Tour CO52 Celebrity Equinox

cruzyduzy

I am interested in seeing Panama City. I was originally planning to do a private tour, but after reading about all the traffic nightmares, I am a little concerned with missing the ship.

I found a tour through the ship Panama City Tour CO52.

I would love to hear from anyone that has experience with this tour.

I don't find Celebrity's Web site to be the easiest to get around, which is why I asked for the name of the tour. Are you taking a complete transit of the Canal, or doing a turn-around trip. Most of the tours in Panama are operated by two or three big companies. So knowing the name would help me help you. Traffic can be a nightmare in Panama City, maybe less so in Colon or Gamboa depending on which tour. You DO need to take a tour because there is nothing safe to do in Colon. There are some independent tour operators and you'll find discussion of them on this board. Most of the independents know the traffic situation, and also know back roads. They know their reputation depends on getting you back to the ship on time. A little more info please ...

Regards, Richard

Richard, here is the description from the Celebrity site.

Panama City Tour (CO52) Colón, Panama

There is only one place in the world that you can arrive by the Atlantic Ocean and in 1-hour be on the Pacific side, Panama. Your tour begins when you board your bus for a 1-hour narrated drive to Panama City. A mix of modern and colonial architecture, Panama City is filled with history. There is approximately .5 to 1 mile of walking on this tour. Women 6 months pregnant or over may not participate.

Duration 6 hrs

We are not going through the canal at all, it is a western Caribbean cruise.

Would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

Jan

Looking back through your posts it looks like you went through the Canal previously. Although it's called by different names on different cruise lines, you'll bus across the Isthmus on the new four lane highway which is quite pleasant (but looks like every other four lane highway). Usually they will take you for a lunch on Amador, show you around there a bit, a little of Balboa (the old center of the US Canal Zone), where they used to stop at the craft market behind the old YMCA - not sure if they are still doing this. You'll do some scenic touring around the new downtown, and then go to Casco Viejo, the Colonial Panama City. Because the big buses can't get into the old narrow Casco Viejo streets, at some point they usually divide up the group into smaller buses and/or vans. In Casco Viejo is where you will do the walking. Take along some water and a hat. It's a fascinating place a lot of which is now under restoration. It has a definite New Orleans feel because a lot of the buildings date back to the French canal building period.

Then back to the ship. It should be an enjoyable tour, but there is walking involved. Have a great trip! Read up on the Canal and Panama (Ah-hem!) and you will enjoy it all the more!

Regards, Richard

Looking back through your posts it looks like you went through the Canal previously.

Regards, Richard

Richard, I think you must have me confused with another. I have never been through the Panama Canal before.

I do thank you for the detailed information of the city tour though, it helps me make a decision.

Thanks again,

Jan

Richard, I think you must have me confused with another. I have never been through the Panama Canal before.

Sorry ... in that case I would seriously consider doing the Panama Canal excursion that takes you on a ferry boat through the Canal. To quote my book;

The Panama Canal Experience … or similarly named tour [History - available Fuerte Amador, Gatun Lake … ship tour only, Colon]

This is particularly valuable for people on a ship just calling at Panama, but not making a Canal transit. It is also good for folks on a cruise that is going to enter the Canal and turn around without making a complete transit. You board a small ferry boat at the midway point of the Canal and continue through Gaillard Cut, under the Centennial Bridge, through Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks, under the Bridge of the Americas and out to Amador Peninsula, where a bus picks you up to take you back to your ship.

Going through the locks in a small boat is very different than on a giant cruise ship! You get a whole different perspective and really sense the immensity of the locks. You can actually reach out and touch the sides of the Canal from the ferry boat. The ferry is a ferry, a simple small boat and not a luxury cruise ship by any means. They have narration, free soft drinks and water, local beer for purchase … Atlas, Soberana and my favorite, Panamá … and a simple Panamanian lunch, definitely not like the buffet on board, but good.

If you are coming all this way, to the very entrance of one of the wonders of the world, you need to take a look! You can literally touch out and feel the Canal, and it is a fascinating journey.

Regardless, have a great time! Regards, Richard

image104.png

• 1 month later...

I am also considering this tour through Royal Caribbean. While I am not interested in just looking at a lot of new buildings we are very much into the historic architecture you described in the post above. We will be on a full transit cruise through the canal, Eastbound in October 2015 on the Jewel of the Seas. The day after the transit we will be in Colon for a full day (6 AM to 4 PM).

I have also read about traffic nightmares and am thinking the ship tour would be the safest bet in this port. I usually do private tours unless time and distance are a concern.

It is certainly understandable if you did a ship's tour since you will be some distance from the port... 40 miles or so. As mentioned earlier the road across to Panama City is a great road and does not present the challenges that the previous road provided. While one of the major causes of the traffic jams in Panama City has passed (that was the construction of the "Metro") there are still many other causes for endless lines of cars. A knowledgeable guide should be able to circumnavigate a traffic problem within the city.

The only problem with the ship's tour is I am not certain how much time they will allot to the Casco Viejo area. There certainly is a lot to see in there such as the Church of San Jose (the Golden Altar) and the ruins of Church of Santo Domingo where the Flat Arch has been restored. I know there are a number of private tour operators that other cruisers have used with great results, but there doesn't seem to any one particular guide that is the go-to person and always available. So, I don't have any suggestions for a guide.

As Richard pointed out the Casco Viejo certainly has a New Orleans feel in the architecture. A couple of pics follow to give you a feel... The first picture is of the Presidential Palace (the white building) and the other is just a more regular street scene. All the patriotic bunting was in preparation for Panama's Independence celebrations from Spain.

5jsj8i.jpg

2pskr54.jpg

Thank you for the input. Since we are still well over a year out I am keeping my options open. We may even opt for a completely different kind of tour byt he time we decide. I think I would be more prone to go with a private operator if we did see one consistently reviewed who regularly goes between colon and Panama City with a great record. However, I have not seen that. But, someone may emerge by then.

• 2 months later...

Richard or Bill,

We've never been to Panama previously and are also cruising on Celebrity Equinox next April, porting in Colon (Ultimate Caribbean itinerary). We're wanting to take a ship tour, however I'm finding it very difficult deciding which one would be best for our family. We have four adults and 3 teens in our party (15, 14 & 12). Celebrity are offering the 'Grand tour of Panama' -

'Journey through the heartland to discover one of mans most incredible feats of engineering the Panama Canal. Along the way, youll meet the Embera Indians of Gatun Lake. This tribe lives as it has for centuries and will provide a lively dance performance steeped in ancient tradition. Then, board a boat for a lake exploration that concludes at the legendary Panama Canal. Youll watch awestruck as the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans unite before your eyes.CO04'

Do we actually get to see the locks etc. on this excursion? Or do we have to book the 'Panama Canal Tour' to experience the canal :confused:-

'Board a local ferryboat and venture into the Panama Canal to experience the unforgettable sensation of crossing oceans, literally. Cruise through Gaylord Cut, the most difficult construction challenge of the canal. Feel the waters slowly rise and fall as your captain navigates the massive lock system. Cross the Continental Divide and move from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific. Spend your day inspired by one of the greatest engineering feats in the history of man.CO26'

Is the second excursion entirely on the ferry boat for the full 8 hours :eek:? Wondering what would suit us all as a family?

Thanks in advance ;).

Richard or Bill,

1. Do we actually get to see the locks etc. on this excursion? Or do we have to book the 'Panama Canal Tour' to experience the canal :confused:-

2. Is the second excursion entirely on the ferry boat for the full 8 hours :eek:? Wondering what would suit us all as a family?

Thanks in advance ;).

The answer to question #1, No this excursion from the way it is written will not take you to the Locks. It is primarily a visit to one of the Embera Villages. Many people consider this tour a National Graphic experience as you are in a rather remote area with people who have a real connection to their past. While all villages are authentic to some degree, some are more "authentic" than others. No way of knowing which village you will visit.

No. 2 If your intent is to see more of the Canal... Locks, Gaillard Cut etc. this is probably the tour you may wish to select. The tour is not 8 hours on the ferry. You will leave the pier area in Colon and travel to the Pacific side by bus to board the ferry. The ferry trip will take you from the Pacific through the two Pacific Locks and a passage through Gaillard Cut, terminating in Gamboa. Then you will board a bus to take you back to Colon. The actual time on the ferry is usually 4 to 5 hours with transportation to and from taking up the remainder of time. Please note that the tour can operate in the opposite direction... makes no difference which way as to your enjoyment.

I really think that either tour would be of interest to your travel partners, I would be hesitant to recommend one over the other without knowing what you interest are. Perhaps Richard will jump in since he has a better feel for the Emberas than I do... I'm more the Canal geek.

The answer to question #1, No this excursion from the way it is written will not take you to the Locks. It is primarily a visit to one of the Embera Villages. Many people consider this tour a National Graphic experience as you are in a rather remote area with people who have a real connection to their past. While all villages are authentic to some degree, some are more "authentic" than others. No way of knowing which village you will visit.

No. 2 If your intent is to see more of the Canal... Locks, Gaillard Cut etc. this is probably the tour you may wish to select. The tour is not 8 hours on the ferry. You will leave the pier area in Colon and travel to the Pacific side by bus to board the ferry. The ferry trip will take you from the Pacific through the two Pacific Locks and a passage through Gaillard Cut, terminating in Gamboa. Then you will board a bus to take you back to Colon. The actual time on the ferry is usually 4 to 5 hours with transportation to and from taking up the remainder of time. Please note that the tour can operate in the opposite direction... makes no difference which way as to your enjoyment.

I really think that either tour would be of interest to your travel partners, I would be hesitant to recommend one over the other without knowing what you interest are. Perhaps Richard will jump in since he has a better feel for the Emberas than I do... I'm more the Canal geek.

Thanks for replying, Bill.

I know our kids would be interested in the actually engineering side of the locks rather than 'just' going through them on a ferry. I don't want that to sound flippant, what I'm trying to say is that they may not find it as exciting as watching the machinery at work: the day-to-day running of the operation/the locks etc. - getting up close and personal with 'how it works' ;).

Do any of the tours offer that side of the operation (I realise you may not have seen Celebrity's offerings, however, is there anything that would infer from the wording what I should be looking for? Theirs is not the most informative of sites).

The Gatun Lake Eco tour combines a visit to the Lake and Gatun Locks, would this provide more of that 'working' experience?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to make this a fascinating day for all in our group :).

There are not any tours that I am aware of that will get you up close to the day to day operations other than a tour that would include a stop at either Gatun or Miraflores Locks. Both of those Locks offer machinery and equipment displays along with someone to provide a narration of the lock operation. All of which is very interesting for awhile, but I'm not sure just how long it would hold their interest. Of course you will probably see ships and a tug or two in the lock, the Canal mules pass by... but often times these things are more fleeting moments. Most group tours that stop at the Locks usually are not there a terribly long time... maybe 1 hour or 1.5 hours on the outside. You would get a lot of the same views from the ferry as you pass through the Locks, however in all honesty that can come with periods of time that you may seem like you are waiting with absolutely nothing happening.

Much of the Canal's operation is spent waiting... waiting for ship ahead to move, waiting for the gates to open, waiting for the gates to close, waiting for the water to fill/spill and so on. So it is possible for some to be "underwhelmed" ... I had one fellow cruiser say to me... "oh yes, very interesting... like watching paint dry." Hope you don't think I am trying to discourage your visit, however I believe so much of the fascination for the Canal comes from the fact that the project was started in the 1800s finished in the early 1900s and still operating efficiently a 100 years later. Let's see a smart phone that can do that!:D

In short there is so much to Panama and the Canal, a port stop for a day is just going to scratch the surface. I don't know if I made your decision any easier or not, if you have any questions feel free.....

Thanks, Bill.

I think it's because the ship's tour blurb is so vague that I'm getting more and more confused, and obviously we don't want to miss visiting the canal after travelling so far. I want to ensure we do actually see/experience the wonderful engineering feat as well as balancing this with other opportunities.

As the first Embera tour mentioned boarding a boat and seeing where the two oceans meet, I presumed we'd have some experience of the canal itself? Additionally, the Gatun Eco tour does mention visiting the Gatun locks at the end of the nature tour but doesn't go into too much detail of times etc? Our kids would love an hour or two viewing the lock operations, especially if an expert was narrating at the same time.

As to the cruise line's descriptions of the tours being kind of vague ... remember, these are being written by folks sitting in an office somewhere who maybe have been on a couple of cruises but are putting together copy from descriptions from tour operators, etc., trying to distill things down into a few sentences that encourage folks to purchase. They usually end up with some vague copy. Some cruise lines include videos from the actual tour which help, others include passenger evaluations of a specific tour ... all of that helps.

When I've been on ships I've noticed that some people go ahead and book two or three tours for the same port at the same time if the system allows you to do that, and then when they get on board go to to lectures and shore ex presentations (if the cruise line is still offering this kind of thing) and then pick one and cancel the rest before the "last day to cancel" date. It kind of scams the system, but a lot of folks were doing it. That's why I always encourage people to wait list for a tour even if it shows "sold out."

When I lecture on ships I always have people coming to ask about the tours and my recommendations, which I honestly give them. In the end it's good for the shore ex people and the passengers even although I don't "work" for shore ex.

I understand why the cruise lines encourage you to book the tours online before sailing and why folks want to avoid standing in shore ex lines to book on board. But generally you don't HAVE to make all the decisions before sailing. Regards, Richard

As to the cruise line's descriptions of the tours being kind of vague ... remember, these are being written by folks sitting in an office somewhere who maybe have been on a couple of cruises but are putting together copy from descriptions from tour operators, etc., trying to distill things down into a few sentences that encourage folks to purchase. They usually end up with some vague copy. Some cruise lines include videos from the actual tour which help, others include passenger evaluations of a specific tour ... all of that helps.

When I've been on ships I've noticed that some people go ahead and book two or three tours for the same port at the same time if the system allows you to do that, and then when they get on board go to to lectures and shore ex presentations (if the cruise line is still offering this kind of thing) and then pick one and cancel the rest before the "last day to cancel" date. It kind of scams the system, but a lot of folks were doing it. That's why I always encourage people to wait list for a tour even if it shows "sold out."

When I lecture on ships I always have people coming to ask about the tours and my recommendations, which I honestly give them. In the end it's good for the shore ex people and the passengers even although I don't "work" for shore ex.

I understand why the cruise lines encourage you to book the tours online before sailing and why folks want to avoid standing in shore ex lines to book on board. But generally you don't HAVE to make all the decisions before sailing. Regards, Richard

Thanks, Richard. I understand you're telling me to keep my options open, but from what I've described of our party and needs, which tour do you think would best suit?

Please do be honest :D.

Do you know if we get to experience the canal on the Embera tour? Or is the Eco Gatun Lake and Locks more of an 'all round' experience?

I think I'm drifting further away from the ferry boat excursion (excuse the pun :D).

A quick read of all this and I don't find a whole lot about "your party" ... but, why do you all have to do the same thing?? Different people have different interests. Everyone would be happiest IMHO and honest opinion if they were free to make their own choices then get together back on the ship and compare experiences and pictures. Regards, Richard