Cruise Virgin Seeking Feedback

Beachiekeen

Hello! Hubby (40) and I (45) are planning to take a 7-day cruise to the Bahamas on Carnival Magic March 15 out of Galveston. Ports are Key West, Freeport and Nassau. Hubby has cruised twice, once many years ago and once fairly recently on RC but this will be my first time.

We plan to go into the city in Key West, to the beach in Freeport and to Atlantis (full access pass) in Nassau. We are leaving from our home state so no flights to worry about and I am trying to convince hubby to get to Galveston the night before.

Anything we should know? Will Atlantis be a zoo? When should we book--we do plan to do it soon. Is it best just to book on the Carnival website? And Atlantis and transport to the other ports--is it ok to book that through the ship also?

I have already started reading some of the threads and will continue but am finding it all a bit overwhelming so I thought I'd post and see if you guys thought our plans looked ok. Thanks for any thoughts or tips!

Well, Key West is Key West, and what more do you need to know or say. It is a wild, fun place.

Atlantis gets busy, but for more specific information as to whether you should book through the ship or not, go to the Ports of Call section of these boards, and read what others have posted, and then ask detailed questions when you think you have the lay of the land.

Did this same cruise a couple of years ago. We spent the night before in Galveston so we were close to the port that morning.

We rented bikes in Key West and really enjoyed seeing the island that way. Don't miss Kermit's and frozen key lime pie on on a stick. Some friends did the tour around the island where you can get on and off and really liked that.

Didn't care for Freeport and only got off the ship for a bit.

As far as Nassau, I have heard that getting a room at the Comfort Suites is a cheaper way to get wristbands for Atlantis. Consider how long/what time you'll be in port compared to the hours it is open. You might also check the port schedule to see how many other ships and which ones are in port that day because that may make a difference in how crowded it is. The water taxi is a great way to get over to Atlantis. I preferred that over the regular taxi I took on a previous trip. If you decide to just go to the beach, there is a fee public beach right next to Atlantis.

Beware of the braiding pavilions in Nassau.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Did you say March of next year. Please make sure it is not the week of school break, or you will be surrounded with kids everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I have kids too, but march break is not a week I would choose to be on vacation on a cruise, especially Carnival.

Oh thank you for directing me to the ports of call section, will go there next. I'm still trying to figure out what to post where. Well March 15 is not our local spring break but it may be somewhere. Hubby is a teacher so we are a bit limited on when we can vacation (spring, summer, fall). I'm a bit worried but we decided to just go for it! Thanks for the helpful replies.

Always spend the night locally before the cruise. There are hotels that allow you to leave your car free up to 25 days just for one nights stay. Plus many of them include a free breakfast and a nominal charge for a van to the port. You are on your own for the return trip so be prepared to pay for a taxi. In Key West we liked the HOHO bus and Mel Fisher's Museum.

Always spend the night locally before the cruise. There are hotels that allow you to leave your car free up to 25 days just for one nights stay. Plus many of them include a free breakfast and a nominal charge for a van to the port. You are on your own for the return trip so be prepared to pay for a taxi. In Key West we liked the HOHO bus and Mel Fisher's Museum.

The Holiday Inn near the Galveston cruiseport has a free shuttle to and from the port, and free parking to 30 days. :D