Observations on Summit 6/12/16 Cruise and Cabin 1140

drychi

Good Afternoon Southernbreezes. I guess my thinking on the hired car vs. taxi question was based on several things. First, over the years my experiences with taxis as far as driving safety, language skills, and cleanliness have varied from terrible to great. Second, I had never been to Newark Airport or Cape Liberty Cruise Port so I had no prior knowledge about the quality of taxi services and wanted to maximize my chance of a smooth, worry free experience. Third, my experiences with hired cars has been uniformly good with regard to the factors mentioned in First above. Fourth, as

DrivesLikeMario stated the hired cars normally seem to be more experienced at ways to get into and out of the port area, whereas taxis, who may not go to the port as often, may have problems and are running a meter while they solve the problem. Fifth, The difference in fees for taxi vs. limo were not so great as to be a consideration.

Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

Good afternoon Iamthesea. Sorry you had that experience in Amsterdam. I did not think about this until your comment, but when we were outside the terminal with Destination Dave, he introduced us to Joe who was the Celebrity transportation boss for that port. Joe was in radio contact with the driver and knew exactly where the car was when we came outside. I got the impression that Joe's job is to make sure Celebrity ground transportation is where it is supposed to be when it is supposed to be there. Had there been problems like you experienced in Amsterdam I believe Joe's job is to make sure it does not impact port transportation for Celebrity airport bus, tour, or private car transfers. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

Thanks for all of the kind comments about my post. I am glad that our experiences are helpful. I have certainly learned many things and enjoyed some great exchanges on Cruise Critic over the years. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda