Excursions at Gatun Lake Question

JimAOk1945

I have a question I hope someone with this same experience can answer. I copied the information below from the Princess website in regard to excursions at Gatun Lake. We have our excursion booked through Princess but the statement below isn't very clear to me.

Once clearance is transmitted to the ship, procedures begin to bring ship's tour passengers ashore. Therefore, tour departure times may vary and will be announced onboard.

How far in advance are the tour departure times announced? Will we have to wait until that same morning to know what time we will actually get off the ship for our excursion?

Thanks

Edited by JimAOk1945

How far in advance are the tour departure times announced? Will we have to wait until that same morning to know what time we will actually get off the ship for our excursion?

Thanks

The time your excursion will depart is totally dependent on the time the ship reaches the Gatun Lake Anchorage, which is directly related to what time the ship arrives at Gatun Locks. The time of arrival at the Locks isn't known in that far in advance, really depends on where your ship is slotted into the schedule. Now having said all that you should be through Gatun Locks and at the anchorage somewhere between 9:00 and 10:30. I would suppose the ship would prioritize the excursion departures with the longer tours leaving first followed by the shorter tours.

In my experience usually off loading guests in Gatun Lake goes amazingly fast. Like every ship tour you sit in the lounge and wait until your tour is called. They don't call a tour until everything is ready ashore. But usually by 10 am or so we were headed back to Gatun Locks.

Just read and check your tour ticket and follow directions.

Regards, Richard

Thanks for your kindness in answering my question. This is our first experience on this type of cruise.

I was very puzzled by the information on the Princess website, but after reading your explanations, I feel relieved. We are quite excited about this cruise and eagerly looking forward to it.

Thanks for your kindness in answering my question. This is our first experience on this type of cruise.

I was very puzzled by the information on the Princess website, but after reading your explanations, I feel relieved. We are quite excited about this cruise and eagerly looking forward to it.

The cruise line must wait for the local authorities to clear the ship before they can begin disembarking guests. That is the reason for the vague starting times.

The cruise line must wait for the local authorities to clear the ship before they can begin disembarking guests. That is the reason for the vague starting times.

True in many cases in ports, but the Canal is a little different. The Canal de Panama already has the manifest of crew and passengers in advance, offloading in the lake the timing has to do with how long it takes to get through Gatun Locks (which may be impacted by the size and kind of ship ahead of you), other traffic, etc.), the actual tender operation from the ship, and all the buses arriving and being in position.

Regards, Richard