. It was recommended by a friend. If we cruise again, another friend has told us to try cotton wool in his ears. Apparently this works???? A option is to try a cruise where you are in port most days. Our son was fine when sleeping, so a port during the day is great. Good luck!

Thank you

Hi,

We have a son who gets dreadfully sea sick. Two cruises and nothing worked...not the apple suggested by the crew, the ginger pills, the mashed potato ( although this did ease symptoms) the travel calm pills, or the bands you wear on your wrist. We ended up taking him to the medical centre on board. They gave him a shot. He slept for 15 hours but then was fine for the two weeks of the cruise. We didn't want the shot but had tried everything else. It was recommended by a friend. If we cruise again, another friend has told us to try cotton wool in his ears. Apparently this works???? A option is to try a cruise where you are in port most days. Our son was fine when sleeping, so a port during the day is great. Good luck!

Do you mean cotton balls? Thanks

Hi - I have a 15 month old. Does any one have any advice about how to treat a baby for seasickness???

Talk to your doctor, but when we took our 18-month-old DD, her doctor told us to take along Benadryl to use, if needed. the main ingredient in benadryl will alleviate motion sickness. Lucky for us, we didn't need it!

I have an 18 month old and she is taking her first cruise in June. During her 18 month check up I asked the doctor about what to do if she happens to get seasick. He actually prescribed a medication. I don't remember what it is, but i can look when I get home.

My daughter (then 10) felt queasy in December in the Caribbean when we had rough seas (lots of passengers did). I had brought along sea bands (acupressure bracelets) as well as motion sickness pills (just the over the counter kind), and just popped the bracelets on her quickly. She was okay the next morning with calmer seas, and in the the end I never gave her the pills and she never threw up. Just didn't have much dinner that night, or any dessert (this was how we REALLY knew she was sick! :) )

I personally have not found ginger helpful, but as another poster said, it is harmless, and the placebo effect might make all the difference.

I will say this, as a mom and a nurse, if your child starts throwing up and you can't get it stopped, I wouldn't hesitate to go to sick bay. Dehydration could start, and that would be more dangerous. Medical could start an IV if necessary and rehydrate her.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app