Barcelona on a Sunday (pre-embarkation)

Newbcruiser1

Hi all!

Just as I thought I had my Sunday morning in Barcelona figured out prior to embarking on my TA cruise - I realized whatever I wanted to do is closed! [emoji33]

I am staying near Placa Catalunya - any recommendations of things to do prior to heading to the ship in the early afternoon? Breakfast and..? I was hoping to stroll over to La Boqueria but it's closed! As is El Corte de Ingles (I was just wishing to browse and check out some of the treats on the grocery level).

Other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shops and offices are closed on Sundays... everything else is open. Having said that, Maremagnum Shopping Mall, located in port grounds in El Port Vell, is open on Sundays. The reason has to do with ports having a specific set of laws different from those in the city, they even have their own police force.

Edited by EnricM

Shops and offices are closed on Sundays... everything else is open.

Thank you. I'm sailing on a Sunday and picked this cruise so my Mum could see the cathedral before we set sail. I didn't even think about places being closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Catedral de Santa Eulàlia is open 8am to 8pm (cloister to 7pm)

But then, there are quite a few other religious buildings worth seeing in Barcelona, from which I would highlight these...(all "in" the city, easily reachable on foot or by public transportation)

-Monastir de Pedralbes -impressive monastery, once royal residence of Catalan Queen Elisenda de Montcada in the 14th century.

-Santa Maria del Mar, nicknamed the Cathedral of the Sea, an outstanding example of Catalan Gothic.

-Sant Pau del Camp -one of the few Romanesque churches left in the city

-Sant Just i Pastor -the oldest in the city, from the 4th century

-Puríssima Concepció -small church with a superb hidden cloister

-Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor -in Tibidabo, small, but with impressive views of the city.

... and obviously, Sagrada Família.

And then also the medieval Jewish Synagogue at Call Major in the Old City, considered one of the oldest in Europe.

So you know :)

Edited by EnricM

Thanks Enric! Sad to hear the shops will all be closed!

Would there be a point in taking a pre-cruise walk down La Ramblas considering everything will be closed?

Any restaurant recommendations in the Catalunya or Universitat areas for breakfast? Alternatively, I'd be willing to head to La Ramblas if you think it would still be worthwhile! :)

The Catedral de Santa Eulàlia is open 8am to 8pm (cloister to 7pm)

But then, there are quite a few other religious buildings worth seeing in Barcelona, from which I would highlight these...(all "in" the city, easily reachable on foot or by public transportation)

-Monastir de Pedralbes -impressive monastery, once royal residence of Catalan Queen Elisenda de Montcada in the 14th century.

-Santa Maria del Mar, nicknamed the Cathedral of the Sea, an outstanding example of Catalan Gothic.

-Sant Pau del Camp -one of the few Romanesque churches left in the city

-Sant Just i Pastor -the oldest in the city, from the 4th century

-Puríssima Concepció -small church with a superb hidden cloister

-Temple Expiatori del Sagrat Cor -in Tibidabo, small, but with impressive views of the city.

... and obviously, Sagrada Família.

And then also the medieval Jewish Synagogue at Call Major in the Old City, considered one of the oldest in Europe.

So you know :)

Thank you so much for your recommendations. I'll google them.

Thank you so much for your recommendations. I'll google them.

You don't have to google them. Just click on the underlined words. Those are links that will take you to the information.

Ah yes sorry Ned11, I assumed you already knew :D The rule on Internet is that anything underscored is 'clickable' meaning it takes you to another web page.

In this particular instance, all the links above don't necessarily take you to another web page, some of them I've linked to an image or a video, for you to have a visual clue on what it is. If you need further info on those (location, schedules, etc.) then do Google for them.

For those not 'that' familiar with the Internet...

Also to mention that when browsing a web page in a language other than your own, you should look -normally at the top of the page, either on the left or the right-hand side- for indications whether that page has a version in other languages so maybe you can switch to yours. Sometimes there are small flags, or the names of the languages the page is available in, or the word "languages" -which can be in itself in another language of course :), etc.

Yet since many pages are only written in the original language, another 'tip' is to use a translator, which will offer you a reasonable translation of the original text thus you can at least *know what's about*. In order to do so, simply cut and paste the URL -the long address commencing http://www..... located in the small window at the top of the browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc); then open a translator (ie. http://translate.google.com) and paste the above in the box on the left. And click the "Translate" button... then magic, you'll see the page translated into English -or any other language you choose. Note though that Mr. Google is very poor at handling language translations and sometimes (many in fact!), the results are quite laughable as they make little sense.

Lastly to mention than many of the government sites and other tourist related sites in Catalonia -capital city is Barcelona-, whether from the Catalan Government or many of the City/Town Halls and obviously from tourist-related establishments, will offer their websites also in other languages other than the local language Catalan, such as Spanish and English at the very least, but also sometimes in others too. Thus try first to look for the small flags or the language words at the beginning of the page as mentioned earlier.

Edited by EnricM

Ah yes sorry Ned11, I assumed you already knew :D The rule on Internet is that anything underscored is 'clickable' meaning it takes you to another web page.

In this particular instance, all the links above don't necessarily take you to another web page, some of them I've linked to an image or a video, for you to have a visual clue on what it is. If you need further info on those (location, schedules, etc.) then do Google for them.

For those not 'that' familiar with the Internet...

Also to mention that when browsing a web page in a language other than your own, you should look -normally at the top of the page, either on the left or the right-hand side- for indications whether that page has a version in other languages so maybe you can switch to yours. Sometimes there are small flags, or the names of the languages the page is available in, or the word "languages" -which can be in itself in another language of course :), etc.

Yet since many pages are only written in the original language, another 'tip' is to use a translator, which will offer you a reasonable translation of the original text thus you can at least *know what's about*. In order to do so, simply cut and paste the URL -the long address commencing http://www..... located in the small window at the top of the browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc); then open a translator (ie. http://translate.google.com) and paste the above in the box on the left. And click the "Translate" button... then magic, you'll see the page translated into English -or any other language you choose. Note though that Mr. Google is very poor at handling language translations and sometimes (many in fact!), the results are quite laughable as they make little sense.

Lastly to mention than many of the government sites and other tourist related sites in Catalonia -capital city is Barcelona-, whether from the Catalan Government or many of the City/Town Halls and obviously from tourist-related establishments, will offer their websites also in other languages other than the local language Catalan, such as Spanish and English at the very least, but also sometimes in others too. Thus try first to look for the small flags or the language words at the beginning of the page as mentioned earlier.

Thank you. [emoji4]

Hi all!

Just as I thought I had my Sunday morning in Barcelona figured out prior to embarking on my TA cruise - I realized whatever I wanted to do is closed! [emoji33]

I am staying near Placa Catalunya - any recommendations of things to do prior to heading to the ship in the early afternoon? Breakfast and..? I was hoping to stroll over to La Boqueria but it's closed! As is El Corte de Ingles (I was just wishing to browse and check out some of the treats on the grocery level).

Other thoughts?

The gothic cathedral Sagrada Familia is open we are going at 9.30 am and have booked in advance on the internet, but you can queue and go in, and I'm told that it is well worth the visit.