Smoking on board Royal Clipper

steelerfan7

My wife and I are interested in the Amalfi Coast and Sicily trip in May 2014. We are leaning towards Star Clippers vs Windstar, but our only concern is the issue of smoking on board. We have read in a few posts that smoking is prevalent and that many smokers simply ignore the posted rules and that the crew does not enforce them. My wife is highly allergic to cigarette smoke. For those who have travelled, particularly to the Med., have you experienced this and is it truly an issue? We don't want to have to keep moving on deck to get away from the smoke or not be able to enjoy "non smoking" areas because the rules aren't followed.

We have nothing against folks who smoke, as long as they do it in the designated areas.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Steelerfan,

I did this trip last year and the seating at the bar was smoke free. Before it was half non smoking/ half smoking. So it should not be a problem for your wife. I suffer from the same allergy and know the problem. Inside the ship no smoking is allowed at all, not in the cabins, not in the dining room or piano bar.

When somebody wants to smoke a pipe or cigar they have to do that on the sports deck. If you see a person smoking while sitting at the Tropical bar, ask the bartender, if that does not help, go to the hotel manager. But my experience is that all the crew are more than helpful. Have a wonderful trip, there is a lot to see. Enjoy

the whole deck is available for smokers but it never bothered me. The reasons are that there are less and less smokers and the deck space is large enough to avoid any smoker. I find the passengers on Star Clipper very considerate most of the time and usually a smoker will ask if it is ok. Just say no and he/she will find another place to smoke.

To be sure contact Star Clippers to find out their smoking policy at the moment. It might have changed again.

If you decide to go, you will have a lovely trip on a beautiful ship with excellent crew. Enjoy!

I'm 99% certain that there is no smoking allowed all the way aft (above the owners suite). They store gas for the RIBs there.

I would not say the smoking was too intrusive; accept at the small bar up on the sundeck. (The small one up on the top deck.)

Aloha,

John

My wife and I were amazed at the number of people smoking on Star Clipper 10 months ago! The rules seemed generally to be disregarded and unenforced in the above deck areas - not an issue inside the ship. I have to say this was a disappointment and annoyance. Hopefully things have changed but probably not!? Maybe it is better on RC. Sadly a lot of Europeans of which I am one enjoy these ships but a large proportion seem to smoke.

• 3 weeks later...

We did Royal Clipper in the E. Med a few years back and I too am highly sensitive to cigarette smoke.

While there were smokers, they always were in their designated section and I had no issues.

We've been on Windstar as well and enjoyed RC much more.

Archived