Disembarkation procedures in Venice

umpy10

Since we walked to the Port from the Tronchetto Mercato vaporetto stop, there was never a point where anyone tried to grab our luggage. Evidently there's a shuttle bus that may drop you off where porters are standing but we never saw it. Also saw others checking-in with carry-on luggage. No trouble there. As long as your luggage fits in the smaller security scanning conveyor belt machine I suppose.

Disembarkation from the Norwegian Jade carrying off our own luggage was fine too. Although there were statements about easy / self walk off not being available in Venice, we had no trouble walking off the ship when the first group was called. It may have helped that we have soft, convertible luggage from RickSteves.com that turns into backpacks. We shoved our daypacks into the convertible luggage and strapped them on to our backs. One of the conveniences of packing light.

This also saved us money, at least on the Alilaguna water buses, where they seem to charge around 3 euro per piece of luggage in addition to the regular fare. Had no trouble on ACTV vaporettos also.

The slight inconvenience of washing an item or two each night in the sink with camping soap, and letting items dry overnight, is well worth the convenience of a light load to bear. It's my "secret" to packing light. Although I still think we brought too much.

We were on the NCL Spirit May 11, 2013 cruise from Barcelona to Venice. We were allowed to disembark early on May 23 in Venice. You were required to show your airline ticket to Customer Service Desk on the ship for early disembarkation. The time allowed for early disembarkation were 4, 5, and 6 am. We choose the 4 am disembarkation for a 7:30 am flight. You needed to carry your own luggage off the ship. The limo (click airport transfer) we reserved at 4:15 am was on time. We reached the airport at 4:50 am. There was a little waiting area outside security that you can wait for your transportation. Everything went well.

Hi Dexter77- We to have an early 7:30 AM flight. We were planning to leave the port at 5 AM. Did you have wait a long time at the Airport? Do you think we will be okay leaving at 5am?

Thanks in advance.

Last July, we were able to self disembark with all of our luggage -- no problem -- about 6 AM for a 10:00 flight.

HAL managed to scare the $%&% out of me -- they kept repeating throughout the cruise that there would be no taxis at the port. My sister and I figured if that was true, we'd take the peoplemover to the Pizziaa Roma -- the big parking lot and catch a taxi there.

When we got off the ship we walked over to a bunch of vans that were parked and asked the drivers how much to take us to the airport -- I think we paid 7E each, which ended up being cheaper than a taxi.

It's probably a 15-20 minute ride to the airport. You don't need to get there much more than 2 hours before your flight -- if you get there any earlier, the check in counters probably will not be open.

Enjoy!

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone.. sorry to jump in but I had a quick question.

We will be on the 14 day cruise on the Jade May 31-June 16 visiting Venice, Greece, Turkey etc.

We will actually be staying in Venice for 2 days post cruise. Because we don't have a plane to catch, can anyone tell me how NCL usually allows the guests who don't have set plans disembark?

Also, what I'm reading about the suitcases and leaving them outside of our cabin door concerns me too but I guess I can't do anything about it. Does that include our carry on bags as well? I have to keep those with us because of medicines etc. Is it just the bigger luggage?

Is embarkation the same way? Again, I would need to keep our carry on's with us because of meds.. Thanks for any info

Hello everyone.. sorry to jump in but I had a quick question.

We will be on the 14 day cruise on the Jade May 31-June 16 visiting Venice, Greece, Turkey etc.

We will actually be staying in Venice for 2 days post cruise. Because we don't have a plane to catch, can anyone tell me how NCL usually allows the guests who don't have set plans disembark?

Also, what I'm reading about the suitcases and leaving them outside of our cabin door concerns me too but I guess I can't do anything about it. Does that include our carry on bags as well? I have to keep those with us because of medicines etc. Is it just the bigger luggage?

Is embarkation the same way? Again, I would need to keep our carry on's with us because of meds.. Thanks for any info

The idea behind leaving your luggage in the hallway is to make the disembarkation process easier ... instead of people struggling on/off elevators with 3 suitcases, your bags are taken downstairs for you.

If you have no plans, you will probably be one of the last groups off the ship. So, enjoy a leisurely b'fast then wander downstairs to pick up your luggage at 9am or so. You can keep your carry on bags with you. As a matter of fact,you can choose to self disembark and carry all your luggage off the ship yourself. Your choice.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I have tried to search the thread for my question, but can't seem to locate it. Does anyone have information for disembarkation for Venice from a Holland America cruise ship? Specifically, what exact pier will it be, and what time would we expect to get off the ship, which arrives the day before? We have booked a private vaporetto to our hotel due to mobility issues. Also, can anyone direct me to Tiggerman101's review? I heard it is amazing, but it won't pop up in a search. Thank you.

Hi,

I have tried to search the thread for my question, but can't seem to locate it. Does anyone have information for disembarkation for Venice from a Holland America cruise ship? Specifically, what exact pier will it be, and what time would we expect to get off the ship, which arrives the day before? We have booked a private vaporetto to our hotel due to mobility issues. Also, can anyone direct me to Tiggerman101's review? I heard it is amazing, but it won't pop up in a search. Thank you.

Sorry I can't help with the disembarkation from a Holland America ship but I CAN point you in the direction of the review you are looking for! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1691665&highlight=venice+disembark