Shipwreck beach bar vs Raggae Beach Bar

MuffyKismet

I have done some reading on both and looked at some great pics on both BUT would love to get some feedback from those of you that have gone to these and and sway me one way or the other!!! The views from Shipwreck Beach Bar look amazing!!! Not too shabby at Raggae Bar either??? Do you see my dilema LOL! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I have done some reading on both and looked at some great pics on both BUT would love to get some feedback from those of you that have gone to these and and sway me one way or the other!!! The views from Shipwreck Beach Bar look amazing!!! Not too shabby at Raggae Bar either??? Do you see my dilema LOL! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

They are very similar. Cockleshell might be wider, sand wise. Shipwreck beach is kind of narrow. Shipwreck pretty much has the one bar there, Shipwreck Bar & Grill whereas Cockleshell has 2 or 3 bar/restaurants. Both beaches are funky-like...not to be confused with the beaches of St Thomas or Antigua. And distance could be a factor...Cockleshell is at the very end of the island. I've been to both and they both have chairs, umbrellas, sand, and water...what more to you need.

Map of St Kitts...Shipwreck is at North Friars Bay

SKN_Beaches1_zpsc8194463.jpg

Cockleshell...

DSCN9069_zps3fa56b3e.jpg

DSCN9099_zpsbe5ba817.jpg

Shipwreck

DSCN3549.jpg

DSCN3551.jpg

To get to either beach you will have to go over Timothy Hill. Tell your driver to stop there for some photo's...pretty nice view from there, no?

DSCN3546.jpg

I'm leaving on the Explorer this afternoon and will be in St Kitts on Sunday. Going to go to Shipwreck this time around.

The last photo is from Sir Timothy Hill. In background is North & South Friars Bays. To the left, on the Atlantic, is North Friars Beach. There are no facilities or restaurants/bars there. On the right is South Friars Beach. There are several beach restaurant/bars located here. The far peak in the distance is Nevis.

thanks for the pictures and comments!!!!! I think I will do shipwreck I just like the "cast away" look of it! I am looking forward to stopping at Timmothy Hill, what a GREAT spot. Thanks again, Have fun our your cruise!!!! We will be on the Breeze Sept 13th with scrappynancy.

OK paul I think I am sold on my original choice of the Reggae Beach Bar on Turtle Beach which of course has the killer view of Nevis (a little further drive out to it from the port but what the heck it is all a beautiful drive)!!!!! OK Reggae Beach Bar it is ! If we ever go again we can try the Shipwreck bar and grill!

Anybody else out that wants to try to sway me the other way again LOL!! I have until Sept. 13th to figure this out LOL!!!!

The last photo is from Sir Timothy Hill. In background is North & South Friars Bays. To the left, on the Atlantic, is North Friars Beach. There are no facilities or restaurants/bars there. On the right is South Friars Beach. There are several beach restaurant/bars located here. The far peak in the distance is Nevis.

The photo also shows the road in the foreground when it was open. A few weeks ago it was closed and a huge excavation being gouged out, with boulders the size of armchairs bounding off the cliff face. (You can still take the alternate route).

The road between Shipwreck and the south is scenic, with several lookouts to rival Timothy's, but not much in the way of tourist development until you hit the end of the peninsula. Still pretty much unspoiled.

We visited Cockleshell Beach on our last cruise and had a good time. You must see the swimming pig. We rented chairs, umbrellas, and snorkel equipment. I did think the prices for food and drinks were reasonable. The snorkeling wasn't anything to write home about, but it was a fun time in the water.

We are now deciding on which beach to visit on this trip. We haven't been to South Friar's yet so this may be a try.

We went to Reggae in January. No pig, but the best pina coladas on our trip. :-) Bar and food service on the beach, and you can get an aloe massage under the trees. The only slightly annoying thing was two different massage ladies in competition with each other "fighting" over my husband and who he was going to choose for his massage. :D

Beautiful drive there, lots of wild monkeys. We also rented a two-person kayak and paddled around and enjoyed the views of Nevis and pretended we were working off our conch fritters that we had for lunch.

The pig, Wilbur, is no longer alive.

When I took these pics in 2011 I thought we'd go to Cockleshell and see Wilbert walking around and taking a dip. But as you can see he got so fat and old (I guess) that at that time he hadn't even stood up in months. And yes, he has since gone to that big sty in the sky.

DSCN9126_zps00f45c32.jpg

DSCN9064_zps7c807c5b.jpg

There are places at both beaches where you can rent a lounge chair and umbrella. The view from Cockleshell to Nevis is hard to beat.

We were just at Shipwreck this past Sunday. Chairs were $3 each and an umbrella (thatched umbrella) was $4.

On weekends they cook breakfast outdoor at the bar until 11:00. If I knew that I wouldn't have eaten breakfast on the ship because it looked great. Had some conch fritters for lunch which were very tasty. Carib beers were $3.

Most of the beachfront here at Shipwreck is rocky/coral. There is only a small sandy/less rocky area to swim. There is also a wooden platform to swim out to. A lot of people were snorkling. They have a decent bathroom setup and outdoor showers. By noon the place was packed. My taxi driver said its a popular beach for students on the weekend.

This beach is best described as funky. Chairs are tightly packed together and the strip of sand is very narrow. If you are looking for more open spaces I'd choose Cockleshell or Frigate bay, which is very close to the port but kind of desolate. Quite a few people I talked to on my ship went to Carambola Beach Club which shares S Friars with Shipwreck and is more exclusive, at least by St Kitts standards.

Check it out....http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g147375-d2481096-i38364903-Carambola_Beach_Club-Basseterre_St_Kitts_St_Kitts_and_Nevis.html

• 4 weeks later...

According to the Discover St Kitts web page: 6 pax one way to South Friars Beach $24 US dollars for the ride, 6 pax one way to Cockelshell Beach $42 US dollars. This is the fare quoted from Basseterre. The price quoted is for the ride, so to South Friars it is $4 each way per person.

The fares are regulated so ask the driver to give you the quoted fares. They may even be posted in the port area. Most drivers are very honest, respect them & their country and you will be treated accordingly.

We went to Reggae in January. No pig, but the best pina coladas on our trip. :-) Bar and food service on the beach, and you can get an aloe massage under the trees. The only slightly annoying thing was two different massage ladies in competition with each other "fighting" over my husband and who he was going to choose for his massage. :D

Beautiful drive there, lots of wild monkeys. We also rented a two-person kayak and paddled around and enjoyed the views of Nevis and pretended we were working off our conch fritters that we had for lunch.

Did you go on your own and take a taxi from the cruise port to Reggae Beach ? If so any issues ? Can you rent chairs and umbrellas. Thanks