Early Morning Arrival in Santiago - Place to wait?

BlancaPan

Hello all,

We arrive in Santiago on March 5th at 5:40 AM after a flight from Panama City. We are awaiting another couple, coming from Canada, who will arrive at 8:30AM. We have never been to the Santiago airport. Is there any place to wait after exiting with luggage such as a cafe or restaurant? I would prefer to not have to sit out at the exit and turn away taxi drivers for three hours until the other couple and tour guide arrive. ;)

It is a busy, international airport in a very well developed country. Of course there will be a place to wait. You may have to go up to the departures level for any services, just like in most airports. I do recall a massive gift shop selling all sorts of moai-related kitsch (ahem).

There is a chain called 'Gatsby' that has a presence in the departures level (If I recall) Coffee, Sandwiches, etc.

Probably your best choice, however, would be to cross the street to the holiday inn and get breakfast there while you wait.

You need a key card to exit the checkin area into the hotel proper at the Holiday Inn opposite SCL--I guess they have lots of people trying to use their lobby as a comfortable waiting area. They allowed me in (and I ate a meal there) but it did require some negotiation.

You need a key card to exit the checkin area into the hotel proper at the Holiday Inn opposite SCL--I guess they have lots of people trying to use their lobby as a comfortable waiting area. They allowed me in (and I ate a meal there) but it did require some negotiation.

Well maybe We will try that. Our driver asked them last week and the HI told him that they would not let us in before 8:30 AM, which defeats the purpose of waiting somewhere more quiet than an airport from 6:30 to 9 or 9:30 AM. Oh well, we both speak Spanish and will see what we can turn up early in the morning.

thanks for your help, posters.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry. It is a beautiful airport with lots of facilities, cafes, stores, etc. It is probably best to wait at the airport, in the event of delays of your friends. What does your tour guide suggest? Could you email him/her and find out what is suggested? Maybe he/she can arrange something for you. If I get in early to a new city, I will often pay extra for early check-in so I can change clothes and get settled before a tour begins. Maybe this is an idea for you, to get to the hotel early and check in. Good luck!